Fibromyalgia Medication Experiment

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by NyroFan, Nov 14, 2006.

1. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

On tv I saw an commercial for a Fibromyalgia Study 'in my area'. I have a bunch of cable stations, so I do not know what area they are talking about. This station, I believe, is in the Deleware Valley area.

Anyway, I called and they said I was not in their area of the study. They also told me I would have to stop all of my pain medications to be in this clinical trial of a new fibromyalgia drug.

I hope I can post this here, but I will try:

The phone number is 800-707-1943

nyrofan
  2. butterfly83

butterfly83 New Member

off all meds? no thank you. What if you got stuck with the placebo and had to just stick it out for months? Doesn't sound like fun.
  3. joyfully

joyfully New Member

Austin , Texas also is advertising on TV for an investigational fibromyalgia drug. The way that they made it sound, the drug was for the fibromyalgia---they didn't say anything about an antidepressant.

A doctor Walter M. Chase is supposed to be doing the clinical trials. I believe the ad stated that your visits and tests would be paid for by the study. (Don't quote me on this.)

I have the 800 number too, but I don't know if I'm allowed to put it here on the board. How do I contact the people in charge of this board to ask permission to put the phone number down?
  4. Toga

Toga Member

and I'm in the St. Louis, MO area. Milnacipran is a combination of anti-depressants. I was in a drug study for this a little over a year ago.

It does help. And I received a letter asking me back to take the full dosage (200 mg) until it is FDA approved. They said they were contacting people who had been in the study who the drug seemed to help.

But I was told that I would have to go without meds for two weeks after weaning off whatever I am on and then gradually build up to the 200 mg. Sounded like the holidays would be a bust.

I also am worse in the cold months. Feel kind of rotten right now. So I told them "no." My doctor told me to contact them again in the spring if I'm still interested to see if it is full.

But the coordinator said she expects it to fill up fast. Whatever, I feel I'm doing just as well on Cymbalta. But maybe I wasn't getting the full dose (200 mg.) when I was in the study.

Guess I'm just chicken but I can't bear the thought of feeling worse then I do now for six weeks or so.

But if you are willing, I would give it a try. I was treated very well and I do think it helped. But the weather was better when I started.

Toga