Fibromyalgia and Antibiotics

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mishque, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Mishque

Mishque New Member

I have had to take a lot of antibiotics just recently for the swelling of my eyes, IC problems etc. The thing is while I am on them I feel so much better and all the aches and pains seem to disappear to the point that I am nearly normal. When I finish taking them I am doubled up in pain again and can hardly walk around.

Has anyone else had the same effects. I often wonder whether this illness is more like Lupus than anything else.

Best wishes
  2. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

This is a common finding in people whose FM symptoms are caused by a bacteria such as Borrelia burgdorferi (lyme disease) or some other bacterial infection.

Here's a link to a booklet with alot of good basic info. There is also a good symptom list near the end.

Here's a link to an article of interest also. Scroll about 1/3 of the way down to the section titled "etiology" and then read the part about "CFS and FM"......

good luck to you!

LISALOO New Member

I've noticed feeling better due to a decrease in inflammation when I just had interstitial cystitis.
  4. alezandria

alezandria New Member

I have also had a lot of problems taking antibiotics, it usually takes me a week or more to recover just from taking them, But even when i take them everything gets worse, mine could be an effect from one of my heart conditions as well. I was also tested for lupus when my dr's were trying to first figure all of this out, everytime i turn around something else breaks. Have you had any trouble with your body rejecting b-12 and iron?

PITATOO Member

Antibiotics - I went on a course of many antibiotics for over a year due to a bad root canal, I tested positive for a gram negative bacteria(bad) and a mycoplasm(sp). I felt so much better on them, except for my mouth. So do we get more infections becuase of FMS/CFIDS or are they are a cause or both? If you felt better on them, then I am sure you had some type of low grade infection. As with teeth problems and even root canals that are years old you can have a low grade infection for years. I still have 4 more root canals that I want pulled and a bridge put in - just lots of money, the one that I had to pull was just one tooth but they had to cap one tooth on either side and then the bridge, so with the root canal that failed(1300), the extraction(300-400), then the bridge 3500. And my insurance only covers 1250 a year, what's the point of dental insurance -sorry rambling - but yes I am sure you had some time of low grade infection. Of course I had to be careful becuase I then had what I thought were sinus infections (bacterial) but it was candida. Hope this helps at all.
  6. bzb1170

bzb1170 New Member

I never had antibiotics benefit me that way, if anything they made me feel more run down.
  7. JLH

JLH New Member

I normally have to take a round of two worth of antibiotics a couple times a year and they have never made me feel better as far as my aches and pains go. They only thing that they do is give me a yeast infection! Then I have to treat that!

I think the only thing about fibro that is like lupus is the muscles aches and pains. Lupus is far worse as is destroys your main organs and can cause death. My hairdressers' sister just died from lupus of the brain.

Lupus has attacked my heart and to some degree, my kidneys.
  8. blueeyedgrl73

blueeyedgrl73 New Member

I just started taking low-dose antibiotics for my RA...from everything I have can experience a "Herx" effect which makes you feel worse before you feel better. Some of you that felt worse on antibiotics could possibly be experiencing this... Herxing is a good thing as the "bugs" are being killed off. I just started it that past week and haven't experienced it yet..