"fibromyalgia was solved"

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by talper, Jan 25, 2007.

1. talper

talper New Member

for those of you who know doctor lowe, who claims fibromyalgia is mainly metabolic disease.
    i got this newsteller massage today:

"

Fibromyalgia:
    A Medical Mystery Solved:
    The Line of Scientific Evidence

A clear-cut line of scientific evidence now shows that too little thyroid hormone regulation is the main underlying mechanism of what we call "fibromyalgia." Because of that line of evidence, it’s time that we broadcast the news that the problem of fibromyalgia is solved.

Today, I present the line of evidence at the website of the Fibromyalgia Research Foundation: http://www.FibromyalgiaResearch.org/solved. In another document at that website, I will present the technical and irrefutable proof that the problem of fibromyalgia is solved. We will let you know when we post that document to the website.

"

well, consider the fact that its his subject, and that 2 line down he puts "call me for consulting" (although i think he say it in every news teller" make me "doubt" it, although it has to be news.

has anybody heared about it? im going to read now what he wrote, but you think its a discovery?
    i hope the rheumatoogist will be able to write armour thyroid if ill show him the relavent researches and news.

tal

pS:
    this is the link in the post:
    http://www.FibromyalgiaResearch.org/solved
    [This Message was Edited on 01/25/2007]
  2. justjanelle

justjanelle New Member

I know there are several people here on the board who have FM and also take thyroid meds. Can any of you fill us in on how and whether the thyroid meds have helped the FM?

Best wishes,
    Janelle
  3. talper

talper New Member

can someone tell us the exact treatment?
    i dont read english very well, so if you can read this links:

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0FDN/is_3_6/ai_76487136
    http://www.fibromyalgiaresearch.org/solved/

and his site:

www.drlowe.com/

and maybe come with the exact treatment?

thanks
  4. munch1958

munch1958 Member

Doses from 150 mcg. to 300 mcg. of T3 are typical. Some doctors will use small amounts of T3 in combination with Armour. Synthroid is T4 or the non-active version.

There is lots of info about T3 on this board. Go to the top of the page and type in T3 in the search box. Change the content drop down box to content to get hits on where it was mentioned in the body of the text. You can also search for posts by title.

I've been on compounded T-3 since March thru the Fibro and Fatigue Centers (FFC). I am still struggling to get the right dose of T3. I still have quite a few of the symptoms of low thyroid and my blood tests are still low.

Within 4 days of taking T3 I felt like some cotton balls had been removed from my head. I still have fibro symptoms. I am working out and not getting fatigued afterwards. I'm better but not where I want to be yet.
  5. talper

talper New Member

munch, i will appreciate any help you can give me.
    all i need is t3, doses from 150 to 300 mg? (start from 150 and increasing the dose if nothing happen?)

what drugs that contain t3 you know? and does dr lowe uses only t3 drugs, or mixed ones? (like armour?)

can you give me a list of thyroid drugs that can be used in this treatment?

i live in israel, so it maight be a problem getting armour, but hopefully they sell here other drugs.

can you direct me to te exact page of dr lowe treatment describe in a few lines in his site?

hopw it can help me, as im only almost 19 yo(male), and has those pains for only a year+.

im going to a rheumatologist next week, so i want to know exactly what to tell him.
    where is the treatment written exactly?
    and how hard is he drugs like? or its only 1 drug available most places? (and alot of substitutes and generics of course)

tal
    [This Message was Edited on 01/25/2007]
  6. TKE

TKE New Member

>>Doses from 150 mcg. to 300 mcg. of T3 are typical<<

I can honestly say if I took THAT much T3 hormone my heart would explode!

I take 5mg 2 x a day. Tried 15mg & my heart raced & my mood was all over the place. I felt like I was on a hormonal rollercoaster & no one would let me off.

I've had my thyroid meds (Synthroid & Cytomel)tweeked allot over the last 19.5 years. I do feel the lack of enough thyroid hormone over a period of time is what brought my FMS on. However adding T3 has NOT cured me of it.

Not everyone who has thyroid disease or imbalances ends up with FMS.

I'd like to see pure evidence of people who have been given that much T3 & were able to 1.) survive it, 2.) were cured of FMS.

Sorry, but I find this far reaching.

7. talper

talper New Member

tke-have you taked b complex vitamins with your thyroid meds? as dr lowe mentioned to avoid this heart beats??

and regarding my question, can anyone please tell me the drugs i can use, or a legit and understandble source i can go with to the rheumatologist, who never heared of it? (hope he did heareD).
  8. enjoysue

enjoysue New Member

Here is the error

microgram - one millionth (1/1,000,000) gram

mg, milligram - one thousandth (1/1,000) gram

I think those stating that fibromyalgia is solved are only trying to be dramatic and getting there names out there. Where's the studies and bodies of evidence? I was put on a thryoid med for a bit because mine was low and there was no miraculous recovery on my part. Sorry, until I hear or see others who are well I'll say "hogwash." Sorry, that might be a Wisconsin saying or least a midwestern one!
  9. talper

talper New Member

prickles,
    thanks, but i know this list better then the list itself.

i took vitamin d(low level), know about candida, and heared about the antibiotic treatment.

the thyroid is relativly easy treatment, with very few side effect(for example, with guifensin, i will probably die before get better, lol), so i would like to try it.

so if anyone know the exact treatment dr lowe use, i will appreciate any responses.
  10. TKE

TKE New Member

>>tke-have you taked b complex vitamins with your thyroid meds? as dr lowe mentioned to avoid this heart beats?? <<

yes I take B Complex.

