fibromyalgia and bodybuilding

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by talper, Apr 22, 2006.

1. talper

talper New Member

ive been diagnose with fibromyalgia, at the age of 18.
    i dont no what caused it(of course) but i understand that weight lifting, when performing right, can help fibro.
    ive talked to this man, who told me his wife has fibro, and that she lifting weight as well.
    he told me to start with light, something like 10 minutes a day, 3 days a week, and in a few months i will be able to train regulary.
    for those who knows bodybuilding a little bit, i plan on bulk (gain weight, eat more calories then i spend).
    do you know fibro patients who train regulary, who are mostly man?? who are gaining muscles?
    if i understood right, by starting from light, we can overcome the pains while working out (for example, i worked up regulary the last 2 weeks (50+ minutes a dayX3) and now some parts of my body hurts.
    so do you know any *mens* who weightlifting, and gain muscles?
    i know that 5+ percents of the people in the world (or something like that) have fibro, and and i guess there are some who do weightlifting, and not only to overcome their pains.
    please help me.
    thank you.
  2. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

If you can weight lift at all, more power to ya!:)

I'm lucky oif I can walk 15 min. w/o pain and spasm's.

I guess everyone is different.

I use to work out with weight's, I used a similar protocol as you describe.

I got to where, I could no longer recover, my muscle wouldn't rebuild.

If you can do it start slow,and see how you do, be patient slowing increase to moniter your progress.

Get plenty of protein to re-build those muscles. You are already at a disadvantage in that department.:)

Best wishes,

Claudia
  3. talper

talper New Member

hi claudia!.
    first of all, hope you are feeling well, im not very familier with fibro, as it was only diagnose on me, something like 2+- months ago.
    second, why is it disadvantage in the protein part?
    actually, ive asked for mens help, because i know most women dont bulk, and when you bulk you eat very much protein a day (something like 1.5Xyour body weight and the number goes up)
    you mean, that you cant lift weight at all?
    i mean, the last 2 weeks when went to the gym, some exercises hurt more then others, but still i could have lift weights.
    as i said, now some parts of my body hurt, becuase i started big, i guess.
    what is the men ratio in this site? i searched the forum and didnt find mens post about weightlifting for bulking, but i guess there are some who can help me.
    tnx, and feel good :)
  4. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

When I was younger, I jogged/run, did a lot of swimming, chased after three sons......have had fibro 25+ years.

When I started lifting weights five years ago, I started with --don't laugh-- one pound weights, and it took a long time to progress to five.....long time as in years......and I cannot get beyond that.

Now age might have something to do with this....

June
  5. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

With FM we tend to not absorb our nutrient's as well, especially protein.

So if you bodybuild you will need even more protein to build up the muscle you tear down when lifting weight's.

FM severity varies from person to person, some are able to more than other's.General fatigue and muscle pain are symptom's. Your doc's probably did the tender point test.Other problem's can occor along w/FM.

Some have some mild/moderate pain that does feel Better after exercise, other's of us can only walk a little if that.

Our muscles just get too tense and painful with more vigorous exercise.

But if you are able go for it, just be gentle at first to see how much you can do.

Like I said I use to be able to work 49hrs., lift weights, everyday, run errends, cook, clean, etc. EVERYDay.

Now I can't do any of those thing's.

best wishes,
    Claudia
  6. talper

talper New Member

was this a prograssive (spelled it right?) pains??
    i mean, you couldnt do weight lifting and other stuff anymore, when youy figure out you have fibro, or you still managed to do it with fibro, and after some time the pains started? (i mean, how long after your doctor told you you have fibro, you were still able to lift weights?)
    lets say, im taking the guy (who told me to start light) advice.
    the only thing that can happen to me is severe pains?
    could it be a mistake, and the pains will last forever becuase of the weightlifting?
    or if i start light, and always keep looking for new/worse pains, i will be ok? (if i can stand it ofcourse)

intunejune, i didnt really understand what you said.
    did you manage to lift weights, and just in the last few years not?
    what happend when you tried to lift higher weights?
    you had pains while trying to lift? or after your workout, which included trying to lift higher weights?
    tnx to you both

*oh and btw, i guess i should aim to 20-28 years old (and less) mens, do you think there are any here? (who can tell me, obviously some of them tried to lift weights...)
  7. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

I was a busy bee doing everything, with pain mind you, until one day I went to do my stretching and got terribly dizzy.

I had slowly been cutting back on my exercise, because I was hurting more and more and my chiropractor was no longer able to help me.

The day after I got dizzy and was tighter and in more pain than ever ( I had worked w/pain just using more and more advil for about 3 to 4 yrs prior). I went to a pain clinic.

From there it took a physical therapist recommending a doctor that diagnosed my FM.

So I had been hurting for yrs., I think my constant pushing w long work hour's, hard workout's, and constant house cleaning, my body just said "no more".

This is not suppose to be a progressive condition, but I think if you continue to not listen to your body and push yourself ( that's what I did) the symptom's get worse.

My doctor told me not to go back to work and I did anyway for another year, now I'm almost totally homebound.

I'm not trying to scare you, just warn you to take it easy, don't overdue, you could end up making it worse.

Best wishes,

Claudia
  8. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i lifted heavy weights fro many years...swimsuit model...not anymore...i still had a better body than any 20 something when i was 37-38 years...it was the ad's that put weight on me...then had some shoulder surgiers...

anwyas i say do not slow down if can keep going...i want to start back up again...i have lost soem weight but now i need to tone up... and i am 41 yrs. old but i would like to think i can get it back again...

i am not on anymore ad's at the present time...you will have some good muscle pain from building muscles from your work out...but you need to keep your body moving..

go for it...

jodie
  9. kriket

kriket New Member

I had this bright idea a few months ago, that I was gonna hire a personal trainer and lose weight. I was frustrated w/ the fibro. So many people said "if you exercise it will get better." I must say I think walking helps.

Anyway, I worked out w/ the trainer for about 3 months. I mainly lifted weights and did a lot of cardio. I would go into a flare nearly everytime I lifted weights. I could not move for about 5 days. I kept thinking oh I'm just sore from lifting, but it got to the point where I could not even move for days.

Your muscles are already under stress w/ fibro. so be very careful when you lift weights. You can ask your muscles to do too much. I lost weight, but I could not bear the pain. So just be careful.
    [This Message was Edited on 04/22/2006]
  10. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

I was not in a formal schedule of lifting "weights" until five years ago.

However, being a mother of three, I had lifted three hefty sons, bags of groceries, heavy duty yard work, was very busy and active all day long and during that phase also jogged/ran/swam.

Then I lived in "death valley" taking care of my m-i-l at home 24/7, with the help of an aid only when I left my house to go to work (paid with beneifts work that is). Being at work was more restful than being at home.

But I was not able to the "right" things during this five year period.

After she passed away, I tried to get back into a routine, but could do NOTHING. (this was over five years ago now)

So asked for physical therapy, part of the program was weights.

I started out with one pounders, very slowly worked up to five. My muscles just gave out very quickly, and the next day, with any new weight change, it would be very difficult to move my arms due to pain.

When I got to five pounds, I just could not move beyond that due to pain and muscle exhaustion.

The morale of the stories you are reading is progress VERY slowly, move up in tiny increments, or this could backfire on you, set you back, and that is so discouraging.

Anytime we can strengthen a muscle, it does make activities of daily living easier...less fatiguing....and that is a beautiful thing. Good luck.

June