Fifty SEX is open for Business....Loungers

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by spacee, Aug 24, 2010.

1. spacee

spacee Member

HRN, 250 pairs of earrings go girlfriend! That is great. I think about
    you every time we go by the discount bead business.

I just finished watching Bonny Hunt. She had Carol Burnett on and it was Carol's
    birthday. Bob Mackie made all those fabulous costumes they used on Carol's show.
    Bonny asked what Bob used in the bras to make "them bigger". Rice (non cooked).
    It allow the cups to move as if natural (an pretty saggy sometimes..LOL).

At the end of the show they had 5 little girls come out dressed head to toe as a
    character Carol played on the show. Wigs, costumes perfectly done. It was
    quite funny cute/funny.

I couldn't resist the title of the thread :)

Someone needs to do something around this place today. I sure hope someone
    does it. Gordon and I have different philosophies. I feel if the clutter is dealt with
    maybe no one will notice the dust. I'm glad there are all kinds of us on this planet.

Love you kids..

2. Ranigar

Ranigar Member

I'd like to report a missing post.If anyone finds it please return because I forgot what I wrote.A lot of you say that it has happened to you but it's a first for me.Maddening isn't it?

If I remember anything important I'll return otherwise have a pain free day.

Oh yeah,I said I was fuzzy today.
  3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Jan and Jole, good to see you back. Spacee, I love Carol Burnett. Wish I had
    seen the above show. Maybe it will show up on Youtube.

Lots of Carol on Youtube. Also Mama's Family shows. The dysfunctional
    family as comedy. Funny to watch. Hell to live with.

Time out. The landlord was just here. Asking me in accusatory tones about
    our broken window. Haha! We didn't know it was broken. We can't see it
    because it is hidden by the air conditioner.

Asked me 4 times: And you didn't hear anything? You can tell the blow came from
    the outside because the broken glass is inside the window. Where is Miss
    Marple or Joe Friday when we need them?

Was awake all night as usual. Slept till 11AM this morning. Am on my way to visit
    Zippy with a stop at the library on the way.

Haven't been taking my blood sugar readings because I can't get enough blood for
    the meter to measure. Isn't that ridiculous? Also annoying. Costs about $2 per test;
    even if I don't get any results.

Pam, I looked for your missing post. Couldn't find it either.

Thought I would close w/ a joke. George M. Cohan wrote a song called "Always
    Leave Them Laughing When You Go." (Not one of his best songs.)

All the jokes I could find on the internet were too long or risque or not
    politically correct. But here's the first riddle I ever learned. What's black and
    white and red all over? Answer: a newspaper.

I used to tell that (w/ prompting from mother), but I didn't understand it. Of course,
    since it involves a homonym, it needs to be heard rather than read.

Hugs to alles
  4. victoria

victoria New Member

I've skimmed the messages in the last thread, but, alas, can't remember anything... will have to re-read later. Gee it was only a few hours ago, what is the matter with me?!

Speaking of sleep (Rock), however, which I am speaking about since I was deprived of it the past week due to headaches....
    did you know they (scientists) can tell if you're an early riser or not by your hair?
    As if we individually didn't already know.
    But maybe it will have an impact on swing shift workers, since the studies showed that people do not adjust quickly.
    As if the workers didn't already know it.

Anyway, if you want to read about it, here's the link:

I had a great time despite the sleep deprivation, it was great to see our kids and friends! I also got to see the Dali exhibit in Atlanta, some of the paintings had not been seen publically since the 1950s.

And, it was great to be able to shop and find bargains on clothes, LOL. Now I need to get my DH interested in building a sand filter so we're not so reliant on chlorine, which has been a major culprit in fading/staining all my old clothes. (No way do I want to hand-wash anything!)

I got home to find the roses are blooming like crazy because there's been a slight decrease in rain... they are so wonderfully fragrant!

TTY'all Later... I will catch up on the rest after catching up on my rest...

It's been one of those days where sleep is the first thing thought about after waking up...

5. Ranigar

Ranigar Member

Thanks for looking for missing post Rock.I'm thinking I might not have hit submit.Who knows.

Yesterday was such an off day for me.I put the cap on the gal. jug of fruit punch and stuck it back in fridge only to see hrs. later the cap wasn't on tight.What a mess!By the time I washed it all out my back and legs were on fire.I put on jammies and lay on the sofa til dinner.

I think I'll make chic pot pies for dinner today.Bought crust,frozen veggies and leftover chic.The recipe makes two pies so I put one in freezer to pop in another day.

