fibromyalgia study ???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by trinity3, Sep 14, 2005.

1. trinity3

trinity3 New Member

my fiance heard an advertisement on the radio for a fibromyalgia study for a new medication. they say its fda approved but not on the market yet...

i would have to stop taking both my muscle relaxer (flexeril) and my pain meds (vicodin)!!! for at least 10 days before i start the study medication.. they will have me driving to their office once per week and to a rheumy for a one time only visit to confirm that i actually have fibro...

i have a brand new job and i dont know if i can handle being off all of my pain meds and muscle relaxers for that long without laying in a lump crying in the bed... also, i have taken supposed 'wonder drugs' before for the fibro.. cymbalta was one and neurontin the other...

i had terrible reactions to both of those medications... i ended up losing my last job because of all of the ups and downs with trying new meds and having trouble finding a doc to prescribe my pain meds here in missouri (i am new to the area)...and i missed alot of days...

i cannot afford to lose this new job now... nor do i want to really go on another one of these supposed 'wonder drugs' and not be able to take any pain meds!!

have any of you participated in a study like this?? do any of you have any more info??
  2. fivesue

fivesue New Member

it sounds like you really don't want to do this! You don't want the pain, you want your job, you react adversely to medications...I guess I don't know why you are considering doing it.

You may have to make a list of the pros and cons of this study...would you get more from it than it would cost you phsically, emotionally, financially? Maybe your priorities will come more in focus so you can make the decision that will work best for YOU!

Best wishes for a good decision!
    Sue
  3. tamigail36

tamigail36 New Member

I have goone through all of those rounds with new meds too! I don't know why you would want to put yourself through that if you have a doctor and the meds that are working for you. I went through a wierd period with meds myself that almost cost me a teaching job- which would have meant no more teaching jobs, so I know how important it is to be stable and how little bosses understand. Think hard and pray about it. Best wishes- Tammy