Fibromyalgia vs. Chronic Myofascial Pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bpmwriter, Aug 28, 2005.

1. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

i recently purchased the trigger point therapy manual which has been mentioned many times on this board. actually, i'm going to a massage therapist this week and going to take the book with me. i've done all the work! i can show her exactly where the problems are.

i'm curious to know from those who have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia, beyond the formal tender points, are you able to find points of extreme pain/soreness in your muscles? i've been working with a tennis ball on some spots on my rear end and back, and also massaging my calf muscles with my knees (which absolutely kills by the way, very painful). it's all got me to thinking that i have a serious problem with trigger points either from chronic tension and/or poor posture for years on the job. i've always been spotty on the fibro tender point test and never had pain in all four quadrants of my body, mostly back and legs.

i'm just wondering if people with textbook fibromyalgia are able to find these sore points on their muscles, or if it's more of a constant all over ache??

eddie
  2. Francey54

Francey54 New Member

Dear Eddie:

I have alot of painful trigger points such as in my jaw area, my entire face, head and neck. These are not part of the 18 tender points that confirm Fibromyalgia (you only have to have 11 to be confirmed as having FM, I have ALL 18 ugggghhh). I think that we all have tender and trigger points that hurt like the dickens.

I can feel for you because sometimes I just want to have my entire face, jaw and head massage to death!! Thats how painful it feels.

Hope you feel alot better with the massage. I LOVE massages they do help.

Hugs,
    Francey

3. jaltair

jaltair New Member

I have pain all over in my joints and muscles at times and have also have used the tennis ball to get at trigger points that are deep into muscles, especially the sciatic type of pain that I get at times.

In addition, I have myofascial pain in the shoulders, probably from working as welll as bone spurs in the C 4-5 that poke inward toward the nerve, and massage and nice hot baths helps tremendously.

The tender points are different on me, and massage doesn't really help those that much. As a matter of fact, if mine are touched, it's just too painful, and I'll back away from the touch. They are very different from the other areas where I have pain and where massage and heat seems to help.

The tender points that I have are in various places on my body, and at times, they just send off pain messages all on their own. The feeling is like you have been bruised by being hit or given a shot, but there is no visible damage. The pain can be annoying for sure from the tender spots. Nice hot baths do help the tender point pain, but not manipulation of any sort.

Jeannette
  4. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

hopefully my massage therapist will be able to locate the trigger points and make a confirmation. for instance, i can grab the muscle on my inner thigh, pinch into it and it hurts like crazy. but i can't necessarily find any kind of pea sized knot like the manual describes. so i'm really unlcear as to whether this is fibro pain or a trigger point. i suppose i could have both, which is a real hoot. oh, this dd!

e.
  5. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

It is common enough that a book has been written about it titled (what else but) "Fibromyalgia & Chronic Myofascial Pain". It was written by two people who have both named Devin Starlanyl and Mary Ellen Copeland.
  6. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

i actually checked that book out at the library the other day. it's certainly beginning to seem like i have both FMS and CMPS. it's a bit of a qunadry because deep muscle work is not good for fibro, yet you have to go deep to get to those trigger points. it seems that the trigger points in my shoulders and neck are resolved with chiropractic adjustments, so perhaps i'll just stick with those. the pain in my back and legs may be just good ol' fibro and there's not a lot i can do about that!

e.
  7. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Dear Eddie,
    The way I understand Fibromyalgia, is that both the trigger points and the myofascial inflamation go together, and that fibro cmes and goes in stages.

I have triggerpoint pain and also all-over body pain . My myofascial "web" is also extremely inflamed, in areas. I don't see them as a "vs", but as various expressions of the same illness. What do you think?

'Terry