Fibromyalgia/seizure disorders

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BeanyMalone, Feb 7, 2009.

1. BeanyMalone

BeanyMalone New Member

I was wondering if anyone knew if there was a correlation between fibro and having had or having epilepsy. I notice a lot of drugs are anti-seizure. I had epilepsy between the ages of 3 and 16. Also, I just started Lyrica yesterday and wonder if anyone has any feedback about this.And why are narcotic pain meds(such as Vicodin)considered bad for Fibro?
    [This Message was Edited on 02/07/2009]
  2. dani78xo

dani78xo New Member

I've had FM for about 3.5 years now, and a few months after I was diagnosed, I was also diagnosed as having abnormal brain waves. Technically, my EEG indicates that I have epilepsy, but I've never had a seizure. I'm on lamictal now for the abnormal brain waves, which caused some severe migraines that had me incapacitated for 6 months. It's worked suprisingly well.

And narcotics, as far as I know, aren't considered BAD for FM, per se, but they just don't seem to work. Something about the pain receptors not working well so they don't bind with the drugs or something.
  3. BeanyMalone

BeanyMalone New Member

I appreciate the feedback!
  4. scrappnmom

scrappnmom Member

I was dxd with FM 8 years ago and I also have Epilepsy. But, I have had seizures since I was 10 or 11 yrs old which was 40 yrs before FM came my way. So, I'm not really sure it is related for me.
  5. hopabout

hopabout New Member

Dear BeanyMalone:
    I am not a doctor or have any formal medical training but I can tell you this: Go into the chat rooms at night.... ask everyone what they have... listen to the lists.... ask if anyone has epilepsy.... you will hear, my uncle does, my sister does, my cousin does.... yes I do.... The problem is that we have all been given some real classy labels: Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue Immune Dysfunction Syndrome, Lupus, Rhumatoid Arthritis, Epilepsy, Dementia, Depression, Bipolar, Multiple Sclerosis, oh shoot, I know there are more.... Leukemia....

Now, just put all those folks in one room together. (I have done it many times) and listen to their symptoms and what else their family has.... never fails aways the same stuff.

We are in a big ball of wax. That ball starts at birth and probably comes from Mothers and their problems in the womb.... we get too much of this and too little of that while we are being prepared to be born.... each Circadian Rhythm brings out different things in each of us... some are lucky and only get one label.

Let me show you my immediate family: 7 cases Fibro, 3 Cfids, 1 Schizophrenia, 1 bipolar, 2 depression, 5 ADHD, 1 Alzheimers, 1 Dementia, 4 thyroid (tests don't work!) and one mentally retarded that has severe siezures almost hourly. Now, do you think there might be a connection?

Its all neurotransmitters getting the wrong signals from errors in Chromosomes .... and it depends on your Mom and Dad and what their parents had as to which errors you got... tonight I was in chat with one lady that has 7 labels, none of which are simple illnesses.... others come in with Fibro as their only diagnoses.

Its connected, if you got that error of Chromosome.
  6. loto

loto Member

I don't know anything about the seizures. I was unable to tolerate the side effects of Lyrica, but do well with Cymbalta. As far as Vicodin, let me tell you I've been on it for quite a while. It, combined with the Cymbalta, helps me get through each day. I think I've heard the only bad thing about Vicodin is that the body builds up a tolerance to it and eventually needs more and more of it to get some relief. This has happened to me. But, my doctor says it's the only narcotic pain med he will prescribe to me. I guess his opinion is more powerful ones may be bad for me, I'm not sure. Maybe other ones are more addictive. I really don't know, all I know is Vicodin helps me get out of bed and go to work each day.
  7. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

My 3 sisters and I have all been dx'd with Fibromyalgia. My one sister has "stress seizures". She is the oldest that use to take care of us smaller siblings and was always the "strong" one, doesn't let out the "bad" emotions (you never hear her curse), doesn't "talk things out" or tell too much about herself.

She was a military wife to a career man, so she had to always be organized, ready to move, planned meals for a month ahead for the family. Plus, always held a job outside the home to help out.

I believe that's one of the reasons she has these seizures. She keeps things bottled up where they tend to come out in a seizure. She has them where she goes into a trance.

She only got them later in life around the time she got a dx of FMS.

