Fibromyalgia that was in remission re-agrivated by dental work

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by selmad, Nov 20, 2002.

1. selmad

selmad New Member

I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia 4 years ago and for the last year or 2 have been leading a completely "normal" life. Sleeping pretty well, very little to no muscle pain , very little anxiety and my ability to handle stress was good. I finally felt good enough to pay attention to the dental work I needed and had put off for so long. My dentist convinced me to get a crown on one of my teeth.... I want add that all my healing has been due to alot of hard work on my part-- exericise, diet changes, going completely chemical free etc and alternative therapies. I don't do drugs. I know I am sensitive as I believe most people with CFS and Fibro are. Anyway-- since I got my permanent crown 2 days ago---- which was porcelain on metal- I haven't been able to sleep, been twitching when I start to fall asleep, feel the anxiety I felt 4 years ago when I couldn't sleep at all........ I'm scared that I have really set of something in action....could be I should have never had the dental work done, or gone with an all porcelain instead of metal/porc. crown one.

I don't know...... has anyone experienced a major flare up from dental work? crowns etc? I had done research on a really good alternative dentist 4 years ago. who treats many chemically sensitive individuals out in California. Dr. Richard Hansen in Fullerton, CA. Unfortunately , I set the work aside and it didn't go bck to it feeling very confidient that I was strong and healthy now..... he actually claims he can restore cracks instead of grinding the tooth down to nothing and putting on a crown....they do biocompatiability testing et. having big regrets now on what I've done. I hope my body is just "adjusting" to the new materials and will settle down.. Please let me know if you've had any similiar experiences.
  2. selmad

selmad New Member

I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia 4 years ago and for the last year or 2 have been leading a completely "normal" life. Sleeping pretty well, very little to no muscle pain , very little anxiety and my ability to handle stress was good. I finally felt good enough to pay attention to the dental work I needed and had put off for so long. My dentist convinced me to get a crown on one of my teeth.... I want add that all my healing has been due to alot of hard work on my part-- exericise, diet changes, going completely chemical free etc and alternative therapies. I don't do drugs. I know I am sensitive as I believe most people with CFS and Fibro are. Anyway-- since I got my permanent crown 2 days ago---- which was porcelain on metal- I haven't been able to sleep, been twitching when I start to fall asleep, feel the anxiety I felt 4 years ago when I couldn't sleep at all........ I'm scared that I have really set of something in action....could be I should have never had the dental work done, or gone with an all porcelain instead of metal/porc. crown one.

I don't know...... has anyone experienced a major flare up from dental work? crowns etc? I had done research on a really good alternative dentist 4 years ago. who treats many chemically sensitive individuals out in California. Dr. Richard Hansen in Fullerton, CA. Unfortunately , I set the work aside and it didn't go bck to it feeling very confidient that I was strong and healthy now..... he actually claims he can restore cracks instead of grinding the tooth down to nothing and putting on a crown....they do biocompatiability testing et. having big regrets now on what I've done. I hope my body is just "adjusting" to the new materials and will settle down.. Please let me know if you've had any similiar experiences.
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi Selmad, so sorry you have had a relapse. I cannot help with the dental work, just stopped to welcome you. Other members here will be able to relate and help you.

I do know that I have had remissions from Fibro for at least the length of a year at a time, then would relapse for no apparent reason. This strange remission seems to happen to a lot of us.

Also many have had surgery, dental work, accidents, shocks, etc. and relapsed too.

Hope this is a little help, and others will be making some suggestions also.

Again, welcome to the board, and hope you find your answer soon.

Shalom, Shirl
  4. tes

tes New Member

Welcome to the board! Lots of good and informative people here. I'm glad you brought up such an interesting question. I have had fm for about 9 years and have been through many ups and downs. Over the last couple of years I have been feeling alot better than usual and learned good coping mechanisms to deal with this illness. However, this past July I had dental work done as well. Not as major as yours but I was given general anesthetic to have some cavities filled. Well, about a week after my visit to the dentist, I got into such a bad flare like never before. I had new symtoms develop, like what I had wasn't enough. We are now almost end of November and I'm just starting to feel abit better. Wonder if there's any connection between this. I did however think that it could've been from the dentist visit. Hope your flare is short lived and maybe someone else will come along and give us some additional advice. Take Care

Tes
  5. 2BPainfree

2BPainfree New Member

I had a tooth break last year and had a porcelain crown put on. I ended up in a severe flare that Triggered "BAD" TMJ which I had never had before. Migrains and even vomiting from the headaches followed with a total flare.

I'm afraid to go back...still need another cracked tooth fixed!

Susan
  6. selmad

selmad New Member

Try this Dentist in CA if you can afford to travel--- the article I read claims he can restore tooth/cracks without grinding the tooth down to a stub and putting a crown on which sets you up later for tooth failure (dies) and then you need an root canal which can even be worse in terms of the health consequences from root canal. Call and get their information packet--they also have compatability testing for dental materials to make sure the materials are compatible with your body.-- Center for advanced Dentistry Richard Hansen DMB director 1-714-870-0310. I wish I had spent the money and now in place of my vacation and had the best dental work done possible with the miniumum amout of toxic substances in my body.. ....I really regret now having this crown done--escpecially since it is partly made of metal. Should have never done it. I guess there are also different types of porcelain that can be toxic as well..... I'm sure in 25 years we will look back on what they are doing with dentistry in horror.
  7. Nannibel

Nannibel Member

Hi, your post caught my eye, because I just had a crown put on today! In fact, the dentist suggested that I get a gold one instead of a porcelain one because gold is the one metal that hardly anyone is ever sensitive to. I did, however feel really bad after he prepped my tooth before the crown which was last week. The stuff he put in my mouth to cement the temporary down actually felt like it was burning my mouth and tongue. I don't know what it is about dental work, but I swear I start feeling pain the minute I get their office, I was thinking maybe its just nerves but now I'm wondering if in fact theres alot of toxic chemicals they use and I am so chemically sensitive that I start feeling bad around them. Hopefully the crown itself won't be causing the problem it might just be all the other stuff they use.