Fibromyalgia

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by Diana, Apr 24, 2002.

1. Diana

Diana New Member

Yo! Everyone,
    I have Fibromyalgia. I wonder if I am more vulnerable to other medical illness or conditions, than the average person is. If so, what are they & why?
    DDL
  2. James

James Guest

Hello,
    I noticed that ya posted this in the general health board.
    Ya should try posting your comment on the FM board, accessable if you click on the message boards buttons above or clicking this link.
    I am sure lots of people will be there for ya to reply to your post.
    <a href="http://www.fibromyalgiasupport.com/chat/messageboards/">www.fibromyalgiasupport.com</a>
    Sincerely,
    James

3. severina

severina New Member

I was just about to ask you to join the fm/cfds board - you will find lots of great people and some fantastic advice.
    Look forward to seeing you there.
    Arlene (UK)
  4. RAMIROSNANA

RAMIROSNANA New Member

HI, MY NAME IS LYNN AND I HAVE HAD FIBRO FOR TEN YRS AND ALSO DEGENERATIVE DISC DISEASE. THIS IS MY 1ST TIME ON THIS MESSAGE BOARD. I HAVE BEEN ON AOL ALT AND SO FAR I LIKE THIS BETTER.
    I WOULD LIKE TO GIVE YOU SOME INFO SO THAT MAYBE I CAN FIND SOMEONE WITH THE SAME PROBLEMS.
    I AM 52 AND HAVE ALWAYS BEEN IN GOOD HEALTH UNTIL THIS HIT ME. IN ABOUT 1988 I STARTED HAVING MIGRAINE HEADACHES AND NOW THAT I THINK ABOUT IT, THAT MAY BE
    THE BEGINNING OF ALL OF THIS.
    IN 1992 IT HIT ME LIKE A TON OF BRICKS, BUT I CONTINUED TO WORK AS A HOUSEKEEPING SUPERVISOR. I LASTED ABOUT A YR AND THEN WHEN I COULD TAKE IT NO LONGER I HAD TO LEAVE MY JOB. THAT REALLY DEPRESSED ME.I AM CURRENTLY ON SOCIAL SECURITY DISABILITY.
    SINCE MOST OF US LOOK JUST FINE,SOME UNKIND PEOPLE THINK I AM JUST LAZY AND DON'T WANT TO WORK.I MADE MORE IN ONE WEEK WORKING THAN I DO ON SSD IN ONE MONTH.
    I ALSO HAVE A TUMOR ON MY PITUITARY GLAND, HYPOTHY-
    ROID DISEASE, AND SEVERE HYPERTENSION. AT THIS TIME I AM TRYING TO RECOVER FROM A BAD CASE OF CELLULITIS THAT I WAS HOSPITALIZED. I TAKE MSCONTIN
    {MORPHINE SULPHATE EXTENDED RELEASE}AND VICODIN FOR BREAK THROUGH PAIN,USUALLY WHEN MY BACK IS BAD.
    I HAVE TO GO RIGHT NOW BUT WILL VISIT THE BOARD
    AGAIN LATER.RAMIROSNANA
  5. Milo83

Milo83 New Member

Read your posting - Welcome..I am fairly new to this board too..I'm usually on the Fibro board..I have also had FMS & degenerative disc disease for about 10yrs..It's a real B****..I'm also on SSD, and I know how you feel, the way people look at you if they know..I got to the point where I say the H*** with them..I know how I feel and what I can and can't do..These people do not see me in my home day after day..Well just wanted to say hi, and please join us on the FMS/CFS board..
    Take Care..Best of Luck to you......
  6. clueless

clueless New Member

Would you please tell me the name of the substance that you take that helps you live a some what normal life. Sure would like to feel that way again. Thank you clueless
  7. MaxFame

