Fibromyalgia systemic inflammation and detox pathway dysfunctions

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by RadioFM, Aug 28, 2014.

1. RadioFM

RadioFM Active Member

My research indicates that Fibromyalgia and may be caused by chronic infections and reactive oxygen damage. I will be posting links identifying silent systemic inflammation and detox pathway dysfunctions as a possible contributing risk factors in developing FM.

FM cytokines connection?

Increased levels of IL-8, 17 and interferon gamma in Fibromyalgia? Interleukin 8 may be a factor in the epithelial tissues damage.

Please review these links below...

"This analyses showed that fibromyalgia patients have increased levels of IL-17A. They also reveal that plasma concentrations of IL17A correlate with levels of IL-2, IL-4 and IL-10, TNF and IFN╬│."

As far as we are aware, this is the first study to demonstrate increased levels of IL17A in fibromyalgia patients. The positive correlation between the levels of IL-17A and of other cytokines strengthens the hypothesis of the involvement of inflammatory mechanisms in the development of this syndrome.
    Pernambucomet al. Clin Ex Rheum. 2013 Nov-Dec;31 " Increased levels of IL-17A in patients with fibromyalgia.

"Evidence of central inflammation in fibromyalgia-increased cerebrospinal fluid interleukin-8 levels."

"Activation of glia cells resulting in intrathecal elevation of cytokines and chemokines has been hypothesized in chronic pain syndromes such as fibromyalgia. To our knowledge, this is the first study assessing intrathecal concentrations of pro-inflammatory substances in fibromyalgia. We report elevated cerebrospinal fluid and serum concentrations of interleukin-8, but not interleukin-1beta, in FM patients. This profile is in accordance with FM symptoms being mediated by sympathetic activity rather than dependent on prostaglandin associated mechanisms and supports the hypothesis of glia cell activation in response to pain mechanisms." See more here: Evidence of central inflammation in fibromyalgia-increased cerebrospinal fluid interleukin-8 levels.
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  2. RadioFM

RadioFM Active Member

Radio: Chronic infections and reactive oxygen damage may be risk factors in FM. Genetic mutation and bacterial (Lyme) can affect the converts NO to Peroxynitrite. Free radicals can cause neuronal cell death and mitochondria damage. Please review these links...

Terrible New Diseases

Superoxide Dismutase & Mitochondrial Theory of Aging

" The detoxigenomic test says "

- - SOD2 A16V
    "Health Implications: Superoxide dismutase (SOD) is the primary antioxidant enzyme within the mitochondria of cells (where most of our energy is made). SOD2 converts reactive oxygen species into less reactive hydrogen peroxide. The wild-type genotype (-/-) is associated with higher SOD2 activity and a greater sensitivity to antioxidant status compared to the other genotypes. The combination of higher SOD2 activity and low antioxidant intake and/or excessive oxidative stress (e.g., smoking) may result in an accumulation of hydrogen peroxide and increased risk of cancers of the breast or prostate. This genotype has also been associated with a higher risk of motor neurondisease. Risk of cancer may be reduced in individuals taking anti-oxidants." DetoxiGenomic® Profile

"SOD2 - MTHFRsupport says:
    People with this can have problems with even the tiniest amount of methyl folate, because methyl folate increases nitric oxide. The byproduct of nitric oxide is peroxynitrate. People with SOD2 can't handle the peroxy nitrate well and so will have an adverse reaction to methyl folate. Help me with my 23andme results

"SOD2 - Detoxigenomics says: SOD2 is present in the mitochondria. Changes in the SOD enzyme are associated with changes in risk for neurodegenerative disorders like ALS. Superoxide Dismutase is an enzyme that protects cells from increased oxidative stress and free radical damage to cell structures like membranes, mitochondria, DNA, and protein."Help me with my 23andme results

"Minimizing Risk: Because the (-/-) genotype is particularly sensitive to antioxidant status, liberal consumption of dietary antioxidants in colorful vegetables and fruits is recommended. Broad-spectrum anti-oxidant supplements may also be helpful, including agents that help to raise glutathione levels (e.g., vitamin C, N-acetylcysteine, milkthistle) and support glutathione peroxidase (selenium). Consult your health care provider to find the supplement regimen that best fits your overall health anti-oxidant needs." SOD | Phoenix Rising ME / CFS Forums

Radio: Mitochondrial and endothelial dysfunction? Oxygen starved tissues causing pain in fibromyalgia? Please review links below...

"Are Oxygen Starved Tissues Causing Pain and Fatigue in Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome?"
    Conclusions "A recent FM study indicated problems with oxygen delivery to the tissues may be present. Significant evidence suggests low oxygen states caused by low blood volume, overly constricted blood vessels and perhaps mitochondrial dysfunction could be causing pain and other problems in FM and ME/CFS. Oddly, reperfusing these areas with oxygen can increase inflammation and oxidative stress. Similar findings in the brains of ME/CFS patients suggests the low oxygen state may be body-wide. Most researchers point to a sympathetic nervous system which appears to be over activated during rest but then poops out during activity and mitochondrial issues may come into play as well." See more here: Oxygen Starved Tissues Causing Pain and Fatigue

Please review crelated Testing info...

• NeuroScience click on Immunology...look for "Inflammatory cytokine profile TEST" IL-1beta, IL-6, IL-8, IL-17, IFNgamma, and TNFalpha. C3a and C4a
  3. RadioFM

RadioFM Active Member

Radio: Fibromyalgia may be a subgroup of other autoimmune diseases?

My main focus in this thread was to identify silent inflammation and detox pathways dysfunction related to FM. My research indicates chronic infections and reactive oxygen damage may be risk factors in both FM. I want to add that genetic variations, methylation and dysbiosis are topic's that need to be addressed as well as evaluating Lyme disease and it's Co-infections being misdiagnosis as FM.

This information is not intended to be medical advice. The information is meant to inspire and motivate you to make your own decisions surrounding your health care and dietary needs. It is intended for educational and informational purposes only.