Fibromyalgia vs Mostly Raw & Mostly Vegetarian Diets

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by RadioFM, Apr 16, 2015.

1. RadioFM

RadioFM Active Member

Part 1

Doctor's Note

"One thing all sufferers should consider is an aspartame-free trial period (see Aspartame-Induced Fibromyalgia)."

"Why do plant-based diets help with chronic pain conditions? There may be a number of reasons why vegetarians only have about half the odds of being on painkiller drugs (see Say No to Drugs by Saying Yes to More Plants). Potentially inflammatory compounds in animal products include Neu5Gc (The Inflammatory Meat Molecule Neu5Gc), endotoxins (The Exogenous Endotoxin Theory), and animal proteins (Diet & Rheumatoid Arthritis)."

"On the other hand maybe the potassium in plant foods modulates adrenal function? See my video Potassium and Autoimmune Disease. If it is the Anti-Inflammatory Antioxidants, then that could certainly help explain it. See Antioxidant Power of Plant Foods Versus Animal Foods."

"check out my associated blog posts: Plant-Based Diets for Psoriasis, Plant-Based Diets for Fibromyalgia, and How Probiotics Affect Mental Health."

"If you haven't yet, you can subscribe to my videos for free by clicking here."
  2. Sherpa_

Sherpa_ Member

I was on plant based diets - tons of salads, organic green drinks, tofu and brown rice - for 15 years and found they were not healthy or sustainable for me. The theory is very attractive, but the reality, for me... was that many of the staple foods and calorie sources in the veggie diet contained goiterigens, oxalates, phytates, and far inferior quality fats and proteins to the paleo/whole food options. I did not thrive.
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
    Alyssa-Admin likes this.
  3. RadioFM

RadioFM Active Member

I have found a high fat dairy free ketogenic diet that utilized anti inflammatory benefits of fish has work the best for me. Please review the nutritional aspect of healing I utilize to super charge my Mitochondria today (Here)
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
    Alyssa-Admin likes this.
  4. Alyssa-Admin

Alyssa-Admin Active Member

I think unfortunately, it is still trial and error for many of us in order to find what actually works well for us and makes us feel better. For me, although I am not a lover of meat, it certainly keeps me feeling full and sustained. I do try to have fish a few times a week, but unfortunately struggle to find fish that is both affordable and is organic. The best I can find is that with the 'sustainable' stamp on it. I am pretty sure that I have yeast overgrowth. In fact, I am pretty sure that most of my fibro friends have this as well....knowing the number of antibiotics they have been on and their diet (crap).

I admittedly haven't kept up with the ginger juice...but have been making smoothies with Turkish thick yogurt (high in fat), almond milk, whey protein powder and frozen berries. It is delicious! And with the whey protein in keeps me going through the day until dinner time, when I tend to have a larger meal together with my hubby.

Anyhoo. Hope you all have a good, pain free week! A.x
  5. Dkw41127

Dkw41127 Member

vegan diet rob's you of your ability to build healthy collagen, especially type 1, it also depletes your healthy non oxidized choleSTEROL which you need 3,000mg of daily, 1,000 just for you brain, the liver will self digest your own muscle to make it, but this is a better read
  6. jkennedy

jkennedy Member

I feel best when I eat a mash-up of Perlmutter's Grain Brain low-carb principles and Diana Schwarzbein's ideas. I eat some protein with every meal and snack, healthy fats--mono and saturated (no trans fats, ever), and mounds of produce, even with breakfast. I also avoid gluten except for rare occasions. I avoid almost all sugar except for a small square of very dark chocolate each day.

For breakfast this morning I had 2 eggs scrambled in coconut butter, fennel, red bell pepper, and nuts. This kind of meal carries me a long time.

However, on the rare occasions that I travel, I do let myself eat gluten once or twice on a trip.

I recently got back from Philadelphia, where I visited with my 2 closest friends. One of them made pasta one night, and I ate a lot of that and also garlic-Parmesan bread. (I don't eat bread at home because low-carb gluten-free bread is an atrocity, IMHO.)