MaxFame New Member

WHO WOULD WANT TO COLLECT DISABILITY AND WANT TO BE DOWN RIGHT POOR. Difficult to get food, health coverage, stay out of collections and just plain survive. Here is what I pAnother one I am writing to, you are not alone and I care 04/24/03 04:06 PM

Your Letter is what inspired me to think about what I wrote 04/24/03 04:02 PM

Dear Tam, I really need a friend also. Like your style and how you answered back, that is always important. I ALSO have gone through more than my share and it gets me down, but I keep on tramping, even though I have had many negative thoughts. Like what is the use, no one understands. I have Lupus, Fibromalgia, had cancer, chronic pain all over, spinal stenous, spondylosis, periperal neuropathy, dislocating shoulders , hip and back severe problems and etc. Forgot TMJ and fell and broke 5 teeth. I go 3 times a week to physical therapy, 2x to a chiropractor, who uses an activator, 3x/wk to the YMCA to exercise in a therapuetic pool, see a therapist, belong to womens group therapy, see a Rheumatologist, Psychiatrist, oncology GYNist, go to church, "PRAY", belong to a lupus support group, Fibromyalgia group, Cancer support group, Nami, Advisory Bd. for a Mental Institution, Advisory Board in the Mental Health dept., Advocate for all kinds of polictical issues and the Mentally ill. I have 2 Masters and am fighting not to be flat on my back. I collapse a lot but keep trying. I take computer classes at Continuing Educ. in a local college, plus other courses, such as, horticulture. This was cathartic for me. I am on SSDI, thus in trouble financially, Been divorced, live alone, and don't aLways eat right or take my medicine or pay bills __(with no money). Struggling to keep my house. All I can say to all this is:

"I AM TRULY BLESSED AND HAVE LEARNED A LOT ABOUT LIFE".

THIS HAS BEEN THE FUNNIEST COMMENTARY ON ME I HAVE EVER SEEN!!!

I JUST NEVER LOOKED AT IT IN ALL ONE LUMP!!!

******** IS NOT LIFE A MIRICLE********

osted.
    [This Message was Edited on 04/27/2003]
  8. Frogdogger

Frogdogger New Member

Yes, definately. It effects everything. Since it is apparently something wrong in the immune system that makes since. Any injury or surgery will probably increase your pain level as the condition is a pain amplifier problem. Also, any stress to the human body affects rest and energy levels, and lowers your resistance to colds, etc. The fibro board will be great for you to refer to and plug in to other fibros. Also, the chat rooms are great for immediate human contact. I wish you well. Diane
  9. mgb422

mgb422 New Member

what was the substance that chas mentioned about making symptoms of fibro better? i never saw the answer
  10. azcactuslil

azcactuslil New Member

Diana,
    I'm new to this board but not to Fibromyalgia. Damn stuff! It does affect everything you do but I haven't found that I am more suseptible to other illnesses. When I do get sick with something else, injured, or have to deal with a stressful situation, it causes my Fibro to flare.

I thought I was going to have to go on disability but have found a combination of meds and docs that are working for me. I am taking Lexapro and Wellbutrin to keep my seratonin levels up and help deal with stress. I have been on them for a while but last year I had a struggle with depression and anxiety attacks so Zoloft was changed to Lexapro. I have changed from Neurontin to Topomax, an anti-seizure medication which helps me with muscle spasms. I have a lot of problems with my legs and shoulders spasming. Flexiril - muscle relaxant, as needed and Ambien to sleep. Every two weeks I have a shot of Tordol (sp) for pain and every month 4 trigger point injections of cortizone. I do have a prescription for Vicodan but use it very sparingly because I don't want to get hooked. I also make regular visits to my chiropractor. She's a godsend. It sounds like alot and I have a tackle box full of pills but I am still working. I am able to live a fairly normal life for the most part. I still have pain but am able to cope with it.

Carrie
  11. dolsgirl

dolsgirl New Member

I suggest you go to the fibromyalgia board, it's loaded with info. dolsgirl