Fibromyalgia

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by chips, Dec 6, 2002.

1. chips

chips New Member

Does anyone have a diet that helps fibromyalgia? I am newly diagnosed and I am having a hard time with the right medicines for sleep and pain, I am active and go to the gym usually five days a week. I think I need some help from people who have been and are there. thanks chips
    [This Message was Edited on 12/06/2002]
  2. chips

chips New Member

Does anyone have a diet that helps fibromyalgia? I am newly diagnosed and I am having a hard time with the right medicines for sleep and pain, I am active and go to the gym usually five days a week. I think I need some help from people who have been and are there. thanks chips
    [This Message was Edited on 12/06/2002]
  3. mamusia

mamusia New Member

Welcome to the support group. I am not sure about a special diet for Fibro, but I am on a special diet because I am reactive hypoglycemic. My physician is having me follow a very strict diet that is based on proteins with minimal if any carbs and sugars. Has your doc told you if you are hypoglycemic?

Mamusia
  4. momof3dancers

momof3dancers New Member

I know that there are alot of ppls here on this diet or that.. and there is alot of info .. if you want to do a search here on the boards.. just enter "diet" .. and you will find some info.. or I know that I did a search on Yahoo.. andI entered "diets for fibromyalgai" and got a lot of info.. I know that there are a lot of vegens and I have seen some info tnat the Adtkins diet has worked for some.. but as I am sure that you know you really aught 2 talk w/ your doc first b4 you change your diet..Personaly I have notice quite the change in not having the DIET PEPSI!! (aka ASPERTAME) Best of luck to you and WELCOME TO THe BOARDS!!!
  5. Myth

Myth New Member

Wow, you go to the Gym! I just want to say that I am impressed you are physically active still, and I hope you do not decrease your activity because of the pain. Anyway, as an active person you probally know protien is good to eat when you are engaging in a fitness program. And I was told that I should increase my protien intake and decrease my refined sugars. Don't know if that helps any. I try to pay attention to what I eat, some things bother me more than most. Alcohol is a definiate no no; it gives me an all over body hangover.
  6. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi Chips, a big welcome to our world of FM/CFS. '

I am not much of an eater, small meals, not to much sugar, no soda's with caffeine/sugar free either.

But I am unusual, I don't eat very much, but I did fine a book in my library that may help you. Here it is;

'The Fibromyalgia Nutrition Guide' by; Mary Moeller, LPN and Dr. Joe M. Elrod.
    It also has some recipes. It might get you started in the right direction.

So many of us are different. For an example; I can eat/drink dairy products without a problem, many can't have any dairy.

You are doing wonderful with the exercise, the best I can do is walk at a normal pace, and I stay on my own grounds, do not like to walk on concrete or black top streets, it tires me. Plain old soil is just fine.

I can eat wheat products, (nothing with white flour, it will make me sick). Others can't.

It just goes on and on.

I would say that the worst things to eat for us is; sugar, white flour, aspartame, MSG (this will kill me!), too much coffee/tea with caffeine, liquor in any form, and a lot of others in these catagories. I probably left a lot out as I am a very poor eater.

Glad you have found us Chips, and hope we hear from you often.

Shalom, Shirl