Fibromyalgia and hernias

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by alysyl, Mar 9, 2008.

1. alysyl

alysyl New Member

I am a 50 yr old woman who has had FM for 10 yrs, and I am feeling better than I was 3 or 4 years ago. I am still feeling horrible compared to regular people. I have the usual constant ache, muscle spasms, the fibro fog, migrains, bowel problems,Reynauds syndrome, put the milk in the cupboard, etc. My question is this...I also have had 9 hernias in the last 10 years. The first two were inquinal hernias, which my first Dr. said that women could not get. He was wrong. I have had three hiatal hernias so large that my stomach has gone compmetely into my chest, causing me not to be able to eat anything but smoothies (w/protein powder). I am wondering if there could be any connecting between the FM and the paper thin abdominal muscles.??
  2. poets

poets Member

It sounds as if you've really had more than your share of hernias. I have a hiatal hernia that I've had since I was in my early twenties and before I gained weight. I don't know why I have it, but a chiropractor used to push it back down. Made it so much easier to catch my breath. I don't know if there's a connection or not. Anyone?
  3. jess

jess New Member

Hi, I think there is a connection. Just my opinion but I also have had a hiatal hernia since my early twenties. It has gotten worse and I also have diverticulitis and now gastroparesis. Alot of this seems muscle related. Since Fibro affects the muscles it makes sense. It is awful and I would like to know can we improve our conditions? I don 't want to have surgery for the hiatal hernia. I just don't do well in surgery from experience. Jess
  4. kjohns12

kjohns12 New Member

i was recently diagnosed withfibromyalgia, and guess what..i also came back from the emergency room last nightwith a hernia. that is wierd.
  5. ulala

ulala New Member

and also have a hiatal hernia. My grandmother had one and my mother has a hiatal hernia.<BR>
    I also have gastroparesis and GERD. According to my doctor the hiatal hernia can cause the pylorus muscle to be weak. Then there's not enough pressure in the stomach to keep the food down. Mine goes up and the GERD can be terrible. One doctor gave me a Botox injection, through my mouth, into y pylorus muscle to relax it. Unfortunately it didn’t help.<BR>
    They are considering doing a Nissan Fundiplication but that can turn out really well or really bad. The bad results can be gas/bloat syndrome and possibly another surgery. Other complications can also arise.
  6. ellikers

ellikers New Member

Hiatal hernias are fairly common, so I wouldn't be too surprised if many of us have had or currently have them. According to medicinenet, about 15% of people have them, although they only cause symptoms in a fewer number of those people.<BR>
    I have a small hiatal hernia that many doctors have told me couldn't be the cause of an intermittent and very intense pain I get (after I eat too much, or eat too late at night, etc.) but I have a massage therapist who is trained in a way to physically pull the stomach down and relieve the pressure and it works great ... so she and I are convinced that is the cause of the pain.