Fibromyalgia Patients Where did you grow up?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Slayadragon, Oct 16, 2006.

1. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

This is for people who have fibromyalgia (substantial pain) symptoms only.

Did you grow up in the city, suburbs or country? Where have you lived since?

Have there been times in your lives when you've been exposed to a lot of pollution (from factories, automobiles, or other sources)? If so, when was that?

This is not going to be a random sample of the population, but it would be interesting to hear the answers.
    [This Message was Edited on 01/01/2007]
  2. julieisfree05

julieisfree05 New Member

I grew up in a small city about 60 from Los Angeles, and moved to the Mojave Desert (where I still live) when I was 17. There was very little pollution in either place, although there is a lot of dust from the "dry lakes" in the desert.

My FM/CFS started after I inhaled several ounces of fiberglass insulation in the Navy Research Lab where I worked. We don't know if it was the actual fiberglass, or something on it, but it was definitely what triggered my illnesses.

Hope this helps,

- julie (is free!)
  3. bkayisme

bkayisme New Member

you knowo i research stuff about toxins playing apart of fm nd parkinsons as well um i grew up on ft bliss texas (elpaso) that is and when i turne d 21 i joined the army went to south carolina and then germany in the country and got out came to north carolina in the country moved around a bit as well and yes ive been around pesticides the planes drop them over the fields around herebut not all my life but in el paso it is a border city next to juarez and there is um polution so yes i often wonder if its a trigger because my mom has fm as well and well she is 60 and her hads shake and jaw and legs my gramma before she past alzheimers and she had tremors head hands and legs. i know you didnt ask aobut tremors only fm but i thought about all this myself is what im gettin at. and there are things written about genetics and toxins. take care.
  4. maedaze

maedaze New Member

I grew up in a town population 80 000,in new zealand. no polution, no family members sick.

I was living in anaheim california from 1986 to 1990. first got sick there, went on to become diagnosed with cfs and then fibro joined in after.

Because we lived near orange groves (orange county was sprayed a few times while i lived there. Have tried to find out what we were sprayed with but the records are sealed till 2020. My husband died in a car accident 9yrs ago so i don't know whether he would have been sick too.

It might not have anything to do with my illness but i do wonder. my 19yr old son is already showing signs of fibro.
  5. 1faith

1faith New Member

The first 4 years in a pesticide ridden southeast AR area-in town. There were lots of mosquitoes there too-we used to run behind the truck that blew pesticide fog at night. That sounds so stupid to me now!
  6. elliespad

elliespad Member

I grew up just outside Albany, NY. Lived next door (literally 4 feet) to a Pest Control company. Please read my bio. Too tired to type whole story. But chemicals, and USUALLY PESTICIDES, are what I believe has all of us sick. We have had SIGNIFICANT exposure and the body is slowly and painfully dying from poisons exceeding its capacity to detoxify. That's my rant and I'm sticking to it.
  7. lv2sing

lv2sing New Member

When my mom was pregnant w/ me, they were paving roads w/ the dioxide/PCB stuff. She said she felt different w/ that pregnancy than her others (3more). She felt sick more, & also had a feeling something was "wrong", but couldn't explain what. I was born not breathing. It took them a few minutes. My mom has cancer now (bladder). She had a tumor taken out, & had bladder removal & resection 2 yrs ago. She did chemo, then chemo & radiation again,& had 3 months of being symptom free, now it is back again, & they are starting chemo for the 3rd time.
    I am officially the only one in the family w/ fibro. My mom has symptoms, but has never had it checked. I also had extensive endo in my early 20's-30's, w/ complete radical hsysterectomy at 30. Since then it has been constant health problems, from thyroid to Sjogrens, & OA, I.C., you name it. Anyone else from the St.Louis area, in their late 30's or early 40's? I just dread to see what I may end up w/ when I get in my 50's or 60's. Dioxin has been related to tons of environmental stuff. I am positive that this disease is caused from things in our environment that trigger something in certain people.
  8. Woo

Woo New Member

I was born, raised and have lived all my life in a very small town in the mountains of Idaho. There are no factories, etc. I have never been exposed to any kind of pollution. However, I have been around a lot of hot asphalt, the kind roads are paved with. I have 2 aunts that have fibro, one is a year older than I am and the other aunt is 4 years younger than I am. They live where I do. We used to go with my grandpa and ride on the asphalt paver when the interstate was being built. We were there summer after summer for years. Then when I got older I was the first woman asphalt paver operator in this area. There are a lot of chemicals in asphalt. I worked with asphalt for 16 years and my aunts didn't and my pain is way more severe than theirs. Maybe it is coincidense but I have wondered about it a lot.

