Fibromyalgia Physical Exhaustion

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by NyroFan, Dec 7, 2006.

1. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Is it possible that fibromyalgia can cause much exhaustion just like CFS? I am thinking degrees of tiredness.

nyrofan

2. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Hi nyrofan,
    I don't know what the exhaustion is like with CFS,however with my Fibro I just can't get a good night's sleep,and this leaves me completely exhausted the next day.I feel really tired all the time but can't get a really deep sleep & so the vicious circle goes round & round.I mainly just take strong painkillers these days but they don't really help & make my fibro fog worse.
    I think this lack of sleep is what some experts refer to as fibro patients not reaching the Stage 4 deep sleep where the body restores itself from the previous days exertions.And so our problems go on & on.
    Paul.
  3. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

I was diagnosed a few years ago with FM and just this year with CFS.

The fatigue with CFS was different than what I experience with FM. With FM I am exhausted more from lack of sleep and fighting pain.

With the CFS it felt like such a total body exhaustion and I also had a lot of swollen glands. It seems to be a delayed reaction to overactivity.

My Dr didn't really tell me how he differentiated the two and I was too tired to ask.

Are you feeling something different these days?

4. kriket

kriket New Member

I would say yes it is possible. I have not been dx with CFS, but I do have fibro. There are times that I am really exhausted. I think from fighting the pain and from unrestorated sleep. I have often wondered if I have CFS.

Kriket
  5. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Hello all:

Thank you for your responses explaining the differences between the tiredness or similarities of fibro and CFS.

I have been getting much rest lately.

Christmas Eve I will probably get on the subway into midtown to see the large Christmas tree and those wonderful people singing familiar songs.

I hope all are well. Yesterday I could not get online. I really missed showing up here.

nyrofan
  6. meeee74

meeee74 New Member

I can be so exhausted (for days even) after a physically stressful event. I mean my whole body is fatigued. So weird. I have been dx with fibro, but could it be CFS??

Erica
  7. msmac

msmac New Member

My doctor considers my extreme fatigue to be fibro related. We have the pain under much better control, and now have been taking Ritalin 10 mg t.i.d. so I can continue to work/focus. This helps. Will have another sleep study tomorrow night, as last one done 9 years ago... will let you know if anything else shows up, as so far, NOTHING else. No anemia, no nothing... Just exhaustion.
  8. Cindyvr

Cindyvr New Member

I was dx'd with Fibro but I am like Erica..Totally exhausted after doing almost nothing at all and the days you have to force yourself to do something you are just so exhausted bed is the only thing I can do the day after.
    I had water therapy this morning at 9 am...I felt fine afterwards. I even stopped at afriends new house to visit. I was there about an hour. Came home washed some dishes, changed the laundry put clean clothes away, made DH lunch and I am just now feeling the tiredness and achy feeeling coming on.In fact I am ready for bed!It is 2 pm.
    Go figure!!
    CindyVR
  9. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Hello all:

It is so good to read posts by others with Fibromyalgia who find it difficult not to be exhausted.

Today is one of those days for me. I just can not seem to push myself to do anything.

I hope it passes. Right now I have the pain medicated, but I ache all over and am stiff all over.

thanks,

nyrofan

10. eaadams

eaadams New Member

I went to the Dr. last Friday. He put me on Lyrica and within the first 24 hours my pain level decreased, fog went away and I am sleeping soooo much better. Talk to your doc. Believe you me. I have tried everything. I tried what every nut put in the internet and every doctor prescribed. This honestly is great. NOT a cure, but definite relief.
  11. IowaMorningGlory

IowaMorningGlory New Member

I have only been diagnosed with FM. Is my tiredness a symptom of, is a question I have too been wondering.

I get so frustrated and mad at myself. Some nights I just can't get to sleep and others I may sleep great. For me it doesn't matter, I just seem to have days I can't keep my darn eyes open!!

I have stopped driving because of it. When I am this tired it is like my eyes cross or droop so much I can't see to drive right and it scares me.

I have told my husband the part at this point about my FM that is the most frustrating is the tiredness. I can't do a thing about it! My pain I take pain meds for, and even if it is a painful day (which many, many are) I can still work if I need to. Today if I HAD to do something I wouldn't have been able to. I hate that!

