Fibromyalgia and Phentermine

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by toflyagain, Apr 20, 2013.

1. toflyagain

toflyagain New Member

I have recently been diagnosed with fibromyalgia. My mother and two nieces have it. The systemic pain was dramatic and any small amount of exercise would cause a flare up. My world became narrower and narrower trying to manage the pain. I did not want pain to be my master but little by little I withdrew from friends and activities. I live near Yosemite National park and love to hike. Oh how I miss it! Last week I went to my family doctor and asked him to prescribe phentermine because of the weight gain over the last six months. From the very first pill I noticed a reduction if pain. On the pain scale I went from a 7 to a 5. Day two, I went from a 5 to a 2. This was so manageable. Day three. NO PAIN!!!
    I have energy, I am dropping weight, I am gardening and I am socializing. YIPEE. I was amazed and grateful. I was not aware the Phentermine was used for pain.
    Has anyone else had this experience?
  2. jaminhealth

jaminhealth Well-Known Member

did you read the possible side effects with this drug...I recall years ago when people where taking Phen Phen there were deaths reported from this drug...I don't know if it's still out there or not or if it's the same drug....I never considered it.
  3. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

I hope you see this since it has been a year since you posted your question. Maybe it will help others. I have not been here at Pro Health because I had an 18 month period of feeling almost NORMAL again! I lived my life during that time! Met a wonderful man, went camping every weekend for MONTHS!!! Boating, walking, fishing, have social experiences with friends, eating in restaurants, shopping, and going to the movies again.I even moved to a different town!

During that time, I was taking a rotation of phentermine, adderall, and or caffeine tablets. I was able to wean off of my scary 100 mg dose of fentanyl patches over those 18 months! That is something I am very proud of. I was feeling so great that I tried to wean off other meds. Starting with my phentermine......big mistake....

now, after moving, and the severely cold weather ( i live in Minnesota) I am near bedbound again. I am hoping the warmer weather will help. I am starting to learn Qigong and am undergoing cranial sacral therapy. I want to treat myself with more natural methods. The number of pain pills I take a day now has gone through the roof with the elimination of the pain patch. My pain is not easing. The pills aren't working like they used to. I was having days where I didn't take any for 24 hours at a time during my Good Time.

Now I have a new doc. We are still getting to know each other. He has not been afraid to continue prescribing my pain meds. That was a huge worry for me, when I moved. What would I do if my new doc cut me off cold turkey after 11 years of taking them? He is very uncomfortable with prescribing phentermine for my fibromyalgia. I just emailed him some information. If you google fibromyalgia and phentermine or fibro pain and adderall you will be surprised at the number of ppl that have been helped by these types of drugs. They help with energy, brain fog, the desire to get out of bed, and best of all, decreased pain!

you may feel jittery at first....worth it to work through....You won't feel like WonderWoman the first day you take them. You have to build up your stamina again. I was walking 3-5 miles a day at a rapid speed with a high incline on my treadmill 5 days per week. I actually enjoyed exercising! I hope my new doc will agree to treat me with this med, phentermine. Then after some time, I switch to adderall when it seems that my body gets used to it.....then back to phentermine.....I have to take ambien at night to sleep whether on phentermine or not. I just can't sleep without something to help me. oh, and melatonin....

Not everyone will agree with me. Not everyone will have the same experience as me. I just wanted to let ppl know about my experience with phentermine. I really hope to get back on it SOON! I am tired of feeling so horrible again.
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Like everything else, we have to weigh the potential risks versus the potential benefits.

It was Dr. St. Amand's Guifenesin Protocol which got me off of Morphine for my FM pain. His book, "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About FIBROMYALGIA," is good to read even if one doesn't embrace his protocol. I have always believed that the guai works for other, or additional, reasons than those theorized by Dr. St. Amand. Two years ago, I started the amino acid solution (formerly known as peptide) injections. I no longer suffer from the symptoms of my CFIDS/ME, FMS, hypothyroidism, RA, and Sjogren's Syndrome. I am not 100 percent but then, I've been actively sick for 14 years now. It could just be old age which makes me less energetic now or the fact that I had to be so inactive for so long. Basically, though, I live a pretty normal life now.

I wish you luck with your treatments. If you are looking for treatments which do not include heavy-duty pain pills, you might want to look into these treatments.

Love, Mikie