Fibromyalgia Walk-a-thon

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mommiex2, Oct 12, 2005.

1. mommiex2

mommiex2 New Member

Hi,

I was wondering if anybody knew of a Walk-a-thon for Fibromyalgia that is coming up in late 2005 or 2006 in southern CA. With all of the walk-a-thons being held lately I was wondering if there might be one for FMS. I recently lost a close friend who passed away due to complications from the disease. If anyone knows of a walk-a-thon, bike-a-thon, or any other event that is going to be held in the Orange County or Los angeles area, please let me know. Thank you!
  2. lauralea443

lauralea443 New Member

this would be a great idea, I live in So Cal but never heard of one.

I don't think most people think of our disease as being a high priority because it's not terminal. Even though it takes our live away or changes it dramatically.

Blessings
    Laura
  3. abbey23

abbey23 New Member

hey! What a great idea--you know--maybe you should start one! I have never heard of one for FMS--I thought about starting one in TN, but haven't gotten around to it --LET'S DO IT! What a great way to get other supporters and get people to learn about FMS! I do hate to hear about your friend--what type of complications were they? I hate to ask but I did not realize it could be terminal.

Take good care

abbey
  4. dancingstar

dancingstar New Member

There is so little attention brought to this disease, and most of us don't even like to think of it as a serious problem in our own lives because we don't know how we will feel from day to day...but reading the "What Ifs" kind of says it all.

It would be great if we had a national association or something...think I've said this before.
  5. patches25

patches25 New Member

I wonder if maybe it would have to be a wheelchair-a-thon. So many of us can't walk 1/2 block. Would we need porta-potties every few yards? Yes, I like the idea of something to bring a message we need help. Your thoughts are good. Can you come up with another idea. E.
  6. orachel

orachel New Member

Sorry, I just couldn't resist! LOL

Rachel
  7. orachel

orachel New Member

before my insensitive in light of the circumstances joke! So sorry for your loss....a sense of humor about it is what gets MANY of us thru the nightmare. I do know one of our members had a post about her husband doing a bike a thon or something to raise money for fms.....don't remember who, though.

You might want to contact the AFSA (search for their website)...they are a volunteer group that raises money for grants for FM research....Amazing group! I'm sure they could steer you in the right direction. Also, they are doing some INCREDIBLE work right now on our condition that you might want to take a look at.

Again...so very sorry for you and your friend. They say this disease "can't kill you"...but most of us know that in some cases it can. Good for you for trying to DO SOMETHING to further our cause.

Best wishes...
    Rachel
  8. ldbgcoleman

ldbgcoleman New Member

I did the cancer all night walk for my Aunt and was amazed at the cancer patients and survivors that walked! You don't have to walk far. My Aunt who was skin and bones and very sick made it all the way around the track. I was in awe! You could purchase a bag with a candle in it with the survivor or victims name on it. They were lighted and placed arounfd the track. We were all crying! Not one month later my mother in law got lung cancer! Powerful stuff! We could do it! Lynn

By the way we lost my mother in law but my Aunt is still surviving!
  9. dancingstar

dancingstar New Member

...to make me laugh, but first the wheel chair and then the rest-a-thon. Okay, so I know it's serious, but meaning no disrespect at all, it still cracked me up.
  10. orachel

orachel New Member

I'm about 99% sure of it LOL....page me when you're around, and I'll get into some of the info I've recently discovered. Till then, check out afsa site (volunteer site that raises money for fm research)...just incredible what they're doing!!!

And I know this was a serious post, and my goodness, what a serious issue...but can't help but use sense of humor to buoy us up in times of need.

And I just read that the federal government spends less than 70 cents PER PATIENT on FM research! That is ludicrous! IF THEYD JUST DO SOME DANG RESEARCH, IMAGINE THE MILLIONS SAVED IN HEALTHCARE, AND THE STIMULATION TO THE ECONOMY IF MOST OF US COULD GO BACK TO WORK! gRRRR....MAKES ME NUTS SOMETIMES! lol

Hugs,
    Rachel

11. mommiex2

mommiex2 New Member

Thank you so much for all of your responses. Everyone seems so nice on this board. I don"t know a whole lot about FMS but I am trying to learn more about it and want to do something to help. My friend that passed away was part of a group of friends (6 of us) that have been close since 2nd grade. We are now 32 years old. The rest of the group and I were devistated when we lost part of us. We want to do our part, in memory of our friend, to help in aiding the research of this disease. I will check on the sites that were mentioned. Thanks again!!!
  12. sues1

sues1 New Member

You wrote:

I recently lost a close friend who passed away due to complications from the disease.

What kind of complications? It might help us to know what to watch for.

On "jokes" about the walk.......I also started to laugh when I read that. I have such a hard time. But I understand what you meant and thank you for bringing it up.

Does it make anyone mad that we send millions of dollars to other countries that hates us and does not respond with any serious help when we need it?...........And that money could be used for research in our illness and cancer and more.