fibromyalgia and humidity/hot weather

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ckahele, Sep 24, 2003.

1. ckahele

ckahele New Member

i read the topic/posts on FM and cold weather and was curious because the cold doesn't seem to bother me.
    last year in western pa on the coldest day of the year (10 degrees) i was out walking with my dog and loving it.
    HOWEVER...when the humidity goes up i can count on being in incredible pain and fatigue and miserable to it abates.
    needless to say i hate summer.
    the only times i'm uncomfortable in winter is when we get a 'damp chill' in the air.
    anyone else bothered by the humidity ????
    in 4 years my youngest will be off to college and i'm planning on taking my mom (who also has FM--coincidence?) to a dryer climate. somewhere out west in a high altitude so i don't have as much heat..
  2. Sissy70

Sissy70 New Member

There are definately times when the weather makes me feel much worse than other days. When it is going to rain I normally know a couple days in advance and that is the only time the weather affects me in the spring, summer, and fall. However, winter kills me. The colder it is the more I hurt. My father lives in AZ and I try to go there a couple times each winter to get some relief. We would move out there, but my husband loves his job too much to give it up so we will move there when he retires. Besides my prairie dogs are illegal there and I couldn't live without my babies. They make my life so much sweeter. :)
  3. suz41

suz41 New Member

Hi:

I'm from Central PA and this year has been awful as far as pain and humidity. I also noticed the cold isn't as much of a factor unless its a damp cold. I was out west this summer and my FM was much better. Recently the past several days have been horrible with all the wet weather. Welcome to the board you will find lots of support and help here.

Suz
  4. SPR30

SPR30 New Member

I am bothered badly by cold and damp weather, but that is due to my having bad arthritis. I live in Florida where our humidity is 80-100%, very bad indeed. With the humid weather I get swollen and uncomfortable in my own skin, I find some day breathing is difficult and I don;t sweat well, so I get very weak even vomit if I try to be outside.
  5. DesertSongDog

DesertSongDog New Member

I live in Florida, too, and I always feel worse in the summer and better in the winter. Our winters are usually mild so I am not sure how I'd do in "real" cold but here I much prefer fall/winter ... unfortunately it doesn't last very long.

It doesn't help that my AC in both my house and car don't work and I can't afford to fix them right now, so functioning in the summer even without a flare going on is difficult.
  6. Yucca13

Yucca13 Member

We have had an extremely long, humid, hot summer this year and it has made my husband (who has fibro) and I very uncomfortable. I think I dislike it more than he does. We live in a desert and just have a 'swamp cooler' so when it gets humid it doesn't cool well. We've had it where it is 80 degrees with 80% humidity. That is not my ideal weather. Allergies have set in with the fall season and it still hasn't cooled off, so we get a double whammy.
    We are going to visit our son in Maui, so hopefully with the trade winds, it will be comfortable there. At least we have gotten used to humidity this summer, so it shouldn't be too much of a shock.
    I always feel better when it is cool, but not real cold. The mountain climate always makes me feel good and really alive. We wish we could move to a mountain area.
  7. ckahele

ckahele New Member

it seems like to common denominator is the humidity.
    wether in the form of a 'damp chill' or 'wet heat' it affects us negatively.
    my boss keeps a de-humidifier in her basement to keep out
    the mildew, i've thought about buying one for my house in the summer....
    p.s. i thought southern california was a desert? is there really humidity there as well ??
  8. jadibeler

jadibeler New Member

Any extreme in weather bothers me but it was always the cold in eastern PA and central PA that I couldn't tolerate. Then I moved to East Texas, where it does get cold but not for very long - that's when I found out how terribly humidity really bothers me! We have air conditioning now and I don't know how I stood it for 2 years here without it. I hardly left the house all summer.

JoAnn