Fibromyalgia and PVC's/Palpitations/Tachycardia

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JuneT, Jan 10, 2003.

1. JuneT

JuneT New Member

I have read that fibromyalgia can cause the above cardiac symptoms. However I am diagnosed with GERD as well and know GERD can cause these symptoms too. I am interested in hearing accounts from other fibromyalgia sufferers who experience cardiac symptoms. Thank you.
  2. herekitty

herekitty New Member

I have the cardiac problems, and I also have a hernia with GERD - I do not feel,in my case, that the two are related. The reflux comes and goes, and is never a major problem. When the tachycardia comes, it lasts for months at a time, and is constant. The PVCs and palpitations come about every 10 months and last for a month or so at a time. I have been on Inderal, on and off (mostly on) for the last three years. It helps a lot. I had read that GERD and PVCs can be related, but I have never heard that GERD can cause tachycardia....
    Kitty =^..^=
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

To the board June, glad to have you join us.

As for that heart thing, I do get palpatiions, and anxiety attacks on occasion, but my heart is fine.

I also get the muscle pain in the chest wall, which will feel like a heart attack.

Mine have been very limited lately since I have been taking Pro Energy (Malic Acid and Magnesium Glycinate), also I take ZMA (zinc, magnesium and B-6). This seems to have helped the frequency of the symptoms.

Again, welcome to the board, and I do hope we hear from you often.

Shalom, Shirl
  4. Meowoink

Meowoink New Member

...hello, where did you read this article? I would love to read it as I have heart valve disease.[This Message was Edited on 01/10/2003]
  5. pearls

pearls New Member

I had tachycardia for many years since I was a child, though my fibromyalgia has only really hit me since two years ago. When my meds for tachycardia were stopped about three years ago my tachycardia was gone. My chief fibromyalgia complaints at first were crushing chest pain and GERD symptoms. I also experience PVCs - sometimes really irritating, but that is now under control with medications.

Before my fibromyalgia was diagnosed I went through heart catheterization, as well as all the different kinds of tests that lead up to it and was amazed that my horrible chest pain was not caused by a bad heart. My heart is fine. I also went through several rather nasty tests which determined I had a hernia, but was stunned to find out the hernia could not cause the debilitating symptoms I had described. Several months later I was finally diagnosed with fibromyalgia.
    [This Message was Edited on 01/10/2003]
  6. Dara

Dara New Member

and was diagnosed with it about 20 years ago. I think I've had the FM a lot longer than that but it use to just come & go. Right now I take Inderal LA 120mg for the Tachacardia. I also have lots of chest wall pain and of course use to think I was having a heart attack. Now, I mostly just ignore it. I also have GERD but to me there is definitely a difference between the two symptoms, at least for me there is.

Dara
  7. queenbee69

queenbee69 New Member

I also have atrial tachycardia and mitro-valve prolapse. I am on digoxin and tambacor for the rapid heart beat......queenbee
  8. starstella

starstella New Member

the pvc's, palpations, and some svt's thrown in also and take medication for that. it all started around the same time that i began body pain problems but no one ever officialy made the connection to FM. IMO, there is.
  9. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I have both an MVP and GERD, like many FMSers.
    If you are having these symptoms, it is very important that you have an echocardiogram done to see if you have Mitral valve Prolapse (MVP), which affects 75% of FMS patients.
    The reason is that having an MVP makes you more susceptible to Bacterial Endocarditis (BE), a rare but serious heart infection, usually acquired when some infectious agent gets into your blood. People with an MVP must take antibiotics before all procedures that may involve blood, even dental cleanings. The echocardiogram is a simple, safe and non-painful ultrasound of your heart that takes about 15 minutes to do. Your PCP may order it, or you can see a Cardiologist, but either way, I strongly advise you to get it done, and don't fret.....MVP is a very innocuous condition and will not kill you as long as you follow procedure.
    Klutzo

[ advertisement ]