Many of us are on T3 hormone med. As I stated too much Thyroid Hormone, be it T4 or T3, will make you go hyper, causing your heart to race all the time, putting you at serious risk of a heart attack. There are also many other symptoms caused by too much thyroid hormone. Been there done that & I don't want to go thru it again.

I know you're reaching for a cure, but to date there is none. FMS causes so many health symptoms & we don't all get the same symptoms. That is why it's been so hard for them to 1.) find a cause & 2.) cure it.

More & more testing/research/etc needs to be done to first find a cause. Once they do that & it has to be the same "cause" with everyone d'xd with FMS, then they can look for a cure.

With me I honeslty feel lack of TH for too many years caused me to end up with FMS. Or it could have been all the stress I was under over a period of years. But what about those who have normal TH levels or high TH levels? Or those who were in accidents, or had surgery, etc & ended up with FMS. What caused them to end up with FMS. There's just too many unanswered questions.

If you try this make sure you track your daily symptoms, BP, pulse, etc. Stop the meds & call your doc as soon as your heart starts to race or you may find yourself in the ER being rushed to the cardiac unit. I sure hope not, but I feel you need to be warned what can happen if you take too much T4 or T3 hormone.

11. Grace4today

Grace4today New Member

Years ago, I saw an interview with Dr. Don Colbert in which he stated that almost without exception, his patients who presented with fibromyalgia and/or CFS all had a slighty lower than normal thyroid function. In many cases, so slight that it would not show on standard thyroid uptake scans. Personally, mine has always been on the "low side of normal", therefore not warranting thyroid med. For a long time, I added natural thyroid supplementation to my daily routine to see if it made any difference, but I honestly didn't see any improvement.
    I am considering starting again though, to see if it helps stem some of my weight gain.
  12. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

That would be great, but I dont' think it's the whole picture.

Clearly many of us have hormone-related issues, but I agree with the others that say it's part of the prob - not the ultimate cause.

I think it's probably a problem in the Hypothalamus/Pituitary Axis which affects both the hormone cascade and the CNS. Most of my problems can be traced back to that point somehow.

Sofi
  13. grace54

grace54 New Member

I too have Hashimottos with fibro/fatigue and have been on t-3. I am up to 125mcg's and no change yet. I believe the thyroid is the first to go haywire on our way to fibro but not the main cause. Dr. teitalbaum says to go to 125mcg then if there is no improvement to go back down. I will check with the FfC to see if they are following his protocol or if they want to keep tweaking it. I am up to raising it as I watch my heart rate and temp.

I believe some of us are resistent to thyroid meds as I have tried so many different combinations and high doses with very little change and my tests still come back on the low side. Being that I am very sensitive to most meds I suspect I'm not utilysing the thyroid meds as well as I could.

I don't believe fibro has been solved and I disrespect DR's who say that and give us false hope. Now some will flood their DR's and ask for higher doses and most will not experiment with thyroid meds. Fibro practitioners have had a lot of experience tweaking meds and are confident that they are safe and that has proven to be so in most cases. I will let all know if I find any improvement in adjusting my t-3. Good health to all
  14. talper

talper New Member

do you all use armour?

can you please help me find the treatment?

i understand dr lowe uses high doses.
    as ive been told here 150-300 mcg.
    is it 150-300 mcg of a "drug" or 150-300 of only t3?? (and in 150 mcg of armour there arent 150 mcg of t3 i guess)
    so i will need to use 150-300 of armou, which how many is it in grains?

is this all dr lowe treatment?

i will appreciate if anyone can give me dr lowe treatment protocol.

thanks.

*and who uses armour here?
  15. acer2000

acer2000 New Member

Eh, I suspect the adrenals are more involved if you are taking thyroid and still have rebound tiredness. Jacking up the thyroid without supporting the Adrenals (if they are shown to be burnt out) isn't the greatest idea. In most cases from what my Dr says, you have to deal with both until you get sustained improvement.
  16. dani78xo

dani78xo New Member

I don't believe it.

I mean, I'm sure that they're right about the variety of causes for FM, but I don't think everyone with FM has a thyroid problem.

I, for one, had every blood test possible when I was being diagnosed--and everything was one hundred percent normal.

Not true for all FM sufferers, but I definitely don't think that all of us have thyroid problems.

And, to point out further, why, if thyroid hormones were the cause of FM, wouldn't they have figured it out already? They would have if it was a common aspect of every patient they studied--but apparently it wasn't.

I get kind of upset when I see things like this--it's false hope, and I think people who claim that their diagnosis, or "solution" to FM or CFS are antagonizing, and maybe just looking for attention.

I'm sorry if this sounded harsh; I didn't mean for it to be.
  17. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

"Normal" levels of many substances in lab tests but the body may not be utilizing them properly. This adds to the problems of treating our illnesses.

My tests were in the normal range but my doc started me on 25 mcgms. of Synthroid and I have felt slightly better. I can obviously make my own T3. Any higher dose and it is too high. It can be dangerous to have too high a dose.

I believe many of us do benefit from thyroid hormone therapy but I strongly disagree that thyroid dysfunction is the cause of FMS and that supplementation of T4 and/or T3 is a cure.

If this doc has had the "cure" for this long, I think we would be hearing about it from other sources than from him.

Love, Mikie