Fibromyalgia and SED Rate

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by beluvdlily, Jun 19, 2009.

1. beluvdlily

beluvdlily New Member

I'm just curious if any of you with Fibromyalgia know what your SED rate is. I know that it should be under 20 or so. Mine is 47 but I'm not sure how high that is. That is also while taking anti-inflammatories. I'm getting ready to apply for disability and just hoping this is high enough to garner some attention.
  2. daylight

daylight New Member

yes a esr of 47 is high . If anti-inflammatory meds. you are taking aren't lowering your inflammation then you need to find out why. A lot of people are initially diagnosed with FMS to find out later that they also have something else too. Like RA,lupus inflammatory arthritis (of what every kind). I that is the case with you then it would strongly help your ssdi case to find out the source of the inflammation .

But also the SED rate is just a general guide line that doctors use to figure out "if" something is wrong. SED rate can also be raise if you have a infection as well .
  3. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

Mine has been 80 before and remained there for about three years - I also had PMR at the time.

My sed rate is still in the thirties/forties but docs don't know why. My ANA is also slightly elevated and my RF is also high but no signs of arthritis although it runs in the family.

You should get evaluated for PMR (polymyalgia rheumatica) and Lupus and Arthritis as well as mixed connective tissue disease.

Hope this helps a bit.

Bunchy x
  4. Hawkeye

Hawkeye New Member

I run the lab for a group of Dr's and a sed rate of 47 and 80 is high! I would check out reasons that it would be that high. I do know that people with fibromyalgia usually do not test high on their sed rate. I know I occasionally run mine and it has never been higher than a 10. Normal is 0-20.