Fibromyalgia in Feet? Help!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cozykitten, Sep 7, 2005.

1. cozykitten

cozykitten New Member

Hi Everyone,
    I have Lupus, Hypothyroid, and Rhuematoid. Now I am wondering...can you have Fibro in your feet and lower legs? The pain that I have been dealing with is different than the Lupus joint pain that I have with flairs. My feet hurt all over! Ankles, instep, balls of feet, heels, and even calves of my legs at times. It kinda feels like electrical currents going through my feet, or creepy-crawly pain feeling.
    I also have these little pains in my feet and lower legs that feel like little needles at different places. NOt like it is asleep, but little painful needles. At night, sometimes I cant stand my feet to touch anything because it makes them so uncomfortable. I scoot to the edge of the bed and let my feet hang off.
    My Mother has had neuropathy in her legs and feet for about 25 years and the pain has been terrible. But she has Alzheimers now, so I cant get her to describe what it felt like in the beginning.
    Does this sound like Fibro at all? Advil does not work with they really hurt. My doc has been treating me with new Arthritis meds and extra Lupus meds, but that does not help. This pain just feels different. I'm sorry this is so long. Please reply.
  2. Jodi_B

Jodi_B New Member

Yes, my lower legs tingle and my feet hurt!

I used to be barefoot all the time at home, but no more!I'm constantly in search of a good pair of support shoes to enable me to tolerate standing longer due to: pain in the ball of the foot and my heels. (And, like the above, I have hip pain).

I also have night-time "hot foot" problems. Seems the more fatiguing the day has been, I have what I jokingly call a flare of my "Tomato Toes"! Toes and bottoms of my feet are red, hot and very uncomfortable -- so much so I've been tempted to plunge them into a bucket of icy water.

Strange thing this FMS, huh?

Jodi
  3. cozykitten

cozykitten New Member

When my feet are hurting so badly, the only thing that relieves it is a Vicodin. I've tried Aleve, Advill, Tylenol, 3 even 4 at a time. No relief. I had Vicodin left over from shoulder surgeries and that does it for me. I hate to take them, but when you need relief, you need relief. I have not asked my doc for anymore....scared to. Afraid that he will think I'm trying to be a druggy....ha. Does anyone else take pain meds like this?
  4. Pheline

Pheline New Member

I have pain in my feet- when I get up in the morning I limp across the room to the bathroom, but it gets better fairly quickly.

I used to never go barefoot until I discovered Nia (www.nia-nia.com)- now I dance barefoot up to 5 times/week and I can actually go barefoot! amazing!

then I tore my Achilles Tendon and am starting over- well, sort of.

in the meantime, I bought a pair of Masai Barefoot Technology sandals. They were the only thing I could walk in for a couple months before my tendon was repaired, and the first shoes I was back to wearing. actually, I wore them with my "cast" (boot) because the soles almost matched up and I didn't get hip pain from lopsided feet. I bought them locally at Foot Solutions- but if you google for them you should find the site with a store locator. they're prevalent in the UK- less so in the US, I think. There is definitely an adjustment period to them- you're supposed to build up over days or weeks- but I really wanted to walk so I skipped that part.
  5. fmnsc

fmnsc New Member

You have described my last few months exactly. My feet and legs have been causing more pain than other parts of my body lately.
    At night, it gets worse, and I can't stand for covers to touch me. You are not alone
  6. cozykitten

cozykitten New Member

Does this sound like Fibro feet? snicker... I go back to my doc tomorrow and will discuss that none of the treatments he prescribed for me have worked. My feet hurt now and I feel like I have little ants crawling on them....and they are swelling up like sausages. Boy, I dream of the days that I had slender tanned legs. Now they are white, have veins, and look like Hail Damage!!
  7. laura81655

laura81655 New Member

Your symptoms sound very similar to mine. I can't walk barefoot, walk or stand for very long. The only shoes that I can wear are Nike walking tennis shoes.

Sometimes I get this feeling of fullness, like they will explode, I know that sounds wierd. I finally broke down today and took a vicodin. It helps somewhat, but, this is the worst fibro symptom.

Some people have found Neurontin to help with Neuropathy foot pain. Have you tried that?

I know how difficult this can be.....
  8. UPK5

UPK5 New Member

Hi Cozykitten,

OUCH! My feet, ankles, calves, knees, insteps, and legs HURT a lot!

The other day, I actually posted about walking inside my sil's house on a smooth surface, regular floor. I didn't slip, didn't fall, wasn't climbing up or down steps, but I stepped on my left leg and felt a rip inside my calf. For the rest of the afternoon, evening and into the next morning, I could NOT step down on my foot. It was agony.

I also have bunions on my flat feet, they hurt a lot. I can wear New Balance wide or extra wide sneakers. I have a narrow heel, so I can't wear pumps. If I can find a sandle to fit my foot, it needs to have an ankle strap. My choices of finding shoes are getting fewer and slimmer.

I have lots of trouble standing on my legs too long. If I stand or walk for any length of time, my knees buckle up.

I have had severe pain in the instep of both feet. I was actually thinner then (so I can't blame it on being too fat) and the pain was so intense, I could NOT walk at all. I was moving the day the pain was at its peak, and I left to get a corisone shot so I could finish the move. It was a terrible experience.

So I can totally relate to fibro foot fatigue and fed-up frustration!

Hoping you feel better.

Cindy
  9. badangel3

badangel3 New Member

before it was upper body, hips, thighs & legs. Now it also includes my feet and I'm miserable. I even have swelling in my feet now. When I get up in the mornings after my shower, I have to use a muscle cream to get relief just so I can put my shoes on.