Afterward, I had a big fibro flare, probably caused by inflammation from the gluten. It calmed down quickly when I took magnesium and other natural anti-inflammatories, but it was the first time I've ever noticed the connection between increased pain and gluten.
    Alyssa-Admin likes this.
  7. Alyssa-Admin

Hi there! Yep. I have not been physically able to eat bread due to my gastric lapband (and problems with protein as well...) until I got it unfilled (so the restriction isn't there...And we have been having stuff with gluten. (8 yrs without be able to eat a piece of toast is novel!). HOWEVER. Pain is higher, and I crashed out for 3 hours on the kitchen (on the sofa), whilst 3 adults made tea from the kettle (2 ft beside my head). I was dead to the world! The other things that really affect me are eggplants and tinned, if I have anything with those, within 2 hrs I am in a massive flare up! People don't realise the significance that food plays in regards to pain management...

In regards to produce - are you eating things that are higher in fructose ie bananas, grapes? Or do you stay away from those as well?

I am getting ready to start a new eating regime that apparently many people with FM are doing well on. High protein, high good fats, and also a goodly amount of produce as well....I forgot how good an orange tastes I have been low carbing (and struggling with it) for so long!

8. jkennedy

jkennedy Member

Hi, @Alyssa-Admin. I mostly eat non-starchy vegetables with occasional fruits in small amounts such as frozen blueberries or apple slices. And I don't eat those fruits without some protein and fats.

I do stay away from the high-sugar fruits such as bananas and grapes except a little bit on a rare occasion. I really do feel better when I eat in such a way to keep my blood sugar stable. I do plan on having a piece of pecan pie this Thanksgiving, though!
    Alyssa-Admin likes this.
  9. Alyssa-Admin

@jkennedy you just had to mention pecan pie! They don't do that here in the UK (I am originally from Canada, and am well acquainted with them...and their counterpart...the butter tarts....the sugar... :(

Admittedly, my favourite treat at the moment is whipping up a smoothie with frozen berries and Turkish yogurt. I really don't think I could completely give up dairy, at least not at the moment! Funny how you are already thinking of Thanksgiving and your treat! I get that! :)

I really need to stabilize my blood sugar as well...through diet. I was at the doctors today and as I have had a few incidences of hydradenitis supportiva (horrible boils due to blocked sweat glands) and she mentioned that type 2 diabetes can be connected...I am scared to have my bloods done right now tbh! I am waiting til I am back in the swing of things and eating properly.

The biggest thing that we struggle with here are the prices of fresh food...I am sure it is like that in many places. It is pre packed, comes from all over the world...expensive and rarely farm fresh. At least it is that way at the big supermarkets. Eating healthily doesn't always come cheaply! I think it is finding those few things that you can make and enjoy so that you are buying a limited amount of things and getting a variety of meals out of them.

10. jkennedy

jkennedy Member

It's funny to me that frozen blueberries taste so much better than fresh, for some reason. It's nice to enjoy them year round.

I don't think I could give up dairy completely, either. I don't eat a lot, but I do love 1/8th C of whole milk in my one cup of coffee and a few bites of cheese throughout the day. Occasionally, I eat 1/4 C of whole Greek yogurt. I wonder if that's similar to Turkish yogurt.

I bought clotted cream for the first time recently. In the U.S., it's expensive and imported, so I assume it's less expensive and easier to come by in the U.K.

Anyway, it's fabulous! I had made a pureed roasted broccoli soup and added a couple of spoons of clotted cream to finish it. It's insanely rich and tasty.

That's too bad you don't have many choices available for fresh produce where you live. Are there farmers' markets, or is the weather just too hostile to grow much of anything there?

I'd love to visit Scotland someday. I'm really drawn to wild, dramatic weather.
    Alyssa-Admin likes this.
  11. Dkw41127

Dkw41127 Member