fibromyalgia in hands

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by shaw43, Oct 8, 2012.

1. shaw43

shaw43 New Member

Hello Im new to this site. So excuse me if i ask a dumb question. I have severe pain in my hands. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia in April. I was wondering if anybody else has this pain also.
  2. gb66

gb66 Active Member

I have fibro all over my body. It hurts especially bad in my back, neck, shoulders, arms, and legs.

I also have arthritis in my hands and spine, as well as my knees. I can tell the difference in the fibro pain and arthritis pain becuase the arthritis pain will let up when I change positions or rest the area that hurts.

The fibro pain does not let up. I can hurt as much lying down, sitting, standing. Moving will usually make it worse though. Rolling over in bed or getting up from a chair is very hard sometimes.

Arthritis is painful but fibro is torture sometimes. With the arthritis in my knees, I could exercise in the pool or walk a little and get relief, but with the fibro I can't do anything but wait it out. Sometimes pain meds work and sometimes not.

I think fibro has to do with nerve and brain function. It's hard to control that kind of pain. I would have my hands x-rayed to see if there is any arthritis. It showed up in the joints of my fingers and wrists.
    GB66
  3. IanH

IanH Active Member

shaw43. Hi, what do you mean by fibromyalgia in the hands?
    FM is body wide, however wrist, hand and finger pain is a very common part of the body to have the pain in FM. It is usually worst on wakening or even wakes you up during the night. The hands are often hot (sometimes called Raynauds syndrome). However similar bilateral pain (equally on both hands) can be the result of compression (stenosis) in the neck. This is usually accompanied with bilateral elbow pain.

Fibromyalgia often produces pain in the radial muscles of the forearm too. Simple pressure along the muscle edge above the bone about 3 to 4 inches below the elbow (towards the hand) can tell you if it is FM. You can also try a transverse pressure across each wrist to see if the pain increases or decreases. If the pain in the hand is accompanied by numbness in the fingers then it is either the neck or carpal tunnel compression.

If you have pain only in the hands it is NOT FM.
  4. shaw43

shaw43 New Member

Thanks guys for all the love. Yes i have pain all over my body. I thought it was rheumatoid arthritis because my grandmother had it in her knees & hands. I've been tested for that from my rheumatoligist & she said i didn't have it. I sat down & told her all of my symptoms & she was like you have fibromyalgia. I also get sciatic nerve pain a lot. Omg that is so painful. But recently i received severe pain in my hands. I drop almost everything. I've been a dental assistant for 16 yrs now. It's starting to affect my daily tasks at work so painful.
  5. DESTINYMAYA

DESTINYMAYA New Member

HI, ANY QUESTIONS OR CONCERNS YOU MAY HAVE ABOUT YOUR ILLNESS IS NOT DUMB.

I WAS DIAGNOSED WITH FM IN 2010. I TOO HAVE STARTED HAVING PAIN IN MY HANDS, FINGERS. I HAVE TOTAL BODY PAIN SO IT DOESN'T SUPPRISE ME THAT THE PAIN IS AFFECTING MY HANDS ALSO.

HANG IN THERE
  6. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

I've had it for about 20 years. First started with extreme fatigue and didn't know why. About 5 years after that I seemed to have been slammed with unrelenting flu like aches and pains. At that time I had never heard of FM and had to do a lot of internet search. Probably about 4 or 5 years after the onset of aches, I found it was hard for me to stumble out of bed in the mornings because of stiffness everywhere, including my hands. Brain fog was next.

I found prohealth message board and learned a TON of stuff, and still am. Most doctors are pathetically uninformed.....they're never taught about this in school. First thing I was told here was to be sure to get enough magnesium and.......sleep. I'm 67 and still have the same troubles though I take the magnesium and TRY to get enough proper sleep.

Everyone is different, and it comes on in varying degrees. I had someone in family ask me years ago WHY I couldn't do as much as a sister in law who also had it. Don't try to compare yourself to others. It all depends on your stress level, your over all health, and what you need to take to get by.

One day, someday doctors will know a heck more than what they do now....so there's always hope.
  7. IanH

IanH Active Member

Is your sciatica more down one leg or is it about equal down both legs?
    If it more or less equal that is probably mostly due to FM. If it is more down one side then you will have nerve compression at L4-L5-L6 in your spine.

If it is mostly one sided this makes me suspect that you do have a degree of spinal stenosis. If it is present in your neck and lower back then it can account for all of your pain down your arms and hands and the pain through knees and feet.

Have you had a spinal scan? This would show the degree of stenosis.
    Also do have PEM? (Post exertional malaise, if so to what degree?)
  8. shaw43

shaw43 New Member

Thanks for that info. i only have it on one leg which is my right one. No I've never had that test done before. Do you think i should mention it to my rheumy Dr.
  9. Spacey

Spacey Member

Fibro affects your whole body. You don't just get it in your hands. It also has many other symptoms.
  10. IanH

IanH Active Member

If it is stenosis or a disc then a scan would show it. It is not a typical FM pattern of pain though if you have a disc problem (most common cause of sciatica), then Fm might make your sciatic induced pain worse. Is the pain across the top of your foot too?
  11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Not to assume everything is FMS related. Sadly, it is often our docs who assume things. Any new symptom needs to be followed up on. I have FMS but it is OA which was the cause of the pain in my hands and wrists before the peptide injections. Good luck to you.

Love, Mikie
  12. shaw43

shaw43 New Member

I do have it all over. literally from my neck all the way down to my toes. i just recently got it in my hands. That's what i was asking. if anyone else had the pain in their hands
  13. IanH

IanH Active Member

Just about everybody who has been diagnosed with FM and many who are diagnosed with ME/CFS. It also confounds the investigation of carpal tunnel compression nerve conduction studies because a person with FM (and ME) actually has similar slow conduction results. This has lead to a few people with FM have a carpal tunnel release operation only to find the problem is worsened.
  14. flossyfudleFran

flossyfudleFran New Member

my hands were the first part of me that started to swell.my fingers would go into spasms,and i started having weakness .started dropping things.
    over this 13 yrs,i found i have osteo arthritis,that has now spread to most areas of me.it is horrible in my feet.how i manage to walk some days is a mystery.but i do.
  15. IanH

IanH Active Member

We are noticing over the years that many people with long term FM are developing osteo-arthritis more than would be expected from their history. I am suspecting that the inflammatory increase which produces the "stiffness" is leading to joint damage. Just means that constant light exercise of the spine, arms and legs is important to keep this down. Also important to maintain the anti-inflammatory supplement regime:

vitamin D3 5000IU-10,000IU per day
    EPA/DHA (5:1)
    magnesium 400 mg daily
    vitamin K2, 50 mcg daily
    vitamin B12 1mg twice daily
    D-Ribose 3gm three times daily

optional if you can take it, curcuminoids/turmeric