Fibromyalgia & Breast Cancer

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by InTheTLCPink, Apr 13, 2011.

1. InTheTLCPink

InTheTLCPink New Member

I recently had a occurrence of Fibromyalgia (1st time I ever came down with it was back in 1993 - and it was more CFS) that cost me my job of 3 1/2 year in 2009. In April of 2010 I discovered a lump in my breast. Due to it changing size, I thought it was a cyst (and there WAS a cyst there), but I had my baseline Mammogram (Aug 2010) since I was 39/40 years old. In August of 2010, I needed a biopsy and it turned out to be Invasive Ductal Carcinoma. I needed chemo and it turned out I needed a mastectomy. Since completing chemo and surgery, some of my Fibromyalgia symptoms have come back. The breast cancer I had was also 50% Estrogen Positive.

Has anyone had both CFS/Fibromyalgia AND breast cancer?

2. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Hi Diane - I am sorry to hear about your cancer. I think that breast cancer is probably a woman's worst nightmare.

There have been other members here who have had both CFS and/or FM and received a breast cancer diagnoses. Unfortunately, just because we have CFS/FM doesn't exclude us from getting other illnesses down the road, including breast cancer.

Did you have a remission of your FM symptoms, or are they just more bothersome now?
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

For all you've been through and are still dealing with. I'm just curious whether you had a high risk factor due to other women in your family having had breast cancer. I've been on estrogen more than 20 years and this is a concern to me; however, my statistical risk is low but is sky high for heart attacks. Without my HRT, I have heart palpitations. It's a "damned if you do and damned if you don't" kind of dilemma.

you are in my prayers.

Love, Mikie
  4. dleh

dleh New Member

I to had breast cancer (Invasive Ductal Carcinoma) 6 years ago at the age of 44, and so far so good. My doctor was aggressive in my treatments (chemo & rad). I did very well during all my treatments until 4 months later when the bottom fell out. My body went wacko. I started having so many problems I didn't know what was happening, pain everywhere, neuropthy in my hands and feet. It all came down to fibromyalgia. I use to be so active and now I'm unable to do most of what I once did. I feel robbed and cheated of my former life. It is difficult to explain to anyone what it can and does to you. Unlike you I didn't get FM until after my cancer treatments. Unfortunately your treatments may manifest your symptoms.

5. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Well, I'm one of the unlucky ones that was just diagnosed with Breast Cancer. I am having surgery on Tuesday.

I too found a lump early Sept. I went in for mammogram/ultrasound - they also found several microcalcifications. The lump biopsy turned out to be benign and I really thought I was in the clear. They tried to do a stereotactic biopsy on the microcalcifications, but couldn't reach them all so I needed to have surgery.

I got the results - "the news" on Oct. 11th. I was SO sure that everything was okay that I went to the appointment alone.

I have NO cancer of any kind in my family anywhere - either side.
    I have remained very positive and know that once I have my double mastectomy my chances of recurrence are less than 1%. With that being said, this weekend, I fell apart. I have been anxious, crying at the drop of a hat, little things bothering me. I guess that's normal. Who knows what normal is.

Both my surgeon and reconstructive surgeon are very mindful of my Fibro which I so appreciate! They don't want to make it worse. Of course, they really have no control over that. The stress over this whole thing has made my legs ache horribly, but it hasn't been my main focus. They have promised to help control my pain which has been a concern.

I'm going to live and that's what counts. I have to say that those who have said that having Fibro is like having cancer, or that wish they'd had cancer so they could have treatment, would probably change their mind once they got the diagnosis. (I am paraphrasing some old comments)
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I am so sorry. I wish I could do more than pray for the best outcomes.

Please let us know how things turn out.

Love, Mikie
  7. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Thank you both gb and Mikie for your prayers! I am two weeks out from my mastectomy. I have done better than I expected. The first week I really thought I was breezing through it - the 2nd week, ahhh much worse.

I had to have part of my muscle removed and a "sling" of collagen put in it's place. I think that is what is causing the additional pain.
    My Fibro hasn't been that bad until the past few days. I'm sure it's because I'm not sleeping very well.

I really appreciate your thoughts! I will pray for your son gb and hope that everything turns out okay. Please let us know. (there may be a post that I already missed) I will go back and look.

8. MsE

MsE New Member

I have CFS and last spring had a mastectomy for breast cancer. Mine was the unusual kind--not related to estrogen. Since the mastectomy, CFS has been a monster. You have my complete sympathy!