Fibromyalgia Medications

Discussion in 'Pharmaceuticals for ME/CFS & Fibromyalgia' started by Alyssa-Admin, Feb 13, 2015.

Have you found western medications to help you with your FM/CFS/ME?

1. no improvement

2 vote(s)
  2. small improvement

0 vote(s)
  3. large improvement

2 vote(s)
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Alyssa-Admin

Alyssa-Admin Active Member

There are many different medications used to treat fibromyalgia symptoms, including pain medicines, sleeping pills, and antidepressants. Some fibromyalgia medicines help ease pain. Others boost mood and improve sleep.

For some, their medications help enormously, however, from a personal point of view (and that of many friends) after a while - their efficacy wears off...and then the meds continue to be increased til you are at your max dosage.

Here is a link discussing the different medications that are being used for fibromyalgia -from older tricyclic anti depressants to medications that have been approved by the FDA specifically for fibromyalgia.
  2. MoKrause

MoKrause Member

I have suffered with FMS/CFS for approximately 10 years. Before I was diagnosed my doctor put me on 13 different medications not realizing all of my health issues were part of the same overall cause. My sister has FMS/CFS, so I recognized the symptoms and thought it could be FMS/CFS. Then I went to a rheumatologist who confirmed my suspicions. In the past 10 years I have been on most medications used for the treatment of FMS/CFS . While many didn't work some did, but had side affects that were not within reason to continue to stay on the medication (like considerable weight gain, or migraine headaches, etc.). I was on a trans-dermal opioid pain patch (Butrans) for several years along with Lexapro for anti-anxiety/anti-depression, Protonix for GERD and Trazodone for my Alpha-Intrusion. I was doing well, I would say I was in 'Maintenance' with my symptoms, until my employer changed insurance companies when the Affordable Care Act became effective due to considerable increased premiums. My new insurance company would not renew my Butrans medication which resulted in my body going through detox for 3 days (it would have been longer if it were not for the patch lasting longer than the 7 days it is worn for). When the insurance company finally authorized a temporary distribution of Butrans the medication was no longer working for me. The insurance company wanted me to try Fentynl and slow releasing Tramadol even though I had been on Tramadol before with no success. I tried both of these and ended up back on the Butrans after 6 months, unfortunately, it no longer worked for me like it had before. I have been on a slew of medications none of them working long term (with the exception of the Butrans, which no longer works).

My sleeping medication stopped working for me so I went back to the sleep institute to get a new sleep study. The new insurance company would not authorize an in-clinic study even though I have previously had one and was diagnosed with FMS related Alpha-Intrusion, they would however, authorize an in-home sleep study that only detects movement and oxygen levels. The results of my in-home study showed I had 42 instances an hour where I was not getting enough oxygen. This equated to 336 instances in an 8 hour period my oxygen levels were below 70%. As a result I began using a CPAP machine. In the beginning I felt more rested using the CPAP. After two months of use, my oxygen levels have been restored and I am now back to feeling like I have not gotten any sleep although I am sleeping for 6-8 hours. I now have an in-clinic sleep study in a few weeks where I will be using my CPAP and they will look at my brain waves to determine if I have a secondary underlying condition resulting in loss of restful sleep. Unfortunately, I am sure this is causing my increased pain and my current medications of, Hydrocodone 10/Acetaminophen 325 and baclofen 10 mg 3 x a day, to no longer work. My meds now barely take the edge off but do not even last a full 4 hours.

Has anyone used dilaudid for FMS/CFS pain? Did it help? What are the long term effects?

Some of the things I have tried previously include: clonazepam, fentanyl, amitriptyline, nortirptyline, tramadol, trazadone, cymbalta, citalapram, flexeril, lyrica, neurontin (gabapentin), savella, Hydrocodone 5.0/Acetaminophen 325, Hydrocodone 7.5/Acetaminophen 325 and now I am on .

I am really at a loss and don't know what to do. I have decreased drive for everything in my life and want some semblance of quality back.
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
  3. Try a baclofen pump straight into your spine they can also add other medications too

[ advertisement ]