Fibromyalgia or myofascial pain syndrome?!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by newshamoo, Aug 5, 2005.

1. newshamoo

newshamoo New Member

I am totally confused at the mo!I have been doing so much research into fibro but I have now come across MPS and I am baffled as to which syndrome I have.Can anyone tell me what the actual difference is?!The symptoms for both seem very similar but the treatments for each is different so now I don't know what the blooming heck I should be doing to help myself....do I exercise...do I rest...do I change my diet...I really don't know anymore and it's starting to really get to me!Please can anyone help?!
  2. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

Frankly, most fibromyalgia patients have myofascial pain, triggers, tender spots, muscle stiffness and myalgia.

However, myofascial pain can occur in individuals who do not have fibromyalgia, such in injury, MS, Lupus, and other problems.

Myofascial can be treated with stretching, masage, trigger injections, heat, cold, rub ons meds, and all kinds of things.
  3. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

You would probably find the book " Fibromyalgia and Chronic Myofascial Pain" by Devin Starlanyl and Mary Ellen Copeland helpful.

You should not be exercising muscles that contain myofascial trigger points. Standard massage doesn't usually help myofascial pain much and can make it worse. You need to find someone with extensive training/experience in myofascial dysfunction to determine if that is actually your problem and, if so, to treat it.

I do not have FM, but have had myofascial trigger points. I found the Myofascail Release Therapy developed by John Barnes to be helpful. I suspect the education/experience level of your therapist may make more difference than the therapy used.
  4. twinkles49

twinkles49 New Member

I have fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain.

The fibro to me is an achy deep pain that I feel done in my bones with severe weakness. Like a super bad flue that won't go away. Tiring, unrelenting, aching pain, severe pain. Plus numerous other symptoms, tender spots, etc.

With the myofascial pain I have, to many to even count knots all over my body that when you put pressure on them the pain will radiate out to another part of my body.

Good example is when my hands or wrists hurt I can find a knot right below my elbow someplace and push on it and feel the pain going down to my wrist. If I push on it for say 10 seconds or so for a bit the pain will decrease in my wrist.

At times the pain from the knots is so bad that it feels like an ice pick is being shoved through my shoulder blade clear through my body to the front of my chest.

If I lay flat on my back my shoulder muscles will so into such a bad spasm that it feels like the muscle is clamping down on the bone as hard as it can and I can harly breath the pain is so bad.

They think it's because I have so many trigger points in my shoulders and back that when I put the pressure on them by laying flat that it sets them all off at once.

When the knots get to really bad in my shoulder blades they will start to cut off the feeling in my arms and hands.

With having the fibro and the myofascial pain my pain level is usually about a 6-7 most of the time. If I don't take the pain meds then it goes right over the top of the scale & I can't think or breath hardly.

The book by Devlin mentioned above is excellent for learning the differnce.

Hope this helps you a bit, Take care, Twinkles :)
  5. newshamoo

newshamoo New Member

Thank u all so much for all the info u gave me.I will read the book u suggested.I have a feeling that I may have a combo of both fibro and myo.Some days I feel like I have the flu and other days I get excruciating crushing pains in my rib cage and shoulders and feel like someone is squeezing my ribs and chest so hard I can't breathe.Doctors seem to be of little help!Thanks again for all your info.
    Much love Lisa xo