Fibromyalgia and cymbalta

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by chakka, Sep 18, 2007.

1. chakka

chakka New Member

Has anyone been given cymbalta for fibromyalgia.

Today is my second day and i'm on 30mg the losest dosage. I feel a little different maybe a little less muscle pain when i move but there is still an underlying low level of pain. I suspect that if the dose was increased i could feel much better.

It would be interesting to hear from others who have had good results or bad with cymbalta
  2. daffysmom

daffysmom New Member

I started on 30mg then my doctor bumped me up to 60mg. I went to see him in August because I was in so much pain in my neck, shoulders, arms and was having bad headaches. I felt so lousy I could barely get out of bed and had been that way since March so it was time to do something different because the Darvocet just wasn't working. I was taking Prozac until the change to Cymbalta. It's working pretty well for me. The pain is alot better but not only did he change me to Cymbalta he gave me a prescription for Pamelor and I take 75mg of that every night. Hope you continue to feel better.
  3. wyattsmom

wyattsmom New Member

thing for me. I take 60 mgs a day and it has really helped with my back pain. I haven't had any negative side effects, but I know others on this board have. For me it has been a godsend. Good luck!
  4. chakka

chakka New Member

I take it in the morning with the other 50 thousand pills.
  5. jmq

jmq New Member

I started about a year or more ago and was up to 90 mgs. I took 30 in morning and 60 at night. It helps ALOT with my depression and takes a little edge off the pain. I take Tramadol with it and that helps more with the pain.

The ONE VERY important thing you have to know about Cymbalta is how hard it is to withdraw from it. At least, that was MY experience. I tried weaning off as my doctor told me too and I ended up in the emergency room. After that, I just decided to go back on it since I was doing fine with it. ( we were trying to get me off cymbalta and put me on Lyrica ,,,he did not want me on both)

I have since heard from others on this board that my doctor should have taken it slower ,,,or just have added the now I know.

The bottom line is that it has been a life saver for me...but I am worried about the day I will have to stop taking it.

6. petstoregirl

petstoregirl New Member

I'm officailly in the "i hate cymbalta" camp. If you read up on what exactly this stuff does, it's scary. It's litterally frying your brain cells while repressing your bodies ability to create it's own seratonin and dopamine. Basically that means, you have to keep increasing the dose until you max out, then you're screwed.

Yes, the withdrals are awful! And I was only on 30mgs. My coworker was on 90 and was miserable, then was laughed at by her doctors when she called to say that something was going wrong.

I know it's done a lot for people, but the facts are that this drug fries your brain. There has GOT to be a better way. However, that said, I don't judge anybody here, there's plenty with worse pain that me that may be managed by cymbalta (my pain didn't change at all). Each person has to assess their own cost/benefit from it.
  7. luigi21

luigi21 Member

If you read the side effects of any drugs you would never take them LOL! some side effects are what you are taking to stop in the first place. so its all trial and error, horses for courses, give it a go thats what i say, if you don't like it, it will be out of your system in a day, i always start at a lower dose than given and build it up. I didnt get on with Cymbalta left me hanging off the sofa like spiderman because of the anxiety LOL. but then i dont tend to tolerate the SNRis or SSRIs, all the best!