Fibromyalgia BAD Menstrual Periods…

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by FibroPainSufferer, Apr 24, 2007.

1. FibroPainSufferer

FibroPainSufferer New Member

I did a search on this topic before posting but I still needed to vent!!!

It’s only been 6 months since I was diagnosed with Fibro but in the last 2 months, just days before I get my period, I feel absolutely horrible!!! I use to get PMS before but now it’s 10 times worse. I read that in other threads on this topic that people mentioned feeling this way about a week before their period or during ovulation but mine is 1-2 days before the big day! Two months ago I had to call out of work 1 day & last month it was 2 days. I get severe cramps, exhaustion, back pain, headaches, diarrhea, nauseous, depression...you name it, I get it! But worse of all, I feel like I could scream at someone for just saying “Hello” to me. Last month I called out of work the additional day because I knew that I wouldn’t be able to deal with the pressure & the people at work. I was afraid of going in there & telling everyone what I really thought of them. I hate this because I don't like to be a nasty person!!!

I don’t know what to do about work. If I keep calling out like this, I'm afraid my boss is going to say something to me yet I CAN’T work or for that matter, be around people when I feel like this. I almost feel like that girl in the Exorcist :)

Sorry for venting but the cramps, lower back pain & depression started a few hours ago & it’s only getting worse!

I hope you all are doing well today!!!
  2. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

I just finished posting on the "hormones FM/CFS thread....

I also am being driven to desperation w the same problems, but for a longer timeframe than you're experiencing.

Check out the other thread....Hermit
  3. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

I have had Bad PMS for years (as you describe). I just accepted it as my plight. Then my period started getting spotty and strange. THEN I bled for 6+ weeks and that was when I went to the GYN.

Sure enough, I have PCOS - polycystic ovarian syndrome. I only have one cyst right now (3 1/2 cm) but my hormones and other symptoms diagnosed it. In fact, I was at the dr yesterday and she thinks I also have a fibroid - UGH!

I am now on birth control and we are monitoring my cyst. The BC has helped with the periods.

Anyway, my point is, don't just accept this as FMS. It could be another problem. I don't know if you have any dysautonomia issues but my neuro thinks that the dysautonomia causes everything to go haywire - including menstruation.

Blessings,

Sofi
  4. momof471

momof471 New Member

I never really had bad periods before fibro, I would have lots of pain in my legs because I have those huge ropy varicose veins and they throb. Since fibro I get so moody, terrible breast pain, increased all over pain, especially headaches, usually starting at ovulation and gradually increasing until my period starts. Its horrible about two weeks out of the month I can count on having a rough time. I don't know how I would handle this if I was working.

God Bless
  5. Taterdawg

Taterdawg New Member

Well, I have the exact same problem and should be starting in the next few days....yay. My husband has learned basically not to talk to me or pretty much touch me while I'm PMSing.

I get the worst back and gut pain. Then that turns into vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, more vomiting...I love being a woman lol. It gets pretty bad every few months and it turns into screaming, kicking, crying and wanting to be knocked out. It's the worst sharp pains like someone is stabbing me repeatedly.

Maybe this one won't be that bad. I hope.

Keeping you all in my prayers.

Chris
  6. nerdieduckie

nerdieduckie New Member

I started out with PCOS before any of the fibro business came along, so I knew what a bad period was...or so I thought.

I have such horrible leg pain that I can barely walk. My back always hurts horribly too. And then there are the cramps...

my, my.

I used to take my birth control continuously so I wouldn't have to deal with it, but when I got on metformin the birth control didn't stop it from happening anymore because the metformin was trying to put me back on a normal schedule.

The depression/PMS has gotten to be awful. I don't know if it's because I'm in a lower emotional state or what, but jeez! I have already broken up with my boyfriend once because of it, lol. I thought I needed to. A couple weeks later I was like WHAT?!

One funny thing I've noticed though. I hardly eat any chocolate at all anymore (used to be a major chocoholic) EXCEPT for when I'm on my period. Then no chocolate is safe. I find it pretty amusing because once it's all over, no more chocolate.
  7. dani78xo

dani78xo New Member

I had to stop birth control pills because of migraines I started having after getting diagnosed with FM, and the bc was the only thing that kept me from being in excruciating pain during my periods.

I can't say the PMS itself is worse, but the cramps are hell.

Now it's worse than it's EVER EVER been. It gets to the point where I'm trying to keep myself from throwing up, can't walk, get dizzy, exhausted, etc, and it feels like someone's sticking a KNIFE in my ovaries!

I guess it's true when they say FM sufferers feel more pain than normal people--it's ridiculous how much periods hurt now. I myself had to go home from school for a few days because it hurt so bad, and I couldn't get rid of the nausea.

The only advice I can give is just the usual--keep heat on it constantly, (I slept with a heating pad) and take lots of advil, naproxen, or motrin.

I definitely know where you're coming from, though. FM + periods= the worst seven days ever.
  8. FibroPainSufferer

FibroPainSufferer New Member

and I am SO SORRY to hear that so many of you have to go through this also! I get so moody also that I complain about everything & get down right nasty! Like I mentioned, I try to be a nice person but I can’t control my mouth during this time! It’s horrible!!!

I decided today that I should talk to my boss, who thankfully is a female, but when I tried to explain how painful my periods have become & that I’ve been dealing with diarrhea, nausea, fatigue, moodiness, etc...she just said “Well, thanks for the heads up” I told her that it took everything I had to get up this morning & come in. I thought she would be more sympathetic but she seemed more annoyed with me because I might be missing a day or 2 from work every month. I told her that it would only hurt me if I called out sick because then I would have to use my vacation time or not get paid for the day. We only get 6 sick days a year & they have to be accrued.

Anyway, I’m only feeling worse by the hour & my back hurts from my neck to my lower back. For my Fibro., one of the things my doctor gave me is 800mg of Ibuprofen to take every 8 hours. Today, I’m taking them like every 4-5 hours, it’s hard to feel like this & then have to go to work & sit in a chair all day long. Ugh!!!

Thank you for mentioning the possibility of it being something else. I don’t have any spotting & it’s only 1-2 days before I get my period, the day of & 1 day after. For the rest of the time I can tolerate it but I will call my Gyno if it gets worse.

Well, I’m in serious need of a heating pad and my couch! Thank you all for your kind & concerning words!!!

I hope you are all feeling well today!!!

[This Message was Edited on 04/25/2007]
  9. Didoe

Didoe New Member

I'm copying what I posted on the chronic UTI thread. Since my first period at 12, its been a life of extreme, long and difficult periods. Having babies only brought on a permanent post partum depression in addition to hemmoragging. I never had a 5 day period in my life. Even uterine ablation didnt stop the heavy flow. I was never told my hormones were out of balance, but this was clearly not 'normal'

I lived with what was diagnosed as repeated UTIs for years.
    Family doc had the nerve to ask me if I knew how to clean myself after using the bathroom.
    A internal vaginal scan showed cysts on one ovary.

For years complaining about monthly hemmoraging during menses, 4 orange sized fibroids, finally emergency room visit required hysterectomy for an overgrown fibroid that was so painful I couldnt touch my abdomen.
    But all the UTIs stopped.
    If you're still intact, get pissed and demand someone examine you carefully and thoroughly before the above scenario or some version of it happens.