Fibromyalgia, all in my head

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by ReneeS67, Jan 1, 2013.

1. ReneeS67

ReneeS67 New Member

Years ago when this first started, I was told that I possibly had a pinched nerve. I went to a chiropractor and would get some relief but not total relief. I didn't hurt all the time so I thought that it was a pinched nerve. Over the last couple of years, the pain has progressed to an almost constant thing with very little relief. Going to a chiropractor gets quite expensive and since it doesn't provide much relief, I quit going.
    It took until about 2 weeks ago before they finally told me that I was dealing with fibromyalgia. I'd heard of it, done a little research, but never gave it much of a thought. In all honesty, with the onset of chronic migraine headaches, body aching all the time (literally the only thing that didn't seem to hurt was my hair, and at times I thought it was hurting), feeling depressed all the time...I was beginning to think that maybe I was just imagining all of the pain since they hadn't diagnosed me.
    A lady that I know told me that she had FM and found some temporary relief from EPSOM salt with lavendar baths and craniosacral therapy. I've been doing the salt baths and it helps to relax me so that getting to sleep is a little easier but that is all. Since she knows how to do the craniosacral therapy, she is going to start doing that on January 11. I'm not a big fan of medicine so at this point, I don't wanna go that route.
    Every day I wake up feeling like a freight train has run over me and drug me down the track.
    I would like to know from others though, did you all ever wonder if the pain was all in your imagination since most people couldn't fathom the fact that people can hurt all the time? Thanks for your time.
  2. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

So sorry you are experiencing so much pain. It's very early in your diagnosis, and it takes time to process it. Give yourself that time to get used to it. No, it's not something you are imagining, and please know that sometimes things aren't "real" to people unless it happens to them. That can take time to realize too. Not everyone will always be understanding or validating of your fibro diagnosis, just as not everyone understands or validates anything. Sometimes it's challenging (especially if it comes from a family member), however, it's their problem and not yours. :) YOU know what your diagnosis is and how your feel. You owe it to yourself to take care of yourself in the best way possible.

This will be a time of trial and error and learning what works for you in getting relief from pain. That can take time. Look for ideas from other members on this board. I've gotten amazing amounts of info from very informed people here.
    Given that you are so early in your diagnosis, I do have one suggestion for you, if you want it, which is the Guaifenesin Protocol. Guaifenesin is not a prescription drug and is generally very safe. (Always check with a doctor before starting any supplement of course.)

I agree with you that I don't like Rx meds at all either. It works the best when one is very early in getting their diagnosis, and it can provide an amazing amount of pain relief. It worked wonders for me and has for many here. It brought my pain levels literally from a 10 to a zero to 2. Right now, as I type this, I am pain free---looking back, I can't believe it!!

It's a somewhat detailed protocol, so I won't explain it all here. If you wish, however, I encourage you to to go the following website:
    http://www.fibromyalgiatreatment.com

Hope this helps. Take good care of you!

Warmly,

Erika

3. jaminhealth

jaminhealth Well-Known Member

mine goes back to 1999 when I was struggling to get a thyroid dx, I suspected for 10 long yrs that I had a sluggish thyroid....went to Dr. St. Amand who was listed as an endo and he touched around my throat, dismissed thyroid and said I had FM...never heard of it....he is the guai doc....tried to get my on the guai, but I resisted, it's a tough therapy to do...

I left still thinking it was thyroid.....in 2002, my D.O. called in a script of Armour and the 10 yrs+ of depression lifted....

I still believe thyroiid is a "piece" this the puzzle of FM...

I've been taking Grape Seed Ex for 17 yrs and with all the aches and pains I have years later, my immune system is good and strong. I "never" get sick...so that is a big one...I've talked about Grape Seed Ex here till the cows come home....it can address so much of our body systems...

Now many of us deal with arthritis too, that's me....and after a hip replacement 2 yrs ago, everything in body is worse....surgery trauma and just the total change in the structure of my body.

I take no drugs and lots of supplements...I do take some otc pain stuff and 1/2 vicodine as needed....

Sleep is critical, and I've been able to work up a sleep combo that gives me good sleep every night....

With aging nothing gets better and I'll be 75 this year.....

So anyway, hang around and you'll hear from many here....jam

To me what is critical: Thyroid, Vit D3, grape seed extract, MSM powder in higher doses, magnesium citrate....for starters.

On the thyroid that "you are normal" mantra gets old....as we age, thyroid needs HELP.
  4. MicheleK

MicheleK Member

You asked if we ever have felt as if the pain is all in our head. Well, I've been sick for 20 years and I have on occasion in the first five years or so asked myself that question. I think I asked it in my head to answer the doubts that were put there by well meaning, but uninformed people in my life, as far as these illnesses go.
    Over time I educated myself extensively on the illnesses I have, and as mentioned by one of the posters previous to me, I joined groups that had people with the same conditions whom I could talk with. After hearing so many similar stories, along with the increased education, I came to stop having the doubts creep in after conversing with family and friends who just didn't "get it".

You really have a double whammy. Fibromyalgia is painful and tiring, but having chronic migraines is also a complicated condition. Most people think migraines are just bad headaches but they can bring on so many symptoms through your entire body. I feel for you. I've only had one migraine in my life and I have never forgotten it. I have many friends who have chronic migraines along with FM and ME/CFS. What they go through breaks my heart.

Feeling like a freight train rolled over you is a classic description of Fibromyalgia and ME/CFS. Some also will say they feel like they got hit by a Mack truck. It's interesting how patients who have never met one another come up with the same descriptions for how these illnesses feel. That certainly shows it is not all in the head. How could so many patients who have never consulted with one another come up with the same description of the pain and the exhaustion?

If you don't like medications, you can try some supplements and therapies. But as you go down the road with these conditions, keep an open mind. For example sleep is vital and you may need more help with that at times. There are some good sleep aids offered by ProHealth that you might want to try.

These illnesses are of a cycling variety, so you may have one set of symptoms for a while and then they may be replaced by a whole different set of symptoms. Being flexible and open minded, as well as well educated on what these conditions do to the body over time is critical to living your best life.

I am looking forward to getting to know you and do wish you some relief and lots of moral support.

Hugs, MicheleK
  5. jaminhealth

jaminhealth Well-Known Member

do a search: Migraines and Acuncture....you'll find a lot of hits...

I'm doing acupuncture now for pain and everything and it's helping me....just another adjunct to consider.....

I've never had migraines, but a history of sinus headaches before I got on the grapeseed....they are history.
  6. IanH

IanH Active Member

Check out this post regarding the migraine.

http://www.prohealth.com/me-cfs/blog/boardDetail.cfm?id=1430193