Fibromyalgia Mentioned On The Today Show

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mikie, Aug 10, 2005.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

There was a nutritionist on who was talking about eating to reduce inflammation. Fibro probably isn't in the arthritis family but it is often mentioned when arthritis is talked about. This is good because we are getting mentioned but it is misleading to label FMS as just an arthritic illness. We know that it also involves many systems in the body and is not a disease of the joints.

We have talked here about reducing inflammation in the body as being helpful. FMS is not supposed to be an inflammatory disease, but reducing inflammation does seem to help. Many with FMS also have OA which can cause joint pain. I think any inflammation in the body is bad. Pain of any sources is magnified for us so decreasing inflammation is probably a good idea.

Dr. Perricone says inflammation is the primary cause of premature aging. His new book and diet tout eating to reduce inflammation. The good news is that tasty fruit, veggies, fish, and nuts all help reduce inflammation. Antioxidants also seem to play a role in helping with this.

Love, Mikie
  2. achy

achy New Member

Seems we are hearing the name Fibro more and more lately....that's a good thing.

I totally changed my diet 2 years ago...got rid of processed foods and sugar. Now I try to eat as many raw foods as I can, lots of fruit in the house, grow my own veggies and steam them rather than boil the nutrients out.

I have seen an improvement in my health overall esp. swelling of my hands and feet. There is something to Dr. Perricone's theory.

warm fuzzies
    achy
  3. When I was originally diagnosed with fibro years ago, they thought inflammation was a cause of fibro. Actually I had a muscle biospy and it showed inflammation.
    Also my dr. said you can get pain in your joints from having an infection somewhere else in your body. Any talk of fibro I guess is always good, at least it is out more in the open.
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I was always stumped when anti-inflammatories helped FMS because inflammation isn't supposed to be the cause. I think new research is turning up inflammation as harmful for everything in the body.

I agree that pain in other areas can cause pain in the joints. Shoot, our pain can feel like a dull ache, sharp stabs, electrical shocks and it can move around the body from one area to another. When an area hurts, the whole area, including the joints, can hurt.

I do think it's important that when people in the news speak of FMS primarily, that the nervous system and immune system are mentioned as being involved. I think so many people just think we have pain like arthritis and it makes us tired. That's kind of like describing Florida when someone asks what the US is like.

This woman wasn't primarily speaking of FMS, so I was glad to just get the recognition and what she had to say about reducing inflammation is really important. I also eat fresh fruit, veggies, meat, poultry, fish, unflavored and unsweetened yogurt, cheese, and nuts. I eat few grains except a little whole grain cereal and I try to stay away from the junk. Every now and then, though, I fall off the wagon :) A little slipup doesn't seem to cause me to feel worse but I know it's hard on the body.

Love, Mikie
  5. beckster

beckster New Member

Long time no see!!!!!!!

Lots, if not most, of the "research" or articles about this complex of illnesses (cfids, fibro, lyme etc) is just plain wrong. Inflammation is definitely involved.

They have found now that creating inflammation is one of the ways the microbes keep themselves protected, so the body cannot "find" them. This is all understood now at the molecular level.

I have recently been diagnosed with mycoplasma, chlamydia (systemic kind), HHV6, and borreliosis. Started on the Marshall Protocol. I recommend this to anyone; you should look into it.

Several of the doctors and medical professionals who used to be on this board (and other boards)are now doing it for themselves and their patients. It is not simple and it takes a lot of reading and understanding; and it is not an easy protocol to do, but well worth it. It is one of the most cutting edge, if not the cutting edge, protocol out there.

I wont go into the scientific details here; people can google about it. There are lay explanations and biochemical explanations, so you can read at whatever level is best for you.

Best to everybody-----Beckster
  6. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I take it after dinner along with Cytotec for my stomach and I have been on this for years. The two meds together are called Arthrotec, but I have to get them separately.

Really has helped that burning I get around my neck and shoulders. Helps me so much I couldn't live without it.

Had a rough night last night and didn't sleep well at all. Sometimes this happens. :(

Hugs,
    Faye
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Beckster, it's good to hear you are doing so well on the MP. Please stop in and let us know how you are doing. We have some here who have benefitted from it too.

Love, Mikie