Fibromyalgia and the Guaifenisen Protocol

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dkrolls, Dec 28, 2011.

1. dkrolls

dkrolls New Member

Hey Fibros!
    There is only one way out of fibro and it is very hard and it exasperates symptoms in the first 1-4 months but it's all we have. It's been healing us for almost 50 years now. But since everything is non-profit they post no ads, ever. So they leave it up to us patients to spread the word. "What You Doctor May Not Tell You About Fibromylagia" Get the newest Ed. which as of Dec 2011 will be the one with the red band across the top and can be pre-ordered via Amazon. But in the mean time, you can get a cheap older version on Ebay or go to your library. It is a protocol including low carb diet and the magic cheap pill used commonly for snot, yes, I said it: snot. It's is called Guaifenisen. However you can only take one form of it which is the long-acting form. The patent is currently owned by Adams Labs and is Mucinex in the BLUE box. But do not ever try this or take this med without reading the book first, or you will get so sick you'll want to die for about 24 hours. Read the book first. PLEASE.
    I've been in total remission since 2007. I still take that med every day and am super happy to do so. I would be dead by my own hand had I not read that book. I laughed at it and attempted to prove how stupid it was by following the directions to the letter and oops, in month 4 I got my first great day, then yadda yadda month 9 and I was running 10 miles after being bedridden 2 years.
    There are 1000's of medical sites like this one and we patients, which number in the 100,000 do try to get a few sentence in everywhere we can. But the odds and the scammers are too much to battle with. And there are those who SAY they tried the Protocol, only to find out they never read the book, they didn't use the online chat room daily to talk with the nurses, they took the wrong guai, and just messed up and now think they are experts who feel the need to bash it.
    If you are sick of fibro, read the book, join the group, try this. It won't cost much at all.
    We often purchase the books for people for free as our way or "paying it forward"
    The Guaifenisen Protocol. It is the only door out. It sucks and it hurts, but it reverses the condition 2 months of Ugh feeling for every year you've been super sick.
    I got super fibro sick in 03, so I was sick 03, 04, 05, 06, 07. Started Guai in late 06 and was done in only 9 months, so the math worked perfect for me.
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

ProHealth supps are of the highest quality and priced very well. I have been on the Guai treatment for 11 years and it has reversed my FMS symptoms. I was bedridden and on morphine until the Guai started working for me. The Guai protocol requires patience and commitment. It is imperative that anyone wanting to try it to read Dr. St. Amand's book, totally understand the treatment, and make the commitment to follow the protocol to the letter, especially in the beginning.

The Guai Protocol was a God send to me because it freed me up to heal my CFIDS/ME. I was getting better until about two years ago when Sjogren's Syndrome reared its ugly head and I had to quit my part-time job. The fatigue from SS made FMS and CFIDS/ME look like a walk in the park.

I am now taking peptide injections which is working on all my conditions, including arthritis. For me, it will likely mean I can eventually discontinue my maintenance dose of the Guai. I've posted about the injections for anyone interested. To me, the shots are the ideal but they are expensive with only about 25 docs in the US who are trained in them. The Guai is less expensive, actually cheap, but takes longer and requires more on the part of the patient.

Dr. St. Amand's book is excellent even if one does not end up trying the protocol. I'm glad I did it because it bought me a lot of time until I found this new treatment.

Love, Mikie

BTW, please check out the store here before buying supps elsewhere. The founder of the company has CFIDS and he generously uses the proceeds from sales to provide this website and donate to research for what ails us.

3. Picklington

Picklington New Member

Hi Dkrolls,

Thanks for sharing. Guai is definitely worth a shot, but as you say, it needs to be the pure stuff. A friend of mine with CFS has had significant benefit from guai, so it is high on my list of things to try.
  4. simonedb

simonedb Member

glad to hear you're continuing to see improvements related to peptides! I am reading a book by Candace Pert right now and am so intrigued by her and her peptide t, wish I could try that. she was in the film "the secret" and used to be a big NIH scientist and discovered endorphins in the 70s so she is no slouch, but for some reason she has not been able to get the system to really support getting peptide t out there, must not be a way pharma can figure out how to make enough money, maybe cus of how the patent is. anyway digressed, i came onto this thread to ask about guai.

about 10 years ago I tried to gear up for the amand protocol, but I could not feel confident that i was a 100% successful in eliminating all sources of salicylates, seems hard to do, but I think I worked on it for a bit, and then tried guifanesen couple times since then in small amount, but gave me a bad headache so was put off of taking it. I have some more I recently bought to try again ( think there may be a little dextromethorphan in there which I dont want but cannot find it anywhere pure, guess could get from PH but not sure how committed am to it if get headache again not worth spending much)--anyway do you know if headache is common or unusual report?
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I have not heard of headaches' being a side effect of the Guai protocol. If you go to the doc's website, you can e-mail his asst. and she will get back to you.

I remember Candace Pert in the movie. Funny you mention it as I was going to watch the movie again while there is nothing good on TV.

Best of luck if you decide to retry the Guai.

Love, Mikie