Fibromyalgia and Diabetes

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hagardreams, Jan 6, 2010.

1. hagardreams

hagardreams New Member

I have both fibromyalgia and type 1 diabetes. The diabetes was diaognosed in 1973 when I was a young child. The fibro was finally diaognosed in 1999.

I was wondering from others out there with both illness, do you find that when your blood sugars are not right, that your fibro pain seems worse?

I finally realized that I was starting to notice a connection, at least somewhat. While my fibro pain is almost always there now days, unlike it use to be, I started realizing that my blood sugars were causing the pain to be a lot worse.

Thanks to anyone who can give me some input on this subject.

P.S. Mild fog day, so this should make sense! LOL.
    [This Message was Edited on 01/06/2010]
  2. fight4acure

fight4acure Member

bumping this back up to the top for you.

Oh, by the way, I know of 2 people, personally, who I do not keep in contact with, on the outside world, who have both of these illnesses.

Fight :)
  3. hagardreams

hagardreams New Member

Thanks for the bump, fight4acure!
  4. CaptLex

CaptLex New Member

You're saying that the high blood sugar causes your pain? I think it's the reverse for me - when my pain is really bad or I have a flare-up, my blood sugar goes through the roof. I have heard that illness can cause blood sugar levels to spike, but perhaps in your case it works the other way around. One thing probably affects the other in any case.
  5. hagardreams

hagardreams New Member

No not my blood sugars causing the pain, my pain being WORSE when my blood sugars are high.

Yes my blood sugars do rise when my pain is worse also. I was just wondering if anyone else had this happening to them. I thought I was the only one. I dont know that many with both illnesses so that is why I posted here.

6. JLH

JLH New Member

I have both fibro and Type 2 diabetes.

I have had fibro much longer than I have been diagnosed with diabetes. I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes in 2000 when I was 49 years old.

When I am having a lot of pain from either my fibro, lupus, arthritis, or heart problems, my blood sugar will go up.

Any time that I am sick with the flu, etc., my blood sugar will go up, too.

Pain and sickness will also make your sugar rise. I always keep a closer check on my sugar level then.
  7. wendysj

wendysj New Member

Hi Julie,

I too have both FM and T1 Diabetes. (I have an insulin pump which helped SO much with my bloodsugars.) I have noticed that when my blood sugars are higher everything is worse; pain, cognitive issues and fatigue. I always tell my Endo that Diabetes is the one disease I can control and I do my best to do just that.

I have not noticed that my high BS is causing the pain or making it more intense. Does that make sense... Sorry, I'm having a "severe night". I will keep an eye on my sugars and track it if it makes my pain more intense... There's always room to improve.

I also have other illnesses and take loads of medications. It has been tricky learning what effects my bloodsugar.

Sorry to hear about your pain. I hope you start having more good days than bad.

8. hagardreams

hagardreams New Member

I had a doctor appt yesterday, and my doctor said that the pain was from the neuropathy, for the most part. She says that the fibro pain can be worse because of the blood sugar being high. I guess when my blood sugar is up, then the neuropathy kicks in and it makes the fibro pain worse. I didnt think to ask about the other arthritis pain. Oh well. I guess this makes sense.

Life is just a bowl of cherries! LOL. I would laugh, but it hurts to do that sometimes.

Take care, Julie