Fibromyalgia and Society

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by KJ2003, Sep 23, 2005.

1. KJ2003

KJ2003 New Member

An idea occurred to me and I would like to explore it with all of you. Please bear with me as I try to build to my point as best as I can.

In the early 1900s, without having done any research, we can safely say that (middle America) women raised the family and men worked, basically, a nine to five job. Life was maintained at a much slower pace with less stress, overall, in society.

Mid 1900's, the beginning of women's rights came to the frontburner yet even with women beginning to fill the working world, things were still at a relatively goodly pace and, also, we, as a society, were able to save money for the future and for retirement.

Late 1900s, Reagonomics. Men and women fill the working world but it doesn't stop there. There is a buzz to be the best, be original, prove yourself, etc. Plus, with prices reaching astronomical highs, we have a society that, for the first time in history, cannot save money for unforeseen problems such as car trouble, illness, etc., much less retirement. So we have a society of work, work, work with less money vs bills and more pressure and stress than ever before.

Today: Our America is overrun with computer technology, cell phones, the drive to succeed and a stigma placed upon you if you don't join the band of workaholics, children ignored due to the stress of an overworked and overwhelmed society with horrible health care programs and social security threatened. Our society is over-run by instant gratification and a need to get things done yesterday.

If you stop and think about it, no wonder there are more illnesses and illnesses they are now discovering and putting a name to. Our pace has gone from horse trot to hotrod within a fraction of a handful of decades. And if there is a balance between a trot and full-throttle, it's definitey not the speed in which our society is currently in.

The more I think about it, the more this makes sense. Those of us who have to work, are OVERWHELMED with the demands we have in the everydayness of our work with the subconscious level of knowing what society expects of us and trying to keep up, even if we really aren't. Plus, it's almost impossible for families to live on two paychecks, much less one. This puts an unbelievable amount of extra stress on the American family. Top this with rising gas prices, astronomical health bills and not enough to save for the future and you have yourself a very frustrated, worried, stressed-out nation.

And those who cannot work have to contend with the stigma of an overworked society who now brands those who have to stay home and government constantly cutting back provisions for those who really need help, which we, the people, pay good tax money to help and want to help. It's not fair and it's not right.

The mind is a mysterious thing. And if our mindsets are manipulated into overdrive, our minds will also, in any way it can, try to pull us back into a balance. Double goes for our bodies.

This is just a theory but it really makes sense to me.

What do you think?

Love and hugs,

Kim
  2. bozey

bozey New Member

I agree with you. What happened to the "good 'ol days"? I would love to be in a slower paced world.

bozey
  3. elizajane40

elizajane40 New Member

I think that women who HAVE to work, which is usually the majority, also have the 2nd job which is home and children. We don't choose to work, but must. Some have done a great balancing act. But ever wonder why kids are killing kids in schools? Ever wonder why depression effects women more than men? Every wonder why FMS strikes women more than men? We are simply doing too much. We are simply under enormous social pressure. Men simply don't carry their fair share of the 2nd job!

YES YES YES I agree with you KJ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!