Fibromyalgia research grant to Wayne State University

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by nanannan, Nov 5, 2010.

1. nanannan

nanannan New Member

Go to for information on a grant to Wayne State for a five year study of treatment for fibromyalgia.
  2. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Looks like a complete waste of $3,373,000.00. Why are they even bothering?
  3. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I agree what a waste of money. I was suppose to be in a study at IU in Indianapolis on exercise but my health prevented me from making it. It wasn't GET but more along the lines of how to exercise according to your limitations. I want to exercise as I think it will help. I have started downloading things on my phone for walking. Sometimes I feel better, other times I don't but I worry about deconditioning. ( BTW, I don't think PEM is due to deconditioning though it may play a small part like any illness where you can't be active.)

This makes me wonder about studies like this as the population has to be higher functioning.

I think there is an ongoing study at IU in Bloomington that I wrote about several months ago and of course I can't remember what it is about. I will look it up.

Maybe a sticky for studies might be nice?

Thanks for the information. It just might help certain subgroups.

4. roge

roge Member

what a waste of 3.3M, put the friggin $$ into trying to understand the actual pathology so fibro can be better treated. every physical disease has pyscholigical ramifications and sure it is good to have tools to better manage them, but 3.3M in a lot of $$ to determine what is best of the 3, educaton, CBT or confronting your emotions. why not just conclude they all are good for helping to manage the physical disease of FM and save $3.3M and give it to reserachers to look more into the neuro/immune/hormonal aspect of this disease

i believe we already know education and cbt do help better manage the consequences of Fibro (note this is no way implies fibro is psycholigically rooted as of course it isnt) but sounds to me this is some pet project by a pyschologist who now wants to see maybe if "confronting ones past emotions" (gimme a break) might be more effective than either education or cbt.

[This Message was Edited on 11/07/2010]
    [This Message was Edited on 11/07/2010]