I think the answers to your post will be very interesting.

9. fishbowl

fishbowl New Member

l grew up on a truck farm (Vegs, etc)we sold in central WI, Was true organic (No polution). Did not have FM until after l got severe sleep apnea several years ago, l'm on a Bi-Pap machine, high pressures. l'm 82 yrs old now. Have been living in western NJ since l was 17, polution not a problem here. My Respis DR told me FM is a frequent happening in patients that have sleep apnea. She was the one that made the final determination diagosis after Rhumatologist said no & sent me to a Phycologist. My GP DR & my pain mgm DR all agree it's what l have & l get good health care & support from them.
  10. enjoysue

enjoysue New Member

I was raised in a small town of about 700 and I recall them spraying something for mosquitos frequently and they also sprayed the lake for vegetation. We ran in the 'fog' frequently until on my own I realized it wasn't a good idea but of course everyone said it was fine to do so and we did alot of swimming in that lake.
    In my first job that lasted 10 years we used trichloroethylene to clean our sewing machines and hands when we worked on the line plus I inhaled it once when I had to label everyones chemical containers. This was back in the 'olden' days when there wasn't much info on chemicals. My second job of nearly 10 years was in a photo processing plant and I have no idea what kid of chemicals were there. I didn't work with chemicals but I suppose it was in there air.Probably the most damage was done in my own first home!! It was 150 yr old house that we lovingly remodeled but we lived in drywall dust for 12 years and without my prior knowlege the ex picked up the the abestos laden floor covering and threw it away in the garbage! He'd also burn green treated lumber when I wasn't looking. He kept the woodburner going at all times to heat the whole house and it would be 85 in the family room we were in. I didn't want to use it because that burner had a huge crack in it on the top. One winter there was something wrong with the furnace and the air was yellow yet he didn't do anything about it nor allow me to call to get it fixed. I forget what was found wrong with the furnace. I had small kids. When I think how stupid I was I could kick myself!! We also tore down walls ourselves so there was always something floating in the air. Dust dust everywhere, never thought it would be going in my lungs. I think 911 made us all realize the dangers of what we breathe.
    I've always lived almost on top of busy roads. Who knows what's floating in the air there. Is it no wonder my ribs constantly burn something awful?
    Interesting thread. I doubt this started my fibro but I am sure it exasperated it and my health in general.
  11. angellwolffe

angellwolffe New Member

i grew up in a small illinois town. no pollution, the fields were sprayed every year but nothing major. My sibs say my complaints started when i was very young. Which brings to mind that when i was 4 I was in a severe car crash where my head was cracked open from corner to corner, which probly dammaged part of my brain which made the nuropathical symptoms appear

12. m0nalisa

m0nalisa New Member

Resided in a Steeltown in Canada. (One of the most polluted.)
  13. boltchik

boltchik New Member

I see julieisfree is also from that area. I grew up in the city of Palmdale, not too large. Although, it is quite a bit bigger than when I left there for college. Not much pollution, but dry, desert dust. Then I moved to San Diego, CA for 12 years and, of course, that is a major city with major pollution. My symptoms began in college when I was living in San Diego. Since then, I moved to a smaller suburb about an hour north of San Diego. The population is about 100,000 now, but half that when I moved here 8 yrs. ago. I'd say there is a great deal of auto pollution here. My illness has escalated in the last year. Interesting poll. Kim :)
  14. suz45

suz45 New Member

I spent the first 13 years of my life in upstate NY near syracuse, I was never sick... Happy, well adjusted kid with friends. We moved the summer fo my 14th b-day to the metro DC (suburban) area as my dad took a postion with the FDA. I remember the pollution being awful in that area. I had never heard of a smog alert day until then. Now referred to as an ozone action day.

I left at age 18 went to college and married lived in RI for at least 12 years, husband took a position in South Central PA which by the way us one of the 10 most air polluted areas in the country the sky is almost always a hazy orange even in the winter. That is when I was dx. with FMS/MPS.

I recently relocated to western NY outside of Rochester near one of the finger lakes. I have noticed the difference in the air quality, hardly ever stagnant. However, I think those years outside of DC and in PA affected my health as I had already experienced the head injury and later the back injury. I remember in my mid late teens often feeling ill, earaches, fatigue. Combination of many things.. System overload...

