Fibromyalgia: Any connection with Guillain-Barre Syndrome?

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by ckingburns, May 19, 2010.

1. ckingburns

ckingburns New Member

Has anyone out there either done research re: the above question, or have any of my FM fellows also had Guillain-Barre? I have felt for many years and increasingly believe they are connected. GBS is a central nervous system disorder otherwise known as ascending paralysis. I was fortunate to apparently recover completely; but I'm not so sure that I did. Any comments? Over the years I have passed this theory on to various docs and am not getting such definite "no"s as I used to.
    Cking
    [This Message was Edited on 05/19/2010]
  2. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

I don't have Fibro, but I get online newsletters from Medline and other places. I seem to recall reading something about looking into GB & FM or starting research on their connection. Sorry, but I just can't remember and I delete after I read them and some things I think might be useful to others I post on the boards I am on--but I'm not on the Fibro board. So you may be onto something. Maybe if you post on the Fibro Board here, someone may have some further info. Good luck and hugs.
  3. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

GBS is generally thought to have an autoimmune component. Some types of fibro (secondary fibro) arise in the course of autoimmune diseases.

GABA agonists like Neurontin are sometimes used in the treatment of GBS.

GABA agonists like Lyrica are sometimes used to treat FM. Sometimes it is helpful, sometimes not.

So, it would appear that the symptoms of these 2 diseases are both responsive to GABA agonists, in some cases.

But many painful syndromes are responsive to GABA agonists. So I'm not sure how much of a link one can infer from this info.

Sorry I can't be definitive here.

Best wishes.
    [This Message was Edited on 05/20/2010]
  4. I got hit with GBS in 06, somehow managed to stay out of the hospital and off a vent, but it was pretty intense. I am left with residual effects. The neuro says nerves have regenerated but those are much less efficient and cause pain and weakness and miscommunications. After more or less recovering from GBS, I was diagnosed with Fibro. Apparently a severe case from what I have read. Since nerves, body and mind were traumatized by GBS, and fibro can occur because of trauma or illness it only makes sense the two are connected. Even my doctor said this is true. Pain on top of pain and being med sensitive really really sucks. No relief from pain or even from the depression.