Now, when she should be enjoying life, she is sick and her husband is battling cancer.
  8. Starway

Starway New Member

That is the only drug I have had any side effects on. I was very suicidal, and very depressed
  9. gshib75

gshib75 New Member

I had one cousin that I know of that had epilepsy. He passed away while surfing, possibly due to his condition. My mom is a night owl and has a hard time falling asleep at night and does suffer from constant worry and anxiety. I had a sleep study done that showed that I had very little to no Stage 4 sleep. I did not show any signs of sleep apnea, but I did seem to have restless leg syndrome.

Recently while I was sleeping during a plane flight the person next to me said I was twitching a lot while I was sleeping, almost like I was having a seizure.

Do any of you believe in sleep seizures? Seizures that occur only while fast asleep?

I also suffer from a lot of anxiety and have a very poor quality of sleep cause I feel real tired even after sleeping 8 hours. I think fibro is hereditary for me because I've had this condition as long as I can remember being alive.
  10. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Yes, I have some kind of mild seizures in my sleep. They often wake me up and I can feel my teeth chattering and sometimes bite the inside of my mouth. It's a really weird feeling but it's never happened while I'm awake. I have wondered what causes this. It only started after I had CFS and FM for several years. GB66
  11. karynwolfe

karynwolfe New Member

Fibromyalgia pain is thought to result from overactive nerves that continuously send pain signals when they should NOT be.

Epilepsy works much the same way: Overactive nerves that are sending signals when they shouldn't be.

So the idea is to slow down the nerves, and help the seizures, and/or the fibromyalgia if you have that. Make sense?

As for Lyrica, save your side effects and your money and try Neurontin (Gabapentin) instead. Not only is it cheaper (because it has a generic; Lyrica doesn't and that's why the companies push it) but it's had more luck with helping FM pain than Lyrica ever did. Good luck!
    [Edit: Neurontin is almost the exact same thing as Lyrica, I should add; sorry forgot to mention!]

And as for narcotics helping FM pain, I've heard nothing. Just for most, they don't help the pain as well as other types of pain relievers do (and of course you'll need more and more and more as time goes on, and they're more addicting).
    [This Message was Edited on 03/11/2010]
  12. roge

roge Member

very well could be a link

i have abnormal brainwaves (slowing) in the day on EEG

i have what i feel like are sleep/wake seizures (myoclonus) when either falling asleep or just when waking up. i also get no slow wave sleep (stage 3 and 4) when i sleep. looks like i make up for it and get the slow waves in the day when awake - lucky me - no wonder i feel like my brain is in a fog and half asleep in th day.

my aunt has epilepsy and my grandpa had rheumatism.

[This Message was Edited on 03/12/2010]
  13. lynncats

lynncats New Member

Not real happy with some of the meds. But understtand you 100%, LOL. Good luck!
  14. daytrippersoul

daytrippersoul New Member

I'm sorry that I can't answer your question about the epilepsy,but I am sure if you Google it,or look in WebMD you may find some answers about that in those places. Good Luck with that! I'm sure you wil find what you're looking for since the WWW is a HUGE place and something about Fibro and Epilepsy will be on your screen if you look about enough!
    It's not so much that the narcotic pain relievers such as Vicodin is "bad" for's my feeling and most others who have Fibro/CFS would agree that those types of drugs only last 4-6 hours MAX and maybe even less for some people who have a high tolerance to narcotic meds. -- If you ever decide to use these aware that you too will (at first) feel great and get some it's a godsend..but after a while you'll want more..end up taking more everyday since your tolerance will build up as well. Also they are VERY addictive! Not becuz everyone is a drug addict but becuz it's the tolerance build up and you'll find yourself wanting and needing more and more as time goes on. Take it from someone who did the Vicodin/Percocet deal for my Fibro. Then again everyone is different but you hear the same story about the vikes and perks as I just told you about over and over again! It's better to be on an extended relief (ER) form of narcotic....something that will last 8 hours or more so you won't need to take umpteenine pills everyday! My methadone last anywhere from 12-24hrs. The pill form is stronger so I'll only prolly need only 2-3 pills a day maybe 4 when or if I get a "flare up". Check into the Methadone...but if you have epilepsy please speak to your doctor about narcotic pain meds or ANY meds for that matter! I hope I could help! If you need anything else..i'm here..we are ALL here for ya..since we are ALL here for the same damn thing....FIBROMYALGIA...what a pain in the boots it can be!! Keep me updated K?

daytrippersoul X.