Fibromyalgia and Excercise

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by marlew2000, Sep 2, 2005.

1. marlew2000

marlew2000 New Member

I'm new to trying to understand fibromyalgia. How important is excercise in controlling its effect on your life AND are you limited as to types of excercise and duration by fibromyalgia?
  2. PepperGirl52

PepperGirl52 New Member

Before I knew exactly what was wrong with me, I went out and bought an above ground pool. And when I felt a flare (didn't know what it was at the time, just felt crummy!), I would swim for about 30 minutes and it helped me tremendously!!

I also have a degenerating spine, so I am limited with the type of exercises I can do.

But low-impact exercise is imperitive to those of us with fibro. Now, if you have chronic fatigue, too, you MUST see your doc first and talk to him/her about starting anything. In any case, it's always a good idea to get a thumbs up from your doc.

I try to walk for about half hour every morning, then later, when it's warmer, I'll swim until my body tells me I've done enough. Those are 2 really good, low impact exercises. My PT also had me doing a stationery bike, and I have one that my daughter bought me for Christmas.

Releasing endorphins, which is what we do when we exercise, is a great natural pain reliever, as well as stress reliever! I highly recommend it! Good luck! PG
  3. louiesgirl2

louiesgirl2 New Member

I have a rebounder which I find very helpful and low impact. I do not go above board with it and stop when I feel winded. I can do it while I am watching TV with my DH
  4. Jodi_B

Jodi_B New Member

When I was newly diagnosed (19 years ago), my Rheumi. told me to walk "30 minutes every day...both for the general conditioning and to help in promoting rest." Yah, right! 30 minutes??? I had so much pain and fatigue that just getting through a work day was more than I could handle!

When meds and some life changes began to help, I did resume walking -- slowly and for short periods. I never did reach 30 minutes, but felt that, at least I was accomplishing something. And, for me, casual biking was great. Things change, though. Now I have degenerative disk disease and chronic hip pain, so there are times that walking more than 50 feet causes pain.

One order from my Rheumi. was "NO WEIGHT LIFTING" -- our muscles and other connective tissues just can't get stressed any more than they are from our disease.

Swimming is great as written by others above, but with no pool and the nearest one more than 30 minutes drive away, it just ain't happenin'.

I really enjoy my own version of "dancercise". When I'm alone I put on some favorite tunes and crank up the volume. I stretch, dance, all kinds of silly movements...but have a great time, feel more limber, more mentally positive, etc., etc. Note that I do it alone, cuz I'm sure I look like I belong in the looney bin!

Good luck and God Bless.

Jodi
  5. Shadowsfire

Shadowsfire New Member

and Yes I find that when I climb up on my bike I have tons more energy for the rest of the day. Walking hurt my knee and my back though. But I can't do 30 minutes but I am working towards it. I also do strecthing exersises every day, it helps quite a bit. Now if I could just lose some weight......
  6. natrlvr2

natrlvr2 New Member

you have to stay active.Even if it is just a daily walk.(or cleaning the house,that sure is a workout,LOL) No matter what I do,I am always dieing in pain(even with my painkiller & anti-inflamatory)But if I laid around and did nothing,I would be in worse shape.What I do is try to stay busy most of the day but I take ALOT of short breaks.