Fibromyalglia Disease or Syndrome

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by IlivetocantoronXena, May 9, 2006.

1. IlivetocantoronXena

IlivetocantoronXena New Member

From my years of experience with Fibromyalgia all I have read and heard, my Doctors say it is a Syndrome and not a Disease.

Would like to see what input others have experienced with their Doc's and information they have read about Fibromyalgia?

Thanks,
    Michelle
  2. TxSongBird

TxSongBird New Member

My Dr. who has treated my Fibro for over 8 years classifies it as a syndrome.

TxSongBird
  3. stillsmilin

stillsmilin New Member

Excellent answer prickles, you wrapped it up real nice.
  4. insanelady

insanelady New Member

My doc says it is chronic pain for which there is no cure for. Go figure!!!

Rosie
  5. suzette1954

suzette1954 New Member

I now call it a disease because I want to. Mine is progressive and is dystroying my brain as well as my body and emotions and even though noone understands what we go through but us, I want the others to realize Im fighting for my life everyday, so mine is a disease and Im sticking with it!!

Suzette
  6. puddin827

puddin827 New Member

I call it a Disorder.........whatever the word for it I DON"T LIKE IT
  7. IlivetocantoronXena

IlivetocantoronXena New Member

Yes You all very good thoughts, syndrome does not sound to to serious. Condition really has no impact. DISEASE IT IS!!
    PEOPLE MIGHT BE MORE UNDERSTANDING THAT THE NAME SYNDROME. Yes I agree we are lucky today to have a name for it. When I got first dx it was a waste basket diagnosis. It has come some way in the 10+ years I have had it just think what another 10 years can do for this FIBROMYALGIA SYNDROME.
    Thank-You all for your input.
    Gentle Hugs,Michelle
  8. julieisfree05

julieisfree05 New Member

I call it a neurological disorder, and if pressed I add that it also affects the immune system.

My neurologist is convinced that it is primarily neurological, but most neuros will not address it properly until the etiology it determined - then it will be a "disease" instead of a syndrome.

When filling out the paperwork to get me a baseline discount on my electric bill (I'm heat intolerant and live in the Mojave Desert!), he stated that I have a disabling neurological condition, simliar to MS (which also causes heat intolerance), and need to have a very cool environment for optimum functioning. It was approved immediately.

julie (is free!)

I'm not ready to make nice
    I'm not ready to give in.. - The Dixie Chicks