Fibromyalgia Medication

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kbilliot22, Nov 8, 2009.

1. kbilliot22

kbilliot22 New Member

My doctors have given up on me. I do not have health insurance so I have to go to charity clinics here. They DO NOT prescribe narcotics. I am so tired I feel like giving up.
    I am on lexapro for depression and I LOVE IT.
    I have tried lyrica and tried to commit suicide
    I cannot take cymbalta or savella b/c when they take me off my lexapro to try it I go crazy.
    When I took tramadol, I lived with headaches.

I go back to the dr tomm., Please let me know all the meds u take so I can talk to them about it. THank you so much.

****13 people have viewed my post and noone replied. yet someone posts about cannibus (sp) and get many replies. all i want is help, if i am not going to get it here, please tell me another place to go. TY*******[This Message was Edited on 11/08/2009]
  2. gapsych

gapsych New Member

So sorry you are feeling miserable.

Something that happened to me is I can not take the SSNI's such as Cynbalta, Lyrica. When I was on Wellbutrin I became manic and suicidal. THe only other time I felt like that was ten years prior and I did not realize I had also been on Wellbutrin at that time. These were the only times I have ever been suicidal.That may explain what happened to you but you probably should talk to your doctor about this.

I do well on Zoloft which is an SSRI like Lexapro and it has saved my life. My doctor also prescribed Lamictal which is for bipolar but also for helping your AD work better. I had problems with them wearing off after a while.

Tramadol works well on me.

I also take Provigil which is for tiredness. It does not make me hyper but gives me about six hours of feeling about 80% as far as energy levels. Caffeine will make me nervous but this does not.

I have heard good things about LDN for pain but I don't know a lot about it.Narcotics just do not help my pain.

For sleep and restless legs syndrome I take Trazadone and Clonazepam which helps calm your nervous system. The Lamectal also helps calm your nervous system which will reduce your pain.

Have you had a sleep study?

Don't take it personally about no one responding. Sometimes the board goes so fast you don't always see a post. Often people are too tired to post but just read. Activity usually picks up during the week.

This will give you post a bump so your thread will go to the top.

Hang in there, we have all been in your place. We all have been there and have the T Shirt. I don't have any advice other than this board can be a great resource.

Keep us posted on how your doctor appointment goes tomorrow.

Take care.

ETA Welcome to the board!![This Message was Edited on 11/08/2009]
  3. Sacajawea2

Sacajawea2 Member

Hi Kbilliot22-- welcome to the board.

I take Mobic 15 mg. It's an NSAID but helps me greatly.
    I also take skelaxin, a muscle relaxer, as needed. Neither of those are narcotics.

Some on here take Elavil, which helps with sleep issues and pain. It can be combined with some AD's so you could as about that.

Some take Neurontin. I couldn't tolerate that or Lyrica (same family) but totally different side effects.

I do have a narcotic for really awful days but the above meds help me.

You might have had headaches with the ultram because it can interfere with Lexipro.

I hope you can get some good results.

Come back and take a look at some of the other things people have had success with, such as Vitamin D (your doctor can test you for that) and some supplements.

Getting drowsy!

4. FibroFay

FibroFay New Member

Welcome to the board! Please do not be offended that it's taken people some time to answer. Most of us are good caring people, but we are struggling with the same issues as yourself. Please be patient and persistant. We do care.

I am not going to suggest medications (I have Fibro) because mine are not working at all right now and I wouldn't recommend them. I'll see my doctor this week and begin making changes.

I wanted to suggest something else that might be helpful. Do you live near the public library? There are good books available there about these illnesses and how they are treated. If you can read few a couple of these, you will probably find many treatments that you would like to try. Go ahead and try many different treatments, as long as your doctor agrees to them. There is alot of help available. Educating yourself is key to finding effective treatment.

I hope you find help soon. It's truly a journey and the above poster is right in saying we have all been where you are. Please post again soon and let us know how you are doing.

Best Wishes,

5. wendysj

wendysj New Member

Hi Kbilliot22:

Welcome to the boards! If you look around and use the search button, you'll find lots of information regarding medicines people here use.

I don't know what you have, CFS/FM?

Either way, I think a muscle relaxer will help you... That isn't a narcotic. It helps when the severe fatigue sets in and it also helps with sleep. It won't put you to sleep but it helps you cycle through the stages of sleep.

I also take Lexapro. Why would the doctors take you off Lexapro if it works for you?

When you see your doctor, talk with him about your options. If you're in pain, there are lots of options he can try that are not narcotics. Be specific with your doctor. Ex: my legs hurt when I stand.

I wish you all the best. Keep searching on these boards and you'll find a lot of information you're looking for...

6. DazedAndSpacey

DazedAndSpacey New Member

I've been trying to get off as many pain meds as I can and do OTC. They helped for a while, but now the severe pain is back. I found that the only thing the doc gave me that helped is Ultram. The downside to it is I can only take it during the day because it keeps me awake. No matter how tired I am!

Advil, Naproxen and aspirin have helped during the least painful days.

One other alternative that gave me LONG term relief is constant massages. I know they can be expensive, but if there's a massage school in your area you may want to check the pricing there.

Good luck!
  7. JewelRA

JewelRA New Member

The #1 med for me as far as helping with my fibro pain is Klonopin. I take 0.75mg at bedtime. But - not everyone responds the same to every drug. There is some risk of both addiction and increased depression with Klonopin. I suffer from depression as well and take Paxil CR for it. I have to be careful with my klonopin dose, as too much CAN worsen my depression. When I started it, I started at 0.25mg and worked up slowly.

I couldn't tolerate the SNRI's either. Although, like you, when they tried to take me off my Paxil to try them, I went bonkers. Wasn't worth it.

Hope you get some relief.
  8. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

It's great you have an anti-depressant that works for you. It took a long time for me to find one that was effective. In my case it's was Celexa that helped. Everyone's different in that regard.

I also use trazadone, as needed, for sleep. It's also an anti-d but it's prescribed primarily to help me sleep. As you probably know, sleep is key. If you're not getting good sleep, your fms symptoms will be worse.

I also take topomax. That was difficult to adjust to - the first time I gave up on it because the side effects were too harsh. But then - because it was beneficial - I decided to try it again at a lower dose - and it's been good. It's an anti seizure medication, usually given to people with epilepsy but sometimes given to people with FMS to reduce pain.

The best over-the-counter pain-killer I've found is Excedrin X-strength. Other things that help relieve pain are Glucosomine Sulphate (found in the vitamin section) and strange but true concentrated cherry juice.

I also take 1500 mg magnesium, 2000 iu of vitamin D, 500 mg vitamin B-complex, omega 3.6.9. 500 vitamin C, 500 mg. calcium and a multi vitamin each day. They really make a difference but it took a while for me to notice the change. Vitamins can be expensive but if you buy them in bulk, they're a bit more affordable.

I also take a lot of other medication to treat for other conditions: diabetes, cholesterol, thyroid, copd, menopause etc. It's important to make sure you have a thorough physical and that all your health issues are identified and dealt with, rather than assuming all symptoms relate to FMS.

God bless,
    Anne Theresa