Fibromyalgia + IBS = Colonoscopy

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Grandma6, Oct 3, 2005.

1. Grandma6

Grandma6 New Member

I was sent to a surgical doctor by my family doctor because of a major change in my bowels that is different from the normal IBS problems. I am scheduled for a Colonoscopy but something the doctor said to me has caused me to once more be depressed about my Fibro. I have had Fibro for over 20 yrs and all the doctors I have seen have stated that they have never seen it as severe as mine. I have had IBS due to the Fibro for many years also and the doctor told me today that she is not surprised by me having this new problem because with my Fibro & IBS my colon has weakened and does not have the strenght to help me to have normal bowel movements. If this is what they find out from the colonoscopy then they will have to remove part of my colon.

Has anyone had this happen to them?

My depression is because I am upset by my Fibro causing yet another problem in my life.

Any support from someone that has gone through this or knows fo someonge who has had this problem.

Thank You So Much
  2. Grandma6

Grandma6 New Member

I'm not sure what Threelac is but I have been on stool softners for years and when they stopped working my doctor has me on Metamucil but things have gone from bad to worse.

This is why I was sent to this surgeon and now I just have to wait and see what they find.

I don't like to admit it but I am a little scared and depressed. The depression is because I feel like the FMS has found another way to take over yet another part of me.
  3. ephemera

ephemera New Member

I just saw my GI doc last week. This was my first visit in about 1.5 years. I had surgery 2 years ago after an anal fissure caused by 2 impacted colon experiences in the hospital's ER that were anything but caring. I've recently had some odd problems & tons of pain during bowel movements, even while taking Zelnorm. I've had 2 colonoscopies in the past 3 years since the first ER experience.

Anyhow, the doc said sometimes the sphicter (sp?) muscle becomes too loose or too tight & it might need to be tweeked. Meanwhile, she did an exam & suggested I try another round of sitz baths & analpram cream, just in case it was a hemmorhoid that she couldn't locate in the quick office manipulation.

she also said she frequently sees FM patients having very similar problems which she felt was because of the cluster of nerves in that area of the body.

Of course, we always want a second opinion when it comes to surgery recommendations. i would go to someone who is not in the same practice area. And don't you just hate it when yet another problem is blamed on fibro. Like, maybe it could also be caused by our medications or our diets.

I don't even believe a so-called lazy colon is immediately treated by surgery. And remember years ago when 2 brothers who were surgeons on the West Coast were telling women patients they need to have colon surgies. They were really wacko doctors just in it for the money.

I hope you find help soon! best thoughts
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I've taken probiotics for years to prevent Leaky Gut Syndrome. They helped the IBS, but it wasn't until I took Doxycycline long term that my IBS cleared up. This leads me to believe that some IBS, like some ulcers, is caused by bacteria.

I would definitely get another decision before undergoing colon surgery, which is a serious operation. If the colonoscopy turns up polyps, they can be removed when the colonoscopy is done.

I have a family history of colon cancer and three years ago, they removed five polyps, several of them precancerous. My colonoscopy this year showed no sign of polyps.

I think it is important for us to get colonoscopies and other preventive tests and not assume our problems are all caused by FMS.

Good luck to you whatever you decide to do. My prayers are with you. Please, keep us updated.

Love, Mikie
  5. Gentle_Blonde

Gentle_Blonde New Member

Morning Grandma6,
    Yes, I can understand. What I was told was that the muscle between my stomach and my small intestine no longer works well. I can eat, the bile comes up from small intestine to breakdown the food, but it won't go back down like it should. I was first put on Raglen which I had very adverse reactions from. Then they put me on Zelnorm 3 times a day and that does seem to help. Painful, yes. I too was told that it was due to Fibro or nerve meds that I took to kill the nerve endings. It does seem now that because of this I have more problems with the meds I take and adverse reactions. It can be very depressing. I hope maybe I have helped you some...

Gentle_Blonde
  6. Grandma6

Grandma6 New Member

I want to thank all of you for the insight. I am one f those people that gets so tired of going to doctors that my husband has to really push me to get all my "preventive" test and I should have gotten a colon screening when i turned 50 and didn't. I had a breast biospy when I was 23 and I have been faithful in getting my mammograms and my pap smears but the colon thing was new and even though my family doctor is the greatest and we have gone to him for 30 years and my daughter babyset for his family when she was a teenager and i trust him with my life; the whole colon thing seems so private. I know that is silly thinking but i don't think i am alone in feeling that way.
    Anyway, now that I know i have a problem I'm just going to have to head forward and get things done. My loving husband is not the kind that worries but I worry about every little thing. He keeps telling me until i have the colonoscopy there is no need to speculate on anything else because we don't even know what is going on in there until then. So I just have to wait and that is not something i do well.
    I did learn something new while researching this. There is a new pill that they are using in some places but not entirely now that you swallow and as it goes through the body it sends data to a computer that records everything. I read about it when researching colonoscopy in WebMd. Wouldn't that be great! No more invasive propeing. Just thought I'd tell you about it.

Thanks for all the advise and the support. My colonoscopy is scheduled for Oct 20th and i'll keep you posted. But I can assure you if they start talking surgery, I will get a 2nd opinon.

Keep me in Your prayers and now that I have found this "new Family" I'll add you all to my prayers