Fibromyalgia and Hives connected?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JPach007, Oct 13, 2005.

1. JPach007

JPach007 New Member

Well this is the second time I have broke out real bad in water aerobics with hives (i think thats what they are). Does anyone know if there is a connection between Fibro and Hives?
  2. SherylD

SherylD Guest

I don't know if they are connected but I get hives all the time.

Maybe you are allergic to the chlorine in the water.

Good luck!
    SheylD
  3. JLH

JLH New Member

I don't think the fibro and hives are connected either.

Hives are normally caused by an allergic reaction to something or from anxiety, etc.

Like someone already said, maybe you have a allergy to the chlorine, or another chemical they put in the water, or even the laundry detergent that they use in their towels!

Hope you find out your source!
    Janet
  4. LollieBoo

LollieBoo New Member

FM increases histamine sensitivity is what I've read- it just seems to vary in manifestation....?

Lollie
  5. jaltair

jaltair New Member

Possible relationship of Hives to Dermatographism and Autonomic Nervous System Disorders - possible link to adrenal function, i.e., "fight or flight" - adrenal fatigue.

There could be a connection between hives from Dermatographism and autonomic nervous system disorders / malfunctions. This could have something to do with adrenals and the "fight or flight" response (past discussion on adrenal fatigue). Having hives is something to discuss with your doctor. Mention the relationship to dermatographism and ANS disorders.

If you have hives often, or if when you scratch, red lines or rashes appear frequently. It may signal that you have an autonomic disorder and tests may be run to test for the disorders.

Hives are fairly common - between 10% and 25% of people get them at least once in their lives. They are usually harmless, however, hives may occasionally be a sign of a serious allergic reaction.

The medical term for hives is urticaria. When a person is exposed to something that can trigger hives, certain cells in the body release histamine and other substances. This causes fluid to leak from the small blood vessels under the skin. When this fluid collects under the skin, it forms the blotches, which we call hives.

People can get hives for lots of different reasons. Often, the cause is not known. One common reason for getting hives is an allergic reaction. Some common allergic triggers are certain foods (like milk, shellfish, berries, and nuts), medications (such as antibiotics), and insect stings or bites. Other causes of hives are not related to allergies and these can include:

Exposure to the cold (like diving into a cold pool)
    Exercise
    Sun exposure
    Nervousness or stress
    Infections caused by viruses
    Dermatographism *

Dermatographism: a condition in which lightly scratching your skin causes raised, red lines where you've scratched. It's not serious. But it can be uncomfortable. The areas scratched may produce "hives."

In dermatographia, certain skin cells (mast cells) become overly sensitive to minor trauma, such as scratching. As a result, when you scratch your skin, these cells respond by releasing chemicals call histamines. These chemicals cause small blood vessels to widen (dilate), resulting in localized redness, hives-like swelling and itching. This is similar to the reason people get hives as an allergic response.

The exact cause of dermatographia isn't clear. It can be due to allergies. But many people with dermatographia have no evidence of allergies. Often dermatographia goes away on its own. If it persists or recurs, treatment may include antihistamines. If you have this condition, avoid irritating your skin, such as with harsh soaps or wool clothing. Also, if possible, try not to scratch your skin.

DERMATOGRAPHISM - may also be a sign of having Dysautonomia.

DYSAUTONOMIA - is when our autonomic nervous system malfunctions - The autonomic nervous system manages most of our bodily systems, including the cardiovascular system, gastrointestinal, urinary and bowel functions, temperature regulation, reproduction and our metabolic and endocrine systems. Additionally, this system is responsible for our reaction to stress - the flight or fight response. This may be where the adrenals come in to play.

Other terms that may be used for dysautonomia: Autonomic Dysfunction, Autonomic Failure and Autonomic Neuropathy.
  6. shelbo

shelbo New Member

and maybe you are esperiencing hives now as a result of an allergen that may not have been a problem before getting Fibro...

Love Shelbo
  7. JPach007

JPach007 New Member

Thanks for the replies everyone. It just so happens I have a Dr appt to get some muscle relaxers today, so I will ask him about the hive thing and let you know.
    Its really strange though because when we do pilates and stretching, it doesnt happen. Its just when I do the water aerobics part of it..Maybe my body is trying to "flight" from the activity.
  8. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

That is a Symptom of FMS, it was one of the first ones, I had in fact.
    Our body, produces to much Histamine, so my Rhuemotoligst put me on Vistril, on my 2nd vist with her. That was when I got my dx, Five years ago, on the 11th of this month.

It has been of the Best meds, for me, as it also helps with anxiety, so I don't have to use to much Xanax, which is another Good Med. for FMS. I just read an article about that, when I was researching Xanax.

Have you called your Dr.? It might be a good idea, to talk to him/her about the Histamine and taking something for it.

Good luck,
    sharonk
  9. 1horse

1horse New Member

I think we are more sensitive, but my guess would be the chlorine in the water. glad your going to the Dr. hope you feel better
  10. spasco

spasco New Member

are acquainted with FMS and IBD/IBS. Almost everyone with FMS deals with either hives or single "flea bite" looking itchy single "hive" problems. It is very common. FMS is an autoimmune disorder, so we are subject to many seemingly unrelated symptoms.

God bless! Stephanie
  11. dontlikeliver

dontlikeliver New Member

Because Fibro is often misdiagnosed chronic Lyme disease and Lyme disease can cause hives.

I used to get them also.

DLL
  12. JPach007

JPach007 New Member

Hello all,
    Thanks for your replies. I did see the Dr. Multiple topics:
    Luckily I took a picture of the rash with my cell phone so I could show him. He said yes it was hives and I need to take an Allegra 45 minutes or more prior to going in the pool. Its the histamines that got me.
    My pain was another topic:
    He added to my Ambien and Mirapex, 1 Elavil at bedtime, and back on Skelaxin 800 mg for muscle pain during the day as needed. The weird thing with Elavil is when I took it alone, it gave me very violent nightmares, so far (2 nights) I have slept soundly. I have a hard time getting up in the morning though.
    Vitamins discussed: I told him I am taking B-6 and Super B-12 Complex and Vitamin C daily...He said that many people with Fibro react positively to the B vitamins and to continue taking them.
    On a positive note: He did say that although Fibro doesnt "go away" he sees some elderly 65 years old plus, that have had Fibro in their earlier years and as they get older they have fewer symptoms of Fibro. He cannot explain why, but maybe thats something we all can look forward to!