Walking my dog used to be a pleasure..my quiet time. Now I'm limping and praying to make it back inside. I've even changed work & walking shoes with no relief.

Using the creams seems to be the only help as my meds don't touch it. Jackie
  10. cozykitten

cozykitten New Member

You guys are describing ME! I hobble on hard floors like an old man (or woman). I wear Joseph Seibel sandles every day because they are so soft, and the soles are like thick cushions. that's all I have found so far that I can tolerate. And pretty shoes for church or dress-up....HUH! Forget it!
    I took a Vicodin 2 hours ago, still hurt too bad to go to bed, so I just took another one. I feel like needles are being poked up & down my shins, and my feet...ohhh. My Mother has been on neurontin for years, along with pain patch and Vicodin. They called hers Neuropathy.... is that the same thing? Now she is on Methodone. I'm going to find something to rub on my feet tomorrow. It helps when I can get my hubby to rub them... it relieves that cramping feeling for a while.
    Well, I certainly have things to talk to my doc about tomorrow. I thank you guys so much. At least someone understands completely when I gripe about my achey feet.
    Kay >^..^<
  11. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

but had little response so I'm relieved (sorry) that it's happening to others, if you know what I mean.

It was a bit frightening that no-one else had it. I've had CFS/Fibro for many years and this foot problem started very suddenly a few months ago. Doc says nothing wrong with feet. I know there is.

I have the same symptoms as you do and I wish it would go as quickly as it came. I'm at a loss as to why, when I've suffered years of all over pain, that my feet have decided to join in.

I use a ibuprofen gel on them at night and that gives me a little relief for awhile.

Rosie

12. oshinangel

oshinangel New Member

Is this what they call "Restless Leg Syndrome"? I have the same problem, esp at night, last night to be exact! It is horrible.
  13. Rose_Red

Rose_Red New Member

I'm not a doc so I can't diagnose but my grandmother had PVD - I'm pretty sure its Peripheral(?) Vasular Disease. That's when you have leaky blood vessels in your feet.

Her feet hurt, her legs were swollen like water balloons, they turned white and veiny, they were worse at the end of the day because of gravity, they were so bad we used to have to tuck her in with the blankets around her feet or she would cry with pain that they hurt.

PVD is a pulmanary/vascular problem. It's usually accompanied by poor circulation. It happens to A LOT of older people just from their bodies getting old (and our bodies are way older than our years).

Please, at least mention this possiblity to your doc.

I hope you find some relief,
    michele
  14. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

well I'm going to check this out, thanks for the info but my legs dont swell like that - could be just the beginning though.

Oshinangel,

I dont think this is the same as restless leg syndrome, thats where your legs move around involuntarily at night, I get that too but this is feet, soles of feet.

Thanks
    Rosie
    [This Message was Edited on 09/08/2005]
  15. I swear there isn't one part of my body that hasn't been affected by this dd. My dr. said that it can affect any part with a muscle and joints. My toes and under hurt.
  16. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

Mortons Foot, and also Plantars Fasciitis, I have those, and they are co-exisiting conditions, but folks with CMPD have more pain due to the Trigger Points.

The FMS, Increase's the pain, we feel, so if my Dh has a pain in the same area, that I do, he won't suffer as much as I will.

Ialso have RSD, and buckling ankles, so my feet hurt all the time.
    Can't even walk without my Inserts for my shoes.
    With the RSD, I can't even have sheets touch my feet.
    I position a chair at the end of the bed, to drape the sheet over so, my feel will be covered, but nothing touching them.

PRincess and the Pea, is what my bed looks like, 2 feathermattres, all kinds of different pillows and a new one on it's way. Suppose to help support the spine better, for thoes who spend a lot of time in bed.

Sorry your having all this pain too, hope your Meds, will help you.
    sharonk
  17. cozykitten

cozykitten New Member

He said it is most likely Fibro in my feet. My Mother has had this same terrible pain in hers for 25 years. Hers was diagnosed as Neuritis, inflamation of the nerves. Isnt that about the same thing? Anyway, Doc has prescribed a topical lotion that has to be mixed by the pharmacy. It is supposed to help numb the nerves when I rub it on my feet. Do any of you use something the is a RX like that? Is that a narcotic? My Mom's lotion is.
    Kay >^..^<
  18. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I'd be interested to know what is in the topical lotion you get from the pharmacist.

I've read that fibro is a muscle disorder and neuritis a nerve disorder like you said but wouldnt be surprised if they didnt cross over like Fibro and CFS and others.

Your poor Mum, I'd hate to think this wont go away but it's been continual for the past few months so it's possible. I was used to having the top of my head and bottom of my feet free from pain, ah well.

Can you let me know about your lotion please. I hope it helps you.

Rosie
  19. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

cozykitten:
    I have the same problem in my feet but my rheumatolgist said he believed it was from Arthritis, not Fibro.
    I tested for Lupus and RA, but still have Osteo-A.
    Sorry you ar going through so much. RA & Lupus were neg.
    Hugs,
    NyroFan
  20. blkkat

blkkat New Member

hi! im new here so hope i dont step on any ones feet (no punn) yes my legs and feet hurt so bad it feels like im walking on ice barefoot with pins/needles/with a kind of buzzing feelig, also numbness with pain and a achey feeling that gets so bad at night i cant stand it! what helps me from going to crazy is neurontin. and pain meds 3xday i hurt real bad. fyi neuontin isnt cheap, hope that helps, your not alone, i think a lot of us have this. this site sure helps, thanks for being here everyone!!!! LOL ( blkkat)