I'm sorry about your DH Jolee.Farming all those yrs. will make it very hard to retire.I hope he can come to peace and let it go.

My DH are discovering we no longer think alike anymore.It's very strange.We've gone separate ways in a lot of our views and sometimes look at each other and say who are you?I don't mean it in a bad way just when did this happen.Retirement is right around the corner and we're going through this now?His getting off the road and my illness has changed us.We're trying to sort through it and it's keeping us on our toes.
    He's quick to blow up about things and I easily am quick to get hurt feelings and carry it around but not anymore.Now he blows and I shrug figuring it's his problem.He said it's as if I don't care and I don't.The illness makes you see what's truly important and I avoid drama now.He is happy for me and thinks it's healthier but it leaves him speechless for a change.Have any of you had changes similar in the way illness has changed you?I avoid all drama at all costs now.

Pam hitting submit
  6. spacee

spacee Member

Not that I was really "gone" but I caught a bug at the doc's office. I just had to sit next
    to the woman describing this 'summer bug' going around her fam.

Pam hitting submit. I think being sick changes us. I also remember a very funny
    monologue by Bill Cosby talking about his parents getting older. Things that used to "set them off", his mom would just shrug. Not even roll her eyes. I think DH and I already
    know what the other is going to why even go there.

But will have to say your change is a huge one. Retirement, moving. It doesn't like
    we will face that cause DH will cut back drastically but not retire and we are not
    moving. Well, of course, that is if his health keeps up. One never knows about that

I am proud of one of our own's cooking abilities :) The chicken pot pies. I have to
    ask. What makes them better than the frozen ones? Taste? Ok, how about apple
    pies. Aren't they just as good frozen as homemade? Let's take a vote.

Big news is that I am weaning off Ultram and it is not easy. But the time came.
    My doc asked why I was taking it "CNS stimulant and euphoria". He said "Sound
    good!". Actually the euphoria was only a mild upper and didn't last that long. Think
    I've hit the paradoxical and it might be more of a depressant now. Less depression is
    always an improvement.

Jolee, what to YOU think about moving to town?

I am beginning to see why the counselor told me I was "lucky" to lose my health
    at age 36 and not have to face that later. Got it over with. Such wisdom.

Later, loved ones.

I would love to move to Jacksonville but that ain't happening. Just something to daydream about when we are there. Lots of condos, lots of doctors. I'm thinking it must have
    a huge snowbird group there.

I slept most of today, wonder what tonite will bring?

7. spacee

spacee Member

how many more lurkers we have since I put Fifty SEX in the title....Funny.

8. Ranigar

Ranigar Member

I remember Bill Cosby's shows and that is just what I'm noticing with DH.Throw in exhaustion and it makes sense.We saw him onstage in Las Vegas one yr.

Oh no you give me to much credit.Pot pie is bought crust, leftover chic and the sauce is a simple white sauce with thyme.Is it better then frozen?I like certain frozen ones but this is better I think.Mrs. Smith's
    apple tastes kind of homemade but homemade is much better,with frozen crust.I know I have made crust before but it was never so tasty it was worth the effort.Pillsbury works for me.

Son's best friend moved to Jacksonville.A lot of computer jobs there for programmers.Our retirement date is Jan. 2012 but we'll start building next Fall.Now that it's all sorted out as to when and where I have lost interest because it's to overwhelming for me.
    How will this house get cleaned and repairs to put on the market,how will I pack up and sort through?Just a whole can of worms I don't want to even think about.

So my vote is homemade apple pie but even better is apple crisp,my favorite.
  9. spacee

spacee Member

"Fresh is best". That is why it tastes better. I agree with the frozen crusts. It would
    probably take a professional to make them better and worth the effort.

I had gotten into using canned chicken broth for turkey use in dressing and
    gravy. Then I threw the inward part of the turkey and some onion and celery and just
    salt and pepper, if I remember right. Could not believe how much better it tasted.

My grandmother cooked from scratch (naturally...nothing else was invented). But
    canned came along about the time I was a child and and that's what I remember...
    canned spinach. And we ate it. We must have been starving...rofl.

I love apple crisp. I tried to make it about 3 years ago and it wasn't good.

Moving would take so, so much effort. Kind of like the Clean House show. Only
    those people are well. A stack to throw away, a stack to give away and a stack
    to keep. Our easiest move was from one house to another in the same town.
    One car load at a time til it was time for the furniture.

But will keep happy thoughts about it for you. If it is meant to be, it will work out.

