Fibromyalgia Pain Caused By Fog: Seeking Information (reprise)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Abednego, Aug 29, 2006.

1. Abednego

Abednego New Member

Here I go again:
    I am a 55-year old man in otherwise decent health with fibromyalgia and osteoarthritis; these conditions keep me in almost perpetual pain and serious sleeplessness (I have hereditary obstructive sleep apnea as well). My life has been quite messed up for years; I can't work outside the house but still have two kids at home. Some of my symptoms are pretty bizarre; I have had extreme trouble finding relevant information from ANY source (and I'm not a shabby researcher, by most reasonable standards).
    If anyone has any helpful information, be he or she a doctor, a priest, a bricklayer,a cod fisherman or a zombie, I'm all ears, or at least eyes since I don't know how to Instant Message. There are more details available in my last post on this subject, but why bother?

My first weird symptom: We live where there is a great deal of coastal fog (northern California) and frequently long periods of cold wind and sunshine before the fog gets here. The fog and associated wind (NOT other kinds of wind) cause me severe pain in my joints and skeletal muscles; even a stationary bank of fog many miles away can make me swell up all over and feel like I am wearing a jacket made of chicken wire which is getting tighter and tighter. Sometimes I have to change clothes for twenty minutes until I find something sufficiently stretchy and lightweight so that it doesn't hurt. Radical stretching and saunas provide relief for a little while only. The fog also causes all my fibromyalgia pain points to start firing away. Vicodin and Oxycontin and medical cannabis (legal) all can mitigate the symptoms somewhat, but the effects of the drugs last less than half as long as they are supposed to (unlike with ordinary osteoarthritis pain, such as I get from walking around in warm weather--in warm weather, I can frequently forget/sleep through my meds, which rarely happens in worse weather). My symptoms from the fog include a feeling like "restless legs syndrome" all over my whole body--at times it's so bad I'm almost in convulsions. Without the drugs, or if I'm overdue on a dose of the opiates when the fog comes "in", my symptoms include the sensations of fireaxes, icepicks, jackhammers, blunt screwdrivers and serrated steak knives being forcefully and liberally applied to my legs and feet; no way to spend one's time in bed. If anyone knows anything about fog and fibromyalgia, or has similar symptoms, I'd like to hear about it--every doctor I've seen has been baffled except for one, and he had little to say.

The other weird symptom--during cold or damp weather just a slight blow or bump to any bone or joint will result in a permanent and sizable lump or bone spur. It can form in as little as a week's time. During hot weather you could beat me up with billy clubs and axe handles and provided my bones didn't break, all I'd get would be bruises and probably angry too. I'd like to hear any relevant feedback on this as well.

I appreciate all helpful advice; my family needs to figure out whether or not we need to move out of the area, where I've lived for 45 years and where the rest of my family was born. I have to get well away from the fog to make much of a difference in my quality of life at present; it seems to make a huge difference. Strangely, I apparently do O.K. in dry extreme cold, such as I experience when we go up to the snow in the winter. I can't very well prognosticate on how I will do in another area long-term without some idea of whether or not this fog sensitivity can ever be turned around, and unless I can find some concrete information on the physiological dynamics, I see no way of doing this short of reliance on prophecy or creative diction. My thanks to all respondents, including those who answered my original post.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/29/2006]
  2. dialow

dialow New Member

Just to let you know, I experience almost identical symptoms, and some additional ones, and have been experiencing a great increase in pain over the last 3 years. I live in Texas, however, and it is rarely humid, always sunny, usually hot and never foggy! I am seriously beginning to believe that our symptoms worsen when we are in a static environment--I've noticed a lot of posters whose symptoms seem to ease a bit when they go on vacation, visit relatives, take a kid to college, or any RADICAL change of climate! When I visit my brother in Pacifica, after 2 days my symptoms virtually disappear--then I'm fairly well-off for the first few days back home. After a week or so, I'm back to square one.
    I'm sorry I have no definitive answersome days, the search for one is all that keeps me going!
    good luck!
    [This Message was Edited on 08/29/2006]
  3. Abednego

Abednego New Member

Interesting commentary on change, per se, helping; I often visit areas where I would think my arthritis and fibromyalgia would be worse and they are, instead, better. I often have wondered if forty-five years with indeterminate seasons (and regular cold and damp throughout the year) haven't scrambled my biological cycles--I spent my first ten years with four classic seasons. It's hard for me to imagine heat kicking off these symptoms, but apparently it's not that unusual! The place where I've felt the best is Las Vegas, which is sort of unfortunate because, the natural topography aside, Las Vegas freezes my blood.
  4. 143alan

143alan New Member

is my #1 enemy. I too have OA and FM. I grew up in eastern NC and moved to TN just 7 years ago. I would hurt really bad as a T-storm was approaching and especially when a Hurricane was coming.

When the pressure builds in the atmosphere it also builds in the fluids in our bodies (joints especially) Once the storm hits and the pressure drops I don't hurt as much but I usually feel exhausted.

Living in TN is not much better since the T-storms roll through here on their way to NC... I just get it earlier now..lol. Also here I'm in the "tornado belt" oh what fun and a new experience in pain (certainly meant sarcasticly). I read something about this on a site not long ago but can't remember where it is.

Good luck with it.
  5. Bambi

Bambi New Member

and my husband believe that I am in worse pain even if the storm is in the mountains 150 miles north of us.
    But I am indeed. It used to be that before a local storm I would have more (if possible) pain and other symptoms but once it started raining it would ease. That is no longer the case.

When we lived in Northern California my FM was still mild so I don't know what to say about the fog. I know my first shock when I moved there was the brown air that went clear to the ground. At that time the Phoenix area was still basically pollution free, no longer the case either. I did notice that my then occasional back aches were worse, on the worst of the pollution days.

I am experiencing an unusual and anything but "normal" degree of pain last night and today and cannot figure out why. We are not supposed to have a storm due for several days and there's nothing going on but the usual trails in the sky. My daughter and I are always worse on those days also..but not like I am today. If I didn't have pain management I'd no doubt be screaming from the roof top!
    So, just pacing and staying down as much as I can until this passes.

I hope you find your answer. Bambi
  6. Kazah

Kazah New Member

hi there

yep i know what you mean. usually just before it rains i feel heavy and swollen and my pain is worse. I live in England so as you can imagine it's not good!

I went to hawaii a few years ago and it was the best two weeks I've had in 15 years. Not completely pain free but I actually climbed a volcano!!! As soon as I got back wham, here we go again.

I really think the weather has a big effect.