Fibromyalgia for Dummies

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by AnnG, Dec 11, 2002.

1. AnnG

AnnG New Member

I was surprised to find one of those familiar yellow books entitled "Fibromyalgia for Dummies"! I had to laugh. I'm sure some of you have already seen this. Does anyone have it? It looked easy to read but I didn't have the money to buy it right now. I may ask for it for Christmas.
  2. AnnG

AnnG New Member

I was surprised to find one of those familiar yellow books entitled "Fibromyalgia for Dummies"! I had to laugh. I'm sure some of you have already seen this. Does anyone have it? It looked easy to read but I didn't have the money to buy it right now. I may ask for it for Christmas.
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I saw it, no I did not buy it! I find that whole range of books 'for dummies' insulting to the general public.

I know people who buy that series on different subjects, come home and put a 'bookcover' on the darn things.

Why don't they just use a title like; 'Fibro made Simple' etc.

Oh well, just my opinion.

Shalom! Shirl

4. Sky

Sky New Member

I was at Border's the other weekend looking at the latest Fibro books and was totally shocked to see the Fibro For Dummies there on the shelf! I didn't even pick it up.

I agree with Shirl, I find those books insulting. Maybe not for all subjects, but Fibromyalgia? C'mon! No one can even tell us how we got this or what the cure is, but they can come out with a Fibro For Dummies book? Like it's so easy and simple.

Sorry, that one just threw me for a loop. And sorry Anng, I think there are much better books out there on Fibro that you could ask Santa for.

Hugs,
    Sky
  5. 2girls

2girls New Member

I bought and read it. Don't waste your money! There is so much more information on this board than there is in this book. Having read the book, I now feel insulted and ripped off for buying it.

2girls
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Good to see you posting again. How goes the Guai treatment for you? I've missed you.

Love, Mikie
  7. Shirl

Shirl New Member

What a great reply! Good for you, well put.

Shalom, Shirl
  8. bubblegum

bubblegum New Member

Yep I have seen it. In fact my boyfriend bought it at borders so that maybe he could get a better understanding of what I am going through. It showed me that he really does care, he just needs to understand this disease better. Ciao
    Sandy
  9. marcus1243

marcus1243 New Member

Might be a good starter pack for relatives etc, but it pretty much ignored the neuro side of the illness (which is very significant for many of us), and concentrated on the pain/fatigue side. You'll learn more from this site and the web in general.
    Just my opinion.
    --marcus
  10. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

and personally I liked it. As the title implies, it is written in an easy to understand way. Some books and articles I have read are not written for the lay person to understand. I was surprised that some people wrote in that they didn't like it. I think there was a lot of good information in this book.

Ellen
  11. Kalli

Kalli New Member

That was a good, funny comment! I just knew they made those books for doctors and how about some of the public...such as Jaci's step mother in law that told her to get off her butt?
    She needs a copy of that!! Everyone that doesn't have this stuff needs it...After all,we are the experts.

Kalli... with 13 cats & 3 strays.
  12. Kalli

Kalli New Member

The 3 strays are cats. In fact all of the 13 I have are strays but I took them in, got their shots, had them altered and feed 'em. 3 are indoor and the rest outdoor ones.
    That's a lot to feed but hey, I need something to do since I can't do anything else. 2 stray dogs and a dozen or more deer to feed too. We live in town but still the deer get hungry and love us here in town.

I am definitely going to get that 'dummies' book and send it to one doctor in paticular. The one who told me FMS didn't mean anything and it was ONLY a syndrome. I refused to see him anymore so now I am banned from both clinics he works at. Seems he is "Big Chief" over those and the hospital. Jerk! What do you call those people in Africa who shink heads? lol..he needs to visit them.

I think I'll wrap the book in Christmas paper. Merry Christmas doc! hehe I wish I could see his face when he opens it. That would be priceless!

Kalli