Fibromyalgia

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sgall42, Oct 24, 2005.

1. sgall42

sgall42 New Member

I have Fibromyalgia. I was diagnosed about 1 year ago after a year of my Doctor not having a clue. I go to a pain Doctor and he has pretty much given up on me. I live in Iowa does anyone know of a Doctor in this area that knows how to treat Fibromyalgia patients?
  2. sfrazier

sfrazier New Member

Hi sgall42, I live in Iowa, Ames Iowa to be exact. If you could let me know where in Iowa you live it would be a help. There are a couple of places that you can go to get help depending on where you are located. I'll keep checking here so hopefully will hear from you soon.
  3. NancyOne

NancyOne New Member

My wife has FM also. She has tried every doctor but has finally found one that understands. he gave her a sample of Lyrica. It has been a life saver after only one week. Talk to your doctor about it.

Tom
  4. sgall42

sgall42 New Member

I live in Burlington Iowa. It is clear down south.
  5. Bet2

Bet2 New Member

I just moved to New Mexico and was panicking that I would not be able to find someone to help me control my pain and I was referred to a Hollistic pain center. He does Laser Therapy and a bunch of other stuff.

You might try seeing if there is anything like that over there.

Good Luck, I know it isn't easy trying to find someone.

Bet2
  6. sfrazier

sfrazier New Member

Hi Again Sgall42. The University of Iowa Hospital & Clinics has a Rhuemy clinic that is really good. After being DX'ed with Fibro my doctor sent me there to see if there was anything she had missed or over looked. I saw a Doctor Stafford and she was very good and very nice about things. I hope I'm not breaking the rules here but the phone number to that clinic is 319-356-2430. They are pretty busy so you might have to wait a month for the appointment but it's worth the wait. Hope this was of some help. Hang in there and good luck.
  7. kac1960

kac1960 New Member

Independence Iowa, have seen rheumy in Waterloo but not much help, my family doctor is of more help. I think I will have my family dr refer me to Iowa City, I'm about 60 miles from IA city.
    Thanks sfrazier for the number to Dr. Stafford.
    Nice to see there are people from IA on this message board.

thanks Kathy[This Message was Edited on 10/25/2005]
  8. sfrazier

sfrazier New Member

Hey Kathy and sgall42 we Iowans have to stick together stuck out here in the middle of nowhere. lol. I have to tell you that one of the reason I liked Doctor Stafford so much is because she was the first one that I met that when we shook hands it didn't hurt. I was really impressed with that. She was very gentle and when I appoligized for being so slow she told me not to worry about it and that was the reason I was there. They even offered me a wheel chair for the trip back to the parking area. My son wanted me to get it but that was just cause he wanted to do wheelies with me in the chair. Needless to say he had to deal with mom walking slower then the snails. lol. Good luck.
  9. sgall42

sgall42 New Member

How long have you been going to the clinic? What sort of things has she had you do to help? And what has she done? As for the wheelies it you son sounds like my Husband.
  10. sgall42

sgall42 New Member

Thanks Tom I will but first I have to find a Doctor that knows what they are doing.
  11. sgall42

sgall42 New Member

Thanks for the name and number. I have to have my Doctor here send me up there in order for insurance to pay for it.
  12. Momma25gr8kids

Momma25gr8kids New Member

I live in Lincoln, Ia. If you know where that is you are in a small minority, lol. I'm new here, have yet to be diagnosed, have also seen a Rhuemy(?) in Waterloo -nice not a big help I don't think-. I am preparing to start the whole DR appt. roller coaster again hoping for new results this time. I very much appriciate your post sgall42 and everyones responces as they are exactly what I have been searching for.

Thanks everyone!! I just checked and I found a Dr. on the 'good Dr' page and she's even on my preferred providers list![This Message was Edited on 10/26/2005]