"Fibromyalgia Can No Longer Be Called The 'Invisible' Syndrome."

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ChuckNBerkeley, Nov 4, 2008.

1. ChuckNBerkeley

ChuckNBerkeley New Member

Using single photon emission computed tomography, researchers in France were able to detect functional abnormalities in certain regions in the brains of patients diagnosed with fibromyalgia

"Fibromyalgia may be related to a global dysfunction of cerebral pain-processing," Guedj added. "This study demonstrates that these patients exhibit modifications of brain perfusion not found in healthy subjects and reinforces the idea that fibromyalgia is a 'real disease/disorder.'"

Society of Nuclear Medicine (2008, November 4). Fibromyalgia Can No Longer Be Called The 'Invisible' Syndrome. ScienceDaily. Retrieved November 4, 2008, from http://www.sciencedaily.comĀ­ /releases/2008/11/081103084040.htm
  2. 3gs

3gs New Member

dare we hope?
  3. harboreen

harboreen Member

Fibromyalgia Can No Longer Be Called the "Invisible" Syndrome

Isn't this EXCITING NEWS!!!
    It is to me!
    FINALLY - finally -I feel that people will take this illness serious AND what's even more important to me is hoping this new information/study will lead to help for all of us who suffer with disabling symptoms, hope that perhaps one day I WILL get my life back....oh what a happy feeling this is - just think - to wake up each morning feeling normal. ah!
    To be able to do things without the pain, or aching to the bone- or fatigue! oh~ how truly awesome this would be!
    I musn't get carried away- right- but I have a new found hope ~ more than ever before, maybe- just maybe someone will figure this out.
  4. Leaknits

Leaknits New Member

Brainscans of people with ME/CFS also show the differences in brainscans of healthy people as compared to those of us who have the d'd (d/d: ME/CFS shorthand. Means uhhh "darned" disease).

Please don't take my statement and believe it out of trust only.

Go to a library and see if you can get a copy of Dorothy Wall's "Encounters With The Invisible," subtitled "Unseen Illness, Controversy, and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.
    As you may have surmised from the title of her book it was written before the Change The Name To What's It's Called in Europe groundswell: ME. Myalgic Encephalomyelitis.

Author Ms Wall is "one of us" and I'm amazed she was able to write her very impressive book, when a large number of us have trouble writing a grocery list.

5. PRC

PRC New Member

I have know for a long time that many people have this disease because, my mom had it, I have it, my daughter has it, my brother has it , his wife has it, and her mother has it. In fact the dr. that my siter in-law goes to says that even being around a person with it can cause another person to get it. My brother didn't even know he had it until his lat visit with his neuologist. The neurologist said your fibro is flared up when they had mentioned he had been in additional pain. They were shocked because no dr had ever said that he had it.
    I hope alot more people recognize this disease then it wouldn't be so hard for people like us to get help.
  6. ChuckNBerkeley

ChuckNBerkeley New Member

The article refered to FM. I have no reason to believe FM and CFS are the same disease. CFS will turn out to be several/many "diseases".

Brain abnormalities were detected in CIDFSers, perhaps Incline Villagers, perhaps scanned in Reno. Long since forgotten the details. Believe I read it in a book. But could have been on the USENET CIDFS News group in '95 or there abouts.
  7. willruthie1965

willruthie1965 New Member

I always knew it started in the brain. Ruthie