I was going to go get my new pair of glasses and put some money on our debit card for my husband. I couldn't drive today so he will have to go after he gets off work at 6 and take the money to put on the debit card. It makes me mad because he will have already worked a nine hour day, but he said he would do it, that it wasn't a problem. Maybe tomorrow he can drive me to go get my glasses before he goes to work.

If this isn't a part of FM then I really need to get checked for CFS. How would I do that?

Take care and Kitten Hugs,
    Blessed Be,
    Laurie
  12. I am exhausted also. The dr. told me that with fibro even if you get sleep, which I don't, that even with sleep a fibro person doesn't feel refreshed like we should.
  13. musikmaker

musikmaker New Member

The 2 diseases overlap so much how do we really know if we have one or both? Or.....are they really the same disease just manifesting differently? Maybe because of different triggers?

I do know I experience deep fatigue where I can barely think or move. Yet other times I experience an unrelenting need to sleep for long periods of time. These feel very different but still equate to exhaustion.

14. doglover5

doglover5 New Member

I know what you mean I take a shower then have to lay down and take a nap cause it wears me out so bad. I swear sometimes I'd rather just go out in the back yard and have my husband hose me down. It would take a lot less energy.
    Hugs
  15. carebelle

carebelle New Member

This is what I'm going threw right now.I cant sleep and feel so exhausted .I'm not sure if its depression or not.Feels mostly like I'm just exhausted.
  16. ladykew

ladykew New Member

Nyrofan,
    Unfortunately, we've had no $$ for enough research to find out. The doctors can tell over a long period of time with severe cases, but even then, when we get a surefast test, it might prove something entirely different. That is why doctors are so frustrated treating these diseases. We want answers and cures. They don't have any.

It's not so important to know which you have, or if you have both, until they find out the cause; rather, are your symptoms being treated? I, personally, do not want to be injected with virals meds to find out. Call me a coward... but I've had history of severe medical mistake, peritonitis, gangrene, septicimia twice, and septic shock which resulted in near death and resultant repair internal abdomanal surgery. I've also had radiation, double pneumonia, diverticulitis, stomach and duodeonal ulcers, severe tacycardia, GRAVES disease, heart valve problems, and now breathing problems, which require the use of CPAP.

I've been dx'd with FM for 20+ years; CFS for 10+ and even though some of the symptoms do overlap, there is a
    distinct difference in the two for me. I, personally, feel that the two are separate diseases. Or may turn out to be from the same illness, but subsets of that illness. Each person, it seems, has their own set of symptoms.

I have new symptoms popping up consistently.

Sorry for hogging the board. As you can tell, I am at the end of my rope! I am so so tired of battling this for the best years of my life.

Someone, please see this and send up a prayer for me. I need it.

~~Lew

17. sydneysider

sydneysider Member

I found some relief from using a drug called Creon Forte. As I live in Australia, and am on disability, I can get this Relatively cheaply.

This drug basicly works similarly to digestive enzymes available from health food stores.

People with FM are believed not to absorb nutrients from food properly, and these products help with this problem.

After finding relief from fatigue with this product, I would suggest that malabsorption may be a factor in the fatigue problem
  18. 1fighter

1fighter New Member

I also have had CFIDS and FM since the end of 1997. I agree it is a toss up whether the pain is worse or the exhaustion but I say the CFIDS is worse with the sheer inability to even lift your head sometimes, if you do something you are shot for anywhere from 1-3 days afterwards (after moving I was in bed 3 months straight!), not to mention the fevers, swollen glands, vomiting, chills etc. I used to work through pain but when you are out of breath from taking a shower and having to take a nap after that is the worst. WHAT I AM AMAZED AT IS HOW DO YOU NO LONGER HAVE ANY SYMPTOMS FROM EITHER??? How did you do it? I would LOVE to know how to recover and not be exhausted, be able to travel, spend more time with my grandkids. I am so excited and interested to know that there is remission! You are my HERO! What did you do to get better? I just joined these boards and don't even know what people are talking about (herx??? what?????) and to see you say you don't suffer from either anymore gives me hope! Do Tell!