Things are pretty sad around here. The TV's aren't working right. It is the cable
    from outside to house. (DH is sad). About the only shows we get is cooking or TLC.
    Monday the repairman will be out.

My birthday is Sat and I am letting you know so you can plan the party SOL!

10. victoria

victoria New Member

so you're older than me Spacee at least by the calendar if not by the year... my b'day is a week from Friday.

Pam I know what you mean in a way, we used to never watch TV news and such; partially cuz we were too busy raising kids and working ... but now my DH is watching news constantly, I can't stand it. It's not even that we differ much in our views, it's just that he is way more involved now than ever, even tho he'd wanted to 'get away from it all' at least in part by moving to MX. As if... there's always TV. I don't even want to discuss any of it.

It was nice to be in the US for the past 2 weeks, my kids don't have TV so I had no clue as to what was going on, didn't read anything online either. Very nice, I must say! Tho I do like to watch an occasional show or movie. And I use it a lot for the music stations.

So I guess there's a hurricane in the Pacific that is continuing to 'give' us even more clouds and rain beyond what the rest of the non-hurricane occurring season has given us. (Sorry, I don't think I could write a more convoluted sentence than that?)

Fresh is always best, even if it's frozen LOL. I wish I could buy a premade pie crust as I am lousy at it, but I have never seen it here. Certainly not the pre-made/rolled out ones. Not even the boxed ones where all you do is add water and roll it out. But I guess that's a good thing, I don't need to be eating stuff with crust other than an occasional pizza. (There's a really good pizza place here with a fabulous view of the lake and mountains, chef/baker came from Italy in fact)

Rock, you're right about dysfunctional families, tho it is funny to watch it being made fun of.... it helps to laugh, maybe? Wonder if anyone ever recognized themselves in one of those shows?! -and said it helped them to change?

OK a joke or 2 or 3 ... since there's one off the Pacific coast, and I think I heard one is heating up in the Gulf:

What did the hurricane say to the other hurricane?
    I have my eye on you.

What's worse than raining cats and dogs?
    Hailing Taxis!

"Everybody is talking about the weather but nobody does anything about it."
    - Mark Twain

PS: Rock, an extra joke for you
    Q: What do you call a detective who solves crimes entirely by accident?
    A: Sheer Luck Holmes
    Tell your landlord you're trying to find his phone number...

[This Message was Edited on 08/26/2010]
  11. spacee

spacee Member

My apologies to Victoria (and all the others I overlook). I didn't mention you getting
    back and your trip. It's odd...I read about it and I think about it during the day and
    then when I go to post, the brain goes another direction.

I'm so glad you had a great time....though sleep deprived and headaches. (That doesn't
    sound like a good time....but I know seeing your kids and getting some new dud at
    a good price was heaven. And the Dali Museum. I am sure doggies and hubby were
    glad to have you back. Maybe glad enough to build a sand filter?

Mark Twain was really a character. I remember seeing a film about his life. I think
    when he left home, his mother probably rarely heard from him again. He was one
    of those who lives life large....I think is the saying. If he had lived today, she could
    have been reading about him on the internet. Ok, maybe he made the papers
    back then.

Do people change? Only the hard way, maybe.

Love you kids,

12. Ranigar

Ranigar Member

Yes welcome back Victoria.No TV at the kids house?Do they read?Play games ?Talk?Rock says he doesn't watch TV.I too have mine on during the day on the music channel.I watch it at night though.
    DH and I don't discuss Religion or politics anymore.Where once we agreed now we don't and I won't argue or debate anymore.I've said to him recently who are you?But once we talked I could still see his wording may be different but basic values are the man I married so that's ok.

Victoria I think it was Butterfly who asked about the violence in Mexico.I've wondered myself about your area or travels nearby.Do you feel safe?Are you affected at all?The news media distorts so much I would hate to believe it's bad everywhere.

DS has decided to use up the garden tomatoes to make salsa.I keep reminding him he said it.So he's off today.
  13. spacee

spacee Member

I am sorry but I am SOL (smiling out loud) at the fact that come partners 'discuss' things.
    DH and I don't. Never have in 40 years. I knew there was something we weren't doing
    maybe that was it! Too late for these dogs though.

Oh, I know what we talk about. His day at the office. Fascinating stuff. Like watching paint dry.GOL (grinning out loud, now). Will say that he is always up on the town's doings like
    who died or is getting a divorce in particular. (CPA's are the 2nd after the attorney to be
    called in a divorce). In fact, he had to read a 150 page document prepared by an attorney
    about his current divorce. I couldn't be a CPA.