15. natesmommie1

natesmommie1 New Member

I grew up in Maine,moved to arkansas14mos ago,i have fms,cfsand other health promblems
  16. fieldmouse

fieldmouse New Member

I grew up in a small town of about 1200 people...No big cities near me. I moved to a high desesrt town of about 20000 when I was a teen. Moved back to where I grew up and now live in a town of about 1100. Never been around a big city or pollution. BTW...I live in Oregon and have all my life. Pretty clean here I think. The closest big city I have ever lived near Is Eugene and it is abou 100 miles away.....hugs...Mick!!
  17. bjt80

bjt80 New Member

I grew up in a small suburb surrounded by crop fields near Columbus, Indiana. I have lived either in similar suburbs or the country all my life. I worked in the Garden Shop of Ayr-Way/Target every spring and summer for 5 years in the late 70s and early 80s. So I guess I have always been around chemicals. Hmmmm...why didnt I think of this before?
  18. Lendy5

Lendy5 New Member

I grew up in a small country town in North Carolina with a population around 3,500.

I played outside everyday and could always hear that mosquito truck coming spraying the repellent as it went down our street. Come to think of it the town hasn't sprayed for this in years.....I wonder why they stopped?

Our town is filled with factories and a few years back our town had to drain our lake because a company had been spilling insecticides in our lake. This took years for them to clean up. Prior to this incident another insecticide company had spilled chemicals into the ground and we lived right below this company when this happened.

We were told not to drink the water for quite a while after this. Both of these companies have since been cleared and the company/buildings have been destroyed but they were fined millions of dollars by the town.

Interesting Post!

Love & Hugs!
  19. Mini4Me

Mini4Me New Member

Born in LA, Calif. amidst plenty of automobile pollution. Played with liquid metal mercury as a child (we all did), lots of pesticide exposure (crop fields nearby), played in mountains of manure with our bicycles as kids, chewed tar like gum (we peeled it off the sides of the newly tarred roads).

Am sure our schools were full of asbestos in the '50's!

Spent 10 years growing up in Orange, CA, amidst orange groves that were sprayed with god knows what, and surrounded by freeways spewing plenty of automobile emmissions.

Was a flight attendant for 8 years and was blasted by jet blast (burning fuel) outside near the runway several times. Exposed to 8 years of secondhand smoke as a flight attendant. Also, was told by a doc that each flight from LA to NYork exposed me to as much radation as getting a chest Xray!

Lived 4 years in Missoula MT, where I was exposed to paper mill toxins each night as the wind changed and blew all these toxins into town.

Lived 4 years in Wenatchee, Washington, the apple capital of the world, and was exposed to god knows what as small planes sprayed the apple fields surrounding our house. My daughter said some of the spray got on her and her classmates as the planes swooped down to spray the field next to the school! YIKES!

Have lived in the mountains of Idaho for 22 years and have been exposed to high levels of radon. No pollution here, and no pesticides that I'm aware of.

Have had fibro and cmp for 5-6 years or more.

20. mindbender

mindbender New Member

I was born in Athens, GA
    moved to KC, MO at 5
    Mom married a_s-h_l_, step dad at 8-9
    A hole was a capt in Army
    he took family to Germany for 3 yrs
    then to New Cumberland Pa Military Base (3 Mile Island)
    When 3 Mile Island had nuclear leak scare
    he hauled us off to his home, Fill in the blank OH
    Guilford Lake near Lisbon to be honest
    lived in fill in the blank Oh for 2 yrs or so
    A-hole was a Colonel now in the Army
    Flead from there to my real Dads place 1 yr
    To KC MO at 16yrs old, lived hear 1yr
    back to Dads Battle Creek MI 3yrs
    back to KC Mo later got Married lived there until 26yrs old
    moved to Houston Tx for 2yrs moved back in a hurry
    back to KC, MO 5 or so yrs
    lost good job, moved back to MI 2yrs
    Back to fill in the blank Oh to work for A hole
    Did not work out long, (He didn't like it when I was willing and very able to hit back)(I consider it a blessing though, that I did not get Ill while still woking for him) moved to different location in fill in the blank Oh and have been here since, 41yrs old now
    plan on moving back to loverly KC,MO when kids graduate.
    Hopefuly very soon.

sorry Lisa

[This Message was Edited on 10/17/2006]