fibromyalgiaSwolen hands and feet

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by CJSalopek, Feb 5, 2007.

1. CJSalopek

CJSalopek New Member

Do any Fibro patients experiance swolen hands and feet? In anyone's opinioun would it be possible for a 30 year old female that is having severe back and joint pains and has swolen hands and feet to have fibromyalgia?
  2. fungirl2100

fungirl2100 New Member

My left arm (I'm a Southpaw). Has horrible swelling & turns color especially in the forearm. Nothing really in particular brings it on. I have also lost all my reflex in this arm as well. As for feet & legs on occasion that has happened with reddish blotchy discoloration.

You may want to mention it to your doctor if you haven't already.

love your understanding friend,
    fun
  3. nancyclaborn

nancyclaborn New Member

I have just been diagnosed as having fibromyalgia - I call it Fibro for short. For the last 2-3 years I have had swollen hands and some ankles but my feet hurt to walk on them at first rising in the morning. I do not know if that is related or not. As I understand it you could have a few other things wrong with you and no one knows but the dr. you see. You could see a rhumatologist(sp?) and he will would say maybe fibromyalgia and then another might say Chronic Fatigue syndrome as they are closely related. Please have your Dr. refer you to one of these Dr.'s for futher evaluation. This is really depressing to me
  4. ravenpaige

ravenpaige New Member

CJ and Nancy,

From what I understand from talking to at least one lady that has fibro that I go to church with, Fibro can come with swelling. She says sometimes her arms swell up a lot and it is very painful.

However, my daughter was also diagnosed with fibro, and she has no swelling, but lots of pain.

This is one of the things that confuses me. I had always understood that fibro was pain without inflammation, but swelling seems to indicate inflammation.

This may be an even more depressing answer, but since I've been dealing with this for about 10 years, I've come to believe that a lot of doctors just throw out fibro or CFS when what they're really saying is "I've tested you for everything that's life-threatening, and you don't have any clear indication of those, and so now it comes down to some real detective work that I don't want to do, so I'll just throw out 'fibro' or 'CFS', write them a script for a pain killer or an antidepressant, and send them on their way."

If you find yourself with a doctor like this, you probably need to look for another doctor. There are some good doctors out there who will try to work through the other possibilities and either cure you, or at least help you control the symptoms so you can get back a big part of your life. You can also do a lot yourself by learning about your symptoms, what might cause them, and what might help. But it does take time.

The point is to not give up and not just accept that things will always be this way. New breakthroughs are being made all the time, and many have actually come in just the last couple of years. Both fibro and CFS have started to gain real recognition, and the more people that are demanding real answers (I'm convinced) the faster they will come.

I've taken to telling doctors that I don't really care what they call it, or call it nothing at all. I have these specific symptoms that I've had for over 10 years, and I want them addressed: cured if possible, treated if not cured. Many don't like hearing that, but I weed out the good from the bad very quickly.

Best of luck. Hope you keep checking back here because there are many people who care and understand, and this, in itself, can help immensely.

Terri
  5. FibroPainSufferer

FibroPainSufferer New Member

I was talking to one of my co-workers last week about the pain in my hands & she said my hands looked swollen to her. I’ve been recently diagnosed with fibro also so I don’t know why my hands were swollen. I thought maybe it was due to the cold weather here. Recently, the temperatures dropped into the single digits.

I hope you feel better!!!
  6. momXtwo

momXtwo New Member

Both my hands and my feet swell constantly, and are painful. As it is with FMS, different symptoms present themselves at different times, but when I originally began my quest for answers, my feet felt like they were on fire, as if in a bed of hot nails piercing them. My hands felt like someone had blown them up and they were tingly, and also had piercingly painful jolts going through them. I couldn't and still cannot wear my wedding rings, so I just went out and bought a simple band that I wear everyday.

I think it's one of those things that comes with the territory, honestly. Lots of people with FMS that I've spoken to have this symptom. I hope your swelling isn't accompanied with pain.

Stephanie
  7. amfm

amfm New Member

My hands & feet FEEL like the are swollen, and hurt really bad at times. Sometimes I find it hard to hold a pen in my hand & write. They do not look swollen, but my veins in my hands and feet do enlarge (especially in the heat) and I have to run them under cool water to relieve the burning pain.

-Anne.
  8. Shalala

Shalala New Member

I have problems with that too.
  9. kriket

kriket New Member

I have this also from time to time. Guess so, as a massage therapist, my hands will swell and from standing so long, my feet are sure to swell.

Kriket