Ok, it's a new day. Hope the salsa goes well.

Hugs to all!!

14. victoria

victoria New Member

"Smiling out loud" reminds me of the spanish word for "smile": sonrisa/sunrise even tho sun is 'sol' here, it is just too close for my english besotten mind to the word sun. If that makes any sense.

Thanks for the welcome backs, and welcome back in turn to everyone I missed on the last thread, hope everybody posts again - Barry, Jole, Fight, Jan, ----, (and apologies if I missed your name on top of missing you, I know I'm forgetting someone(s).

Re no TV... not too hard for many to get by without paying anything or at least very little for it these days. So far, at least. My son watches specific shows on hulu and elsewhere on his laptop. My daughter and her BF watch movies, plus she waits to get the whole season of a show on DVD at the video store. (Interesting we still call them 'video stores' LOL, not 'DVD stores'). I sure wish I could access hulu and some other things, they're nuts not letting people elsewhere outside the US watch - the stores are full of relatively cheap US movies, changeable to Spanish or English or other languages.

No, no violence here. Local shopkeepers say there is no problem, and indeed there doesn't appear to be any. Many returned with their teen-aged kids because of the violence in many of the US cities, in fact.

Majority of the violence is along the border and 99.9% of it is drug related. It isn't even that scary to cross the border if driving during the day, have heard reports from people crossing at Nogales and Laredo (and no problems when we did 18 months ago). Even at Tijuana - thousands cross daily there, there's been little violence. One just doesn't go wandering down lonesome roads or certain areas, which I wouldn't do in the US either, as 'miss mary' can be grown in so many places!

There was a report in PV of a grenade type device thrown into a bar the other day, but it wasn't a tourist bar; reports I'm reading now say they've arrested several people and actually think one of them accidentally set it off. Intentional or not, they didn't target tourist or retirees in any case, I think that would have everyone in PV hunting down whoever it is as tourism is hurting so badly.

So, that's the local update................

Spacee that is interesting you and your DH don't talk about at least politics, with so many things going on... or maybe he talks about it with friends and not you? At any rate, even if a couple agrees, I think it causes stress in general just thinking about it. Does for me at any rate, as things I don't agree with just make me feel really helpless.

Seems like the Pacific hurricane must've moved away, the sun's out today, hurray!!!! Now the roses will keep blooming...

Rosa Sueno
  15. Ranigar

Ranigar Member

Thanks for enlightening us with inquiring minds.The media would have us believe anywhere in Mexico but then they are saying that about Chicago with gang activity and I always have felt safe there.Just watch your areas and time of day.
    I've been watching Hulu a lot lately to catch shows I've missed.DS told me about it of course.

Made you smile!My DH have been together since 7th grade so when I say best friends it's very true.Our connection is we know the same people and grew up together so we know each other pretty good.Although lately lol.That's why I've been thrown for a loop.Surprises are sometimes good in a marriage.With my friends when we'd get together as couples I would always say to my DH don't they ever talk to each other!

Hey Happy Birthday in advance if I forget tomorrow Spacee!Same for Victoria's next week.DH has his Tues. and I'm baking a choc. fudge cake with homemade fudge frosting so I'll save two slices.What do you want for your special meal?
  16. spacee

spacee Member

Pam, since 7th grade??? WoW!! You two must be extroverts, maybe?

Hmmm. Nope don't talk about politics or religion though the 3 sons have
    graduated from three different seminaries. Only about his day. ONLY
    ABOUT HIS DAY....did you get that??? jejeje. He is a true introvert, if
    there was ever one born.

Victoria, agree I would be thinking that word was sun. When we were in
    B;ham, the fam (about 9 of us) went to a Mexican restaurant. I told
    DH that it reminded me of home. (ok that wasn't about his day....but I
    was talking :). and he didn't answer.

Oldest son and his wife watch movies and shows like V.'s daughter and
    BF do. That IS funny that we still call it Video stores. Hmmm. Rock
    doesn't watch tv but watches interesting things on utube. I bet you can
    get the best of the best that way plus learn things.

Gonna go lie down. Weaning myself off ultram for my birthday!

17. jole

jole Member

Oh my gosh! Didn't know I was in such good company! My B-day is Sept. 2nd. Doubt if I remember it that day. Daughter's is the 5th and it takes all my brain cells to remember hers! Pam, have an extra peice of that choc cake? :)

Welcome back, Victoria...sounds like a great time with family. Yes, I have worried about you. Even saw where a man from GA was killed in MX and told my hubby I hoped he wasn't related to you...although hubby didn't really care about my concern, not knowing who you are.

Spacee, so I'm not the only one with a non-talking spouse! I've always hated it, especially since becoming sick. With living in the country it's like I don't exist. Oh well. Guess that's how he'd feel if we were in town and I had a smidgen of a

TV - I could live without it easily...too hard for me to concentrate, mostly I use it for company or white noise. But hubby won't give it up. Just like he won't give up our land line phone. His security blanket, I guess, even though we never use that phone! And don't have spare change, much less the money for it.......sigh...

Rock, wonderful landlord you have. Move Skippy in and delegate the guard to him, even if it means keeping the landlord away. Go Skippy!!!

Fresh is def better. My mother was the world's best homemade pie baker. Her crusts would just melt in your mouth, and the merangue would peak beautifully. Unfortunately, I'm neither a cruster or a peaker! Chick pot pie sounds really good.......

It's cooling off here. Was 58 this morning....90 something now. Ready to get my winter coat out. Hugs to all.......Jole

18. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Here's a little birthday verse for our birthday gals, Spacee and
    Joel. I'm posting it now in case I forget; or the computer crashes; or I'm
    too exhaustinized to post.

Roses are red.
    Kumquats are orange.
    My thumb's black and blue.
    Got caught in a door hinge.

Hope you have a very Colorful Birthday!

This is more effective as an e mail since the colors can be
    typed in the appropriate color. But you can use your

Victoria, I had not heard about the correlation between hair
    and early rising. Is this a substantial measurement, or are
    the scientists splitting hairs?

What I had heard about that seems amazing to me, is that
    according to my dr., one of the blood tests he gave me will tell my
    blood sugar average for the last 3 months.

Pam, yes, getting caps on is becoming a big problem. All day
    long I struggle w/ the caps on pill bottles, etc. I drop things.
    I lose my balance. I spill. I can't find stuff. Gets kinda annoying
    after the first 3 or 4 years.

I agree with you: Avoid Drama. After taking an 8 week course
    for adult children of alcoholics, we were told by the therapist,
    "I hope you all have nice, quiet lives from this point on. You've
    all had way too much drama."

With regards to pie crust, I make excellent pie crust. I use the
    recipe on the Crisco can. Well, I used to. Don't bake now.
    The landlord's stove is not level and the temperature gauge doesn't work.

I asked my mother, "What's so difficult about pie crust?" She
    said, "I don't know, but a lotta cooks have a problems with it.
    Maybe it's just one of those things where you have the knack or
    you don't."

Joel, have been going over to Gordon's house everyday. Have
    seen bits and pieces of TV shows. TV has changed so much
    in 7 years. The pace seems greatly accelerated to me.

The camera angels change every few seconds. There are
    continuity gaps. Saw part of a cooking show that was a timed
    contest. The chefs actually ran around the kitchen.

The colors are brighter. Everydobby is smiling all the time. They
    seem totally unnatural to me. And there seem to be 6 or 8 or 10
    commercials in a row.

I only watched one show from beginning to end. You guessed it:

Big bobaloos to all

19. Ranigar

Ranigar Member

I remembered!Ok first off party at Spacee's.Lounge chairs natch,sun umbrellas,big water guns to squirt each other because it's hot in Fl.,Normals for everyone because we are to tired to fetch our own food and drink,Victoria can you provide authentic Mexican band?Bring DH's to man the grills.Flowers everywhere lots of laughter and I'll bake an extra cake which we can eat before the meal.
    Have a great day everyone.
  20. bct

bct Active Member

And make another cake for mine, the tip of the lion's tail, Leo, last week.

Glad to see you back Victoria; I bet you're still tired. Hope yr headaches are a bit better!

T.V. : Some of us watch, some don't. I have music on it in the a.m. (classical); in the afternoon it's usually swing, or fifties. We watch one movie a night, often from netflix, otherwise on TMC (NO COMMERCIALS !) old classics.

I read a heck of a lot too, probably four or so hrs. a day. When I was a little boy my mother always told me I was going to ruin my eyes because I read so much. I've always been a reader, though. And worn glasses since I was seven!

Have Rock and Gordon got a new dog? Skippy? I can't find the relevant post. Maybe someone was talking about peanut butter?

Too tired to continue.... be back later.

P.S. Jole, good to see you again, and h.b. to you too! Living in the sticks like we do can be tough, can't it? But it has its really good points too.... quiet, peace, and more quiet.
    [<i>This Message was Edited on 08/28/2010</i>]
    [This Message was Edited on 08/28/2010]