Fibromyalgia and MS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by wanderingbluedragon, Sep 1, 2006.

1. wanderingbluedragon

wanderingbluedragon New Member

Has anyone here know of anyone being diagnosed with FM and then find out they have MS? Can a person have both? I'm just curious.
  2. kirbycat

kirbycat New Member

When I first started having symptoms, my PCP sent me for evaluation of MS. I saw the neurologist several times and had 2 MRI's of the brain. I had some scaring on my brain and it looked like the white matter plaque that people with MS have. Everything started when I got viral menengitis.

I had neurologic symptoms. falling, memory loss, peripherial neuropathy etc. The neurologist said that she didn't 'think' I had MS, but we would have to wait and see. In the mean time, she sent me up to Rheumotology, that is where I was diagnosed with fibro, then later with CFIDS.

I wonder if I will develop MS, as it is still unclear.
    Yes, you can have both. There symptoms are very similar.
    If you have MS, it will come out eventually. I hope I don't. I have enough with this!

thanks,
    Cathy
    [This Message was Edited on 09/01/2006]
  3. wanderingbluedragon

wanderingbluedragon New Member

Thank you for replying. I am worried because I have been having uncontrollable hand tremors. Sometimes they are resting and some times they are worse when I try to do something with them. I also have really bad weakness in my hands and arms. It's getting hard to hold a coffee cup. I seem to be losing my coordination and my eyes keep going out of focus so I have to blink to get them to go back right. I don't know much about MS or FM. I know that my whole body hurts and that none of the pain meds I've taken so far have touched it. Of course I don't take the heavy duty stuff the heaviest I've tried was percoset. I also noticed that muscles are twitching in other parts of my body as well, like my leg, sometimes it feels like it's in my neck and my head feels like it's shaky. I definitely have vertigo and it has been a long standing problem for me. When they first said they thought I had FM I cried because I thought that alone was horrible, but the thought of MS is scarier to me. Maybe cause it's because you hear so much more about it. I can't even see my doc until the 14th to voice some of my fears.

I guess I am in a depressed mood today...hopefully tomorrow will be better.
  4. Aeronsmom

Aeronsmom New Member

Yes, Me!!
    I was dx with M.S. in June 2005...it took a long time for that dx because Fibro mimics M.S. symptoms, but finally after having my MRI...it was discovered I have it.

Love, Ann
  5. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

Have you been tested for Lyme disease? Lime can also mimic symptoms of MS.
    Just a suggestion.