Fibromyalgia and sleep

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dhcpolwnk, Sep 11, 2002.

1. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

What, if anything, do you do to improve sleep? I usually get 6 or 7 hours of sleep every night, but it's non-restorative. I usually get up at least once or twice to use the bathroom (which may be related to my MS rather than fibro), but lately, I've also had some problems with pain and with getting into a comfortable position. I think I'm not getting to Stage 4 (or is it called "delta"?) sleep. I don't want to get started with sleeping pills, as I understand they work only for a short time and actually can make sleep problems worse. (I learned this at a class on sleep apnea, which as it turns out, I *don't* have.)

If you have had a similar problem, please let me know what has (or hasn't) worked for you.

Thanks.

--Laura

2. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

What, if anything, do you do to improve sleep? I usually get 6 or 7 hours of sleep every night, but it's non-restorative. I usually get up at least once or twice to use the bathroom (which may be related to my MS rather than fibro), but lately, I've also had some problems with pain and with getting into a comfortable position. I think I'm not getting to Stage 4 (or is it called "delta"?) sleep. I don't want to get started with sleeping pills, as I understand they work only for a short time and actually can make sleep problems worse. (I learned this at a class on sleep apnea, which as it turns out, I *don't* have.)

If you have had a similar problem, please let me know what has (or hasn't) worked for you.

Thanks.

--Laura

3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I can share with you my personal deep sleep solution. I take ZMA (zinc, magnesium and Vitamin B-6), for a deep restful sleep.

I don't know why it works, but it is the only thing I have found in a life time of sleeplessness that does work for me.

This is what I do;

At 6pm I take a 0.25 milligram of Xanax.

At 10pm I take two ZMA capsules

Right before bed I take a 3 milligram of Melatonin.

Others just take the ZMA, or something else with it.

I have been taking the ZMA since Feburary this year, and after about 10 days to two weeks I was sleeping very well for the first time in years.

It does not work for everyone, but its worth a try.

Both products, ZMA and Melatonin are sold by Pro Health.

Hope this helps.

Shalom, Shirl

[This Message was Edited on 09/11/2002]
  4. TeresaBnGA

TeresaBnGA New Member

Has any of your docs suggested a sleep study? If not you may want to suggest it to them. I had a sleep study done and was found to have Restless Leg Syndrome. I take a drug for Parkinson's disease-sinemet at night along with 1mg of klonopin, 20mgs of flexeril and this is the best combo so far. I still have trouble when I am in a bad flare.
    Don't be embarrased about taking naps either, because there are times when I am really sick taking a nap is very comforting.
    Hope this helps!

Soft hugs!
    Teresa :)
  5. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

I had a sleep study to check for sleep apnea, but it was done at home using a special monitor. I don't think it checked for anything but apnea, hypopnea and snoring. (I had one hypopnea and *no* apneas.) And I had to ask for it. The doctors didn't think I had sleep apnea in the first place, because I don't fit the profile. Besides, the breathing problems I was having occurred during the day. When it first started, it felt as if I just periodically "forgot" to breathe. Everything would be fine, and I'd suddenly realize I needed to inhale deeply. Think of a rubber ball being dropped, bouncing up, then dropping again, bouncing up again, and dropping once more. With each bounce, the height of the ball when it bounces gets lower, until finally, it just stops. That's how my breathing felt. With each breath, I felt I was getting less air. When it got to a certain point, it would distract me from what I was doing and cause me to gasp or at least take several deep breaths. Then it would be okay for a while--until it happened again. I requested the sleep study because the descriptions I'd read about sleep apnea sounded a bit like what I was experiencing during the day. But as I said, the results were negative.

For a while, I was concerned that my weird breathing problem was due to my MS affecting my autonomic nervous system. My neurologist ordered another MRI (in February 2002), which showed no damage in the relevant area of my brain and brain stem.

Lately, my breathing problems seem more like asthma, though I can't think of anything in particular that could be triggering the reaction. I'll just be sitting watching television or working at the computer or relaxing, and it will happen. The ENT doctor I saw indicated that I have pretty significant rhinitis problems, and she prescribed Flonase and Atrovent. That's helped--especially at night. But I still occasionally get the sensation that I'm running out of air, and I wind up gasping for breath during the day.

As for Restless Legs Syndrome, I've been aware of that for a while, as it affects people with MS, too. However,
    my husband has watched me when I'm sleeping and says I don't move my legs. Also, I've taken Klonipin (in an effort to deal with my *daytime* myoclonic jerking). At 1 mg, it turned me into a zombie, but it didn't do much about the jerking when I was awake. So while the Klonipin might help me sleep, it wouldn't let me function very well during the day.

Thanks for responding, Teresa.

--Laura

6. motg

motg New Member

I have a lot of trouble sleeping. Not only falling asleep but staying asleep. This is what I try. I put black paper on my windows so light does not bother me and I play a cd of soft relaxing music to help drownd out any other sounds I also do deep berathing like you do in yoga. If this does not work and some nights it does not then I take benadril.
    Barb
  7. sybil

sybil New Member

i haave FMS and i am lucky if i get about 5/6 hours of very restless,painfull sleep.
    in the last 3 years we have tried 4 different matresses and i can't sleep on any of them.we had a 60 day trial recently on a Tempur mattress,i couldn't sleep on that either!
    at the moment i am taking 25mgs of Amitriptyline before i go to bed,it isn't working at all.i still wake up in pain after about 2/3 hours.then i take 2 Tylex/Co-codamol and i may get another 2/hours.then i wake up in agony and even if i took some more Co-codamol i wouldn't sleep because the pain is so severe.
    i can't take sleeping tablets,i am asthmatic and they make my breathing worse.as you say,sleeping tablets only work for a short time because you can get used to them.
    at the moment i am considering marijuna as an aid to sleep.

sybilxxx
  8. dolsgirl

dolsgirl New Member

I've been having alot of trouble sleeping lately. But, I just moved from the east coast to the west coast 4 weeks ago today. Last week my system seemed to finally adjust. But, the ole restless legs have started up, has been horrible. I've been putting Tiger Balm on my knees for knee pain too which is horrible when the restless legs get going. I've been taking up to 100 mg. of Benedryl at night and two Valerian Root capsules without too much success. I may try the regimen someone mentioned regarding the ZMA capsules and Melatonin. I have tried Melatonin in the past with some results that didn't last. Maybe with the combination it would, at least for awhile. We always have to mix it up once in awhile, as our system will adjust to whatever we seem to try that works, then it doesn't. Once I get a job, I'll be trying it. dolsgirl