Fibromyalgia and sleep apnea sufferers

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jajorm, Nov 12, 2002.

1. jajorm

jajorm New Member

Does anyone else have both sleep apnea and fibromyalgia? I just can not get relief. I have been using CPAP machine for a month and I still do not sleep because of the pain. Dr has me on flexeral, but that is not even getting the edge off. I am newly diagnosed but have been searching for answers for about a year of why the pain and why i fall asleep during the day. It seems both illnesses do not complement themselves every well.
    I need to get advice as to what to do next. I have been walking every day but it is a real effort. I just cry every day from the pain and get so frustrated at the lack of energy because of not sleeping. Anyone have any advice.
    Thanks
  2. jajorm

jajorm New Member

Does anyone else have both sleep apnea and fibromyalgia? I just can not get relief. I have been using CPAP machine for a month and I still do not sleep because of the pain. Dr has me on flexeral, but that is not even getting the edge off. I am newly diagnosed but have been searching for answers for about a year of why the pain and why i fall asleep during the day. It seems both illnesses do not complement themselves every well.
    I need to get advice as to what to do next. I have been walking every day but it is a real effort. I just cry every day from the pain and get so frustrated at the lack of energy because of not sleeping. Anyone have any advice.
    Thanks
  3. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

Hi Jajorm,
    I am new to this too--
    It has been suggested that I do a sleep study, so that I can be prescribed a CPAP. Those in my household confirm the presence of Apnea, as does the visit from the Mac Truck, nitely.
    I finally found a Doc in September, and we are working diligently through all the systems that have shut down in this bedraggled body, lol. Sometimes it seems that one treatment, and fix is not a cure all. It seems that many systems are involved. It's very circular. Take each finding, treat it, and look for the next. I am working on my irritable bowel, and nutritional problems right now. My sleep has improved with medication, but this is a temporary fix and will be even more greatly improved when I face and attend to the sleep apnea problem. Just keep plodding along.
    Don't get discouraged. You have improved your health by addressing this issue. Continue working on other areas. You'll find lots of suggestions for things to check here.
    Its like an amazing jig saw puzzle, that we have to fit, one piece at a time!
    Best wishes,
    Karen
  4. AnnetClo

AnnetClo New Member

I'm newly diagnosed also and actually saw a new doc last week. She asked me if I snored and of course I do. lol. Hubby says it's like living beside the train tracks. Dr Rupe suggested that sleep apnea may be the problem and we're working on setting up a sleep study. But I'm sure not looking forward to it. I can't imagine being able to sleep knowing that someone is watching and listening to you. I had very high hopes that if I do have apnea and can use the cpap that all problems will be solved. While I'm waiting on the test the doc started me on Elavil which helps me sleep mostly all night but hasn't done a thing for the pain or the fatigue. So I'm sorry I don't have anything postitive for you except to say I'll be thinking about you. I understand and hope you will find the right combination of treatments soon so you can get some relief. Chin up girl, we're all pulling for you.

Hugs
    Annette
  5. pearls

pearls New Member

I am newly diagnosed with sleep apnea and was very suprised a person CAN have sleep apnea and not snore. As soon as I arrived at the sleep center I was asked to fill out a questionnaire. Much to my suprise I had to answer, "Yes," to most of the twenty or so questions, though, "Not very often," to the snoring question.

I wonder what percentage of fibromyaligia and chronic fatigue patients also have sleep apnea?
  6. BonBons

BonBons New Member

I snore, too, and my old doc wanted me to have a sleep study but I was terrified to be sleeping in a strange place and didn't do it. Wish I had. My brother has it. Now I sleep all day but can't sleep at night, even heavily medicated. Teach6 has some good ideas, and so do others. Keep trying the things that don't have a lot of side effects, like magnesium and malic acid and melantonin, and B vitamins, valerian root. Lots of posts about it here. May you sleep well and dream of wellness. God bless you. BonBon
  7. 1maqt

1maqt New Member

THE FAMILY USE TO TEASE ME THAT THEY COULD HEAR ME OUTSIDE
    WITH THE WINDOWS DOWN AND THE AIR ON.
    HELLO,
    I KNOW THIS WAS A PAST POST, BUT WAS ABLE TO GIVE AN OPINION. HAVE HAD APNEA FOR ABOUT 6-7 YRS. TOOK A SLEEP TEST AND QUIT BREATHING 37 TIMES IN THE FIRST HOUR..NURSE JUST CAME IN AND GAVE ME A C-PAP AND LET ME GET SOME SLEEP.
    TO STOP BREATHING DURING SLEEP FOR EXTENDED PERIODS OF TIME GIVES LESS OXYGEN TO THE BRAIN,AND PEOPLE W/FMS ETC. HAVE BRAIN FOG ANY WAY.IT MADE A WORLD OF DIFFERENCE TO ME.
    THEY HAVE NEW SLEEP GEAR NOW THAT IS MADE FOR PEOPLE W/CLAUSTRAPHOBIA AND IT IS MUCH MORE COMFORTABLE.THERE IS NO CUP THAT FITS OVER THE NOSE AREA, THEY HAVE LITTLE RUBBER DISCS, VERY SOFT, THAT FIT IN THE NOSTRALS. JUST A THOUGHT!!1MAQT