Fibrotears's update

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Fibrotears, Jan 17, 2006.

  1. Fibrotears

    Fibrotears New Member

    Hi, everyone.

    I went to my ob/gyn today and yes, in my heart I hoped that he had a solution for me. But...

    I almost swollowed my tongue!! He wants me to go to a sex therapist or something. And I'm not even sexually active and NEVER was before. My christian believes is that it belongs in the marriage. He thinks that I have some sort of hang up about, over sex and that might be the reason that that spesific muscles is in spasm.

    Can you believe it! I don't have a hang up and I've told over 25 specialists that I was not sexually abused, raped etc.

    What do I do??? I'm not going to a clinic where they treat sex addicts etc. I'm 21!!!!

    I know that he is trying to help. But I'm not feeling comfortable with his suggestion. But I don't want him to think that I'm not willing to do whatever it takes.


  2. NyroFan

    NyroFan New Member

    I am sorry you are running into trouble in that department. Why not try a psychologist of your own choosing: one who is not a sex specialist. That would give you more autonomy.
    You can say what you want and do not say what you do not want to say. And that would placate your doctor that you are 'seeing'somebody. He needn't know if you just talk about the weather of anything else. At least he will think you are going somewhere. And the good thing is you can pick your own professional. Just a suggestion.
  3. maripat

    maripat New Member

    Honey simply put "DUMP YOUR DOCTOR"
    Honestly, he is not the right person for you.
    Find someone new and transfer your medical records.
  4. NyroFan

    NyroFan New Member

    If you are certain you want to get rid of this doctor: all well and good, but you might want to give it another shot which is where my suggestion comes from.
    I am an advocate of changing doctors, but if you are not willing to give him up, you might want to read my post
  5. minimonkey

    minimonkey New Member

    I cannot believe your doctor said that!!!!! I'm sure he means well, but I can't begin to imagine how it felt to be on the receiving end of that statement.

    This disease is so weird -- it really baffles doctors. So much easier for them to believe it is psychological rather than admit they don't have a clue. Personally, I'd find a new doctor.

    Your pain sounds absolutely horrible -- makes mine seem mild by comparison. Fibro can cause spasms anywhere in the body apparently -- you have them in a most unfortunate place, and that probably sets you up for ignorant doctors to read psychological meaning into it. Yes, there is a mind/body connection in most folks, but fibro trumps that -- it takes away our ability to relax our muscles. I can't imagine how hard it is to function with that kind of pain!

    I just looked at your profile, and saw your beautiful young face and bright smile, your hopes for the future, etc. and then I thought about you in all that pain and I started crying. I hate this disease, I hate what it steals from us -- from all of us. You deserve so much more than that -- you deserve a chance to go to college, enjoy your studies. have fun, meet a wonderful guy and get married -- you deserve a normal life. We all do. I will keep you in my prayers.

    My own therapist (who is brilliant, and I've been with him for over 10 years) still sometimes tries to connect my pain to my traumatic background. I've been educating him on the research on fibro, and he is now beginning to understand that it is really a physical condition, I think.

    [This Message was Edited on 01/17/2006]
  6. lolee

    lolee New Member

    I guess if you had been sexually promiscuis at 13 he'd be okay with that.

    When I had to get a pschologist I made sure she had 'Christian Counseling" listed as one of her areas of practice. It has made all the difference in the world.

    Quite frankly I think I would find some way to report him, once you have someone else though. That is the most absurd thing I have EVER heard!!!

  7. musikmaker

    musikmaker New Member

    Hi Fibrotears, no I can't believe your Doc. You know in your heart you don't need this so just don't do it. Stand strong and believe in yourself. You know you have a physical illness. So, keep searching for the right Doctor. This DD is hard enough without going to a Doc who doesn't believe in you. I haven't been on this board all that long but I am finding all of this bigtory towards us unbelievable. I am not a Christian but I am sending you all the good thoughts I can. Believe in yourself!!!!
  8. Sandyz

    Sandyz New Member

    I feel so bad for you. Doctors like this just aren`t acceptable. With Fm we can get muscles spasms everywhere and anywhere in our body. I don`t think you need a sex therapist either, just a wise doctor. Maybe try to get another opinion going to another gyno/ob. See if you can find a women doctor. Some of these men doctors are so stupid about women`s issues.

    I hope and pray you`ll get lead to a good doctor that will help you. We`re here for you sweetie.

    Soft hugs to you,

[ advertisement ]