fibromyalgia and weight gain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by michellesnitcher, Apr 8, 2007.

1. michellesnitcher

michellesnitcher New Member

Has anyone gained weight since being diagnosed ?
  2. michellesnitcher

I have not changed my way of eating.I eat well balanced meals and avoid junk.I am on med that can cause weght gain...but this is crazy.Have you heard of ZENECAL MED?
  3. mujuer

mujuer New Member

gained alot over the winter because I was in alot of pain and stayed inside and got no excercise at all. The weather is warming up and I am out walking to loose it.
  4. michellesnitcher

please find the magic cure.Also so very tired.
  5. Engel

Engel New Member

nuff said :-(
  6. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

The very basics of gaining or losing weight is the amount of calories your body needs versus the amount of calories your body takes in. Exercise helps burn off any excess calories. Also, our bodies need exercise for many other reasons. As we age, our metabolism gradually slows down, so we may be used to eating a certain number of calories while we gradually need less.

With fibro, some folks become less active due to severe pain---it now hurts to do basic actitivies that used to burn calories. Therefore, fibromyalgia in and of itself does not CAUSE weight gain. However, it's the pain and the feeling that one can't move as a RESULT OF THE PAIN. Does that make sense?

The downside is that the less you move, the stiffer the muscles become and the worse the pain becomes. HOWEVER, the upside is that slowly working through the pain (NOT EASY, believe me, I know!!) by VERY GENTLE STRETCHES and WALKING---even just a couple of minutes a day to start and gradually building up, we can start a very slow and steady exercise routine.

I started exercising with horrendous pain. The muscles need to stay lubricated and pliable. AND, it will help burn off calories. When it's too cold outside, I find gentle exercises to do indoors---VERY modified aerobics and such. Epsom salt baths and Ibuprofen afterwards help a lot too. The end result: I found the exercise to help get rid of my pain MUCH MORE THAN PAIN MEDS!!

Meds, can cause weight gain too. That's a tough one--it's no fun. I stay on a strict diet and cheat a little sometimes--it helps keep my weight off, and it helps me feel better and give me more energy. I lost 14 pounds very gradually, in about 3 months. I've also found that the slower I lose the weight, the easier it is to keep it off. It's not easy, but it can be done!!

All the best, Erika
    [This Message was Edited on 04/09/2007]
  7. bunnyfluff

bunnyfluff Member

when I had 'just fibro' exercise was the best thing I added to my overall plan of action. I had to start off really, really slow, with 5 mins on the indoor bike and work up, but I got to where I could ride 5-10 miles outdoors. I felt so great!! I actually had a pretty good period of remission.

Then CFS kicked in and it all fell apart...but I am still walking as much as possible and adding some Pilates in to help limber up, too.

I have been doing some reading that l-carnitine is supposed to help our systems. Evidently it is something we lack, so I bought some today. (Walmart, about $10 in the vitamin aisle) Also, there has been quite a bit of success with green tea. My assistant @ work lost 10 lbs and never changed her eating habits!

Hang in there! Even Valerie Bertinelli got fat! ;-P
  8. annaleeb

annaleeb New Member

my question is this......what exercises do you do, as I find it so hard to move period most of the time, and I was always little, well a size 5, and feel so fat now, because of the way it hurts to try to do much any more,
  9. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Try stretching and warm Epsom salt baths before and after you exercise. When I'm hurting, I walk slowly around around the perimeter of my house. It sounds lame, but my body needs to move. It hurts at first, but eventually, my muscles loosen up.

**ALWAYS stretch your muscles before and after exercise.** The bath really helps too b/c it keeps the muscles warm. I feel strongly that our pain WORSENS when we don't move. The muscles need to stay lubricated. When they don't, they stiffen, and we feel even MORE PAIN, which is the last thing we need.

I realized that I was in horrible pain whether I was in bed or just lounging around. I would be in bed with 10+ pain and it was not helping the pain go away==I was also on heavy pain killers, and it didn't help much. So, I thought, I might as well move a little with 10+ pain---I'm in pain either way, so I should at least TRY to move a little bit and see if it helps me. What do I have to lose at this point? Does that make any sense? For ME personally, VERY GENTLE exercise, which means walking slowly and doing gentle stretches, didn't make the severe pain any worse. EVENTUALLY, to my surprise, the pain actually started to let up!! It actually made it better.

This was a few years ago. Again, as I recommended to Michelle, I have to recommend the Guai Protocol. It made the pain SO MUCH BETTER. That and the exercise. Stretching and walking. OR, swimming. Swimming though means you have to leave the house, which you might not want to do when you hurt so badly. Nothing high speed---just gentle movement. If your pain is severe right now, just walk outside for five minutes--or walk inside your house if the weather is too hot or cold. And very gradually work up. Whatever your body can handle.

I know it seems so overwhelming right now. I've been there. The Guai Protocol REALLY HELPED relieve my pain. It's a challenging protocol at first when you're getting used to it and results are not instantaneous, but over the long haul, it's been a lifesaver. I truly hope this helps.

Warm hugs,

Erika
    [This Message was Edited on 04/10/2007]
  10. annaleeb

annaleeb New Member

Thank you so much for the thoughtful post. I do hurt so much when I try getting up in the morning, some times I can hardly move. I do how ever feel that even with terrible pain, that moving around does help to loosen things up. I do wish i knew why for the past couple of months my hands hurt so bad, waking me up to 3 times a night, its like a pickin, that goes into a hurtful numbing, and i have to stand up and move, then its as if blood starts to flow , hard to explain this, and then its quite painful when some feelings are comming back, this is every day. my hands constintly tingle, and hurt all day and night :( do you have this?
  11. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Dear Anna,

Glad to help. I haven't had the pain and numbness in my hands to the extreme that you are describing. Everyone is different though.

If I were you, I would get that checked out by a doctor. Not everything is due to fibromyalgia. You might have a different type of arthritis in your hands or something else not even arthritis related. If the pain is getting worse and so bad that it's waking you up at night, if it were me, I'd see a doctor.

Let me know how it goes. I hope it all works out.

Warm hugs, Erika
  12. rhopes

rhopes New Member

Hello everyone. I was diagnosed with FMS 2 yrs ago. I have put on 100 lbs. I was also diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes and Hypertension, Irritable Bowel and Bladder and a few other things along with Depression. I can't seen to lose the weight because of the pain I experience after trying to walk, let alone workout. My diet has changed but the weight still seems to be packing on. I call it a vicious cycle. My medications contribute to my weight gain as well. I just had my doctor switch my meds because they were causing me to gain and spiking my blood sugar as high as 450!
  13. annaleeb

annaleeb New Member

thanks for responding back :D I do have an app. with a new rhummy on friday the 13th , quite the date right lol......I was just put through tests for RA and Lupus, by my gp, they all came back neg. So I hope she can see what is going on,I could deal with all this much better if my hands were not so bad. I will let you know what happens on Friday, thanks for caring. :)
  14. momblue

momblue New Member

yes, I have gained 27 lbs in 10 months. UGH!!!!
  15. jaime13

jaime13 New Member

I have gained so much weight I don't know what to do with myself, I want to jain a gym but they are too expense. Any suggestion?
  16. Rnclegal

Rnclegal New Member

In the past two years I have gone from a size 12 to a size 18.......I have some beautiful work clothes that I never wore because I outgrew them and now Ive Had to retire.

Now, Im a person that hates to exercise at the best of time...but I knew that I had to get out and do something, so I got on the net and rescued a dog. He has been my companion as well as my nag to walk and to this day, despite severe pain walking ( feet like bowling balls) out we trot, singing a silly and getting a slight bit of exercise. If it wasnt for him I would never leave my house. Now he gets walked 4 times a day and Im getting myself out to church as much as I can.

Highly recommend that if you are alone and having to deal with this disease that a small, companion dog could be part and parcel of an easing of symptoms ie. the exercise, depressions, isolation, lonliness and protection.

Carolyn
  17. Rnclegal

Rnclegal New Member

In the past two years I have gone from a size 12 to a size 18.......I have some beautiful work clothes that I never wore because I outgrew them and now Ive Had to retire.

Now, Im a person that hates to exercise at the best of time...but I knew that I had to get out and do something, so I got on the net and rescued a dog. He has been my companion as well as my nag to walk and to this day, despite severe pain walking ( feet like bowling balls) out we trot, singing a silly and getting a slight bit of exercise. If it wasnt for him I would never leave my house. Now he gets walked 4 times a day and Im getting myself out to church as much as I can.

Highly recommend that if you are alone and having to deal with this disease that a small, companion dog could be part and parcel of an easing of symptoms ie. the exercise, depressions, isolation, lonliness and protection.

Carolyn
  18. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Anna, I'm really glad you are following up with a rheumy. I hope that goes well. Hopefully Friday the 13th will be a lucky day for you!

Jaime, I don't work out at a gym either. There's several options to a gym. I do very modified aerobics in my house, take walks outside, or when I feel horrible but need to move a little, I just walk around the inside of my house. I also have a foam stairstep where you step up and down. Another thing you could try is a tai chi DVD. It's a VERY gentle form of exercise. Many elderly folks do it.

As I've mentioned in previous posts, the key is to start very slowly, to stretch your muscles before and after and to start with only a few minutes at a time if you haven't exercised in a long time. Gradually build up. It seems like it's nothing and won't amount to anything, but the key is patient persistence. ANYTHING helps!

If you have a bad day or a bad week, that's ok! Just start again, even for a few minutes. You will gradually build up again. You might hurt some, but you're hurting anyway by doing nothing. Do the epsom salt baths, take a pain med before you work out. Don't give up. The exercise will likely relieve your pain about ten minutes after you start.

Good luck! Erika
  19. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Carolyn,

A companion dog is such a COOL idea! Do you know where we can get more info and how a person qualifies?

Thank, Erika
  20. annaleeb

annaleeb New Member

Thank you Erika, I will